Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings oaybar007's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Snap, Pop, Whiz at 75mph. Lost A/C and car doesn't want to accellerate. CEL.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Had a strange issue yesterday and of course I cannot find my scan tool. Figured I would post while a new one is en route to see if anyone has any ideas.

I headed down on a 25mile or so trip to downtown Annapolis for cars and coffee and noticed on the way down that the car just didn't feel great. Clutch engagement was feeling really narrow and really near the floor. That's been common in the heat on my car but usually it will not be permanent. Otherwise the car just didn't want to accelerate as easily as it normally does. Yesterday was absurdly humid here in Maryland.

On the way back the clutch engagement felt even more narrow to the point where I had to really finesse my shifts and upon accelerating there was hesitation while merging onto the highway. Then on the highway in 6th gear at about 70mph a couple miles down the road, all of the sudden the car hesitated again, and this time I heard what sounded like something under high pressure let go. It was a sudden pop, blast and whizz and then I lost A/C. That system immediately went into its safe mode in ECON only. I made it home, thankfully.

The car just did not want to move without a kick in the rear, but it would hold normal vacuum and boost. Best I can describe it is, it felt absolutely heavy. No CEL at the time, checked for leaks and all I could visually before it rained like crazy the rest of the day, and nothing to report. I did smell the sweet smell of coolant at the front of the block and that's about it. Nothing else looked out of place.

Today I had a few minutes to drive the car and now I do have a CEL. Vacuum is fine, the car boosts in lower gears, but not reaching boost happily in higher gears. On the highway I put it in 5th gear and it struggled to move past 3k. Coolant smell is still there but not visible. My temp gauge has been dipping to cold and figured the thermostat is on its last legs and planned to address that at end of summer in a timing belt service. It's been about 48k miles/eight years since my last.

I almost feel that I just had two separate systems fail at once. A/C related and then whatever else. This is a strange one.
    Last edited by oaybar007; 06-12-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    2004 Brilliant Red 1.8t 6spd Quattro Ultrasport
    Nappa Leather Recaros | RS4 Pedals | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | Symphony +XM
    Koni Yellow + Eibach Pro Kit | 034 Rear Sway Bar, Engine Mounts, Trans Mount, Control Arms & Tie Rod Ends
    ECS Geomet Slotted Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | 18x8 OZ Ultraleggras w/Pirelli PZero All Season+ 234/40 18
    AEM Dry Filter | Liqui Molly Top Tech 4200 | 145k miles and counting

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You can try removing the accessory belt and see if it runs better. On a B6 that belt only drives the A/C, alternator and power steering. You can easily do without all that jazz for a bit, just leave all the accessories off (lights, blower, radio, etc) and take it for a spin. You will have a charging system warning, and it will be mondo-heavy to steer until it's rolling. So bear that in mind. If you have to do, like...turns and stuff on your test drive - it may not be super fun.

Also make sure it rolls well - that you don't have any brakes hanging up.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Veteran Member Four Rings CyberPMG's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Ultrasport 6MQ

Sounds like several different issues going on at once. For the A/C, could be the compressor gone bad or one of the lines blew out (which would relate to the high pressure popping sound you heard). Sounds like your clutch is going bad if engagement is tricky and can't get above 3k in 5th gear.

The coolant temp needs to be scanned to know better where to look. You should at least look around to find where it's leaking onto the engine. Also check levels to see how fast you're losing it. Could be thermostat. I would suspect overheating if the water pump was going bad.
    USP CLUB MEMBER #34

2004 A4 1.8T USP - GT2871R Eliminator - Motoza program - ER Comp FMIC - Stoptech BBK & lines - JDM SS - CIM gauge - ECS RA4 Stage 2 clutch & LWFW - Fluidampr pulley - RNS-E - RS4 pedals, e-brake, & mirrors - S4 Bi-Xenon ecodes - 19" OZ SLIII - Bilstein PSS9 - B6 S4 Recaros - more stuff...

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thanks for the thoughts. Agree, it's got to be a couple separate issues. My theory at the moment is that I did have an A/C condenser pinhole leak on the little pancake edge/corner of the unit. Looking at it, the metal is discolored, white, as if something happened. Perhaps it took six months, but maybe it caught up with the car. Or a line as you said, or the compressor just let go (I had a chance to search a lot and did not realize so many people had compressor issues). I'm surprised mine lasted 15 years.

Clutch and cooling system otherwise was on my radar as soon replacements but just all at once, wasn't expecting that. Going to get the car on ramps and see what I can find later today. Fresh Vagcom should ship today so hopefully scans later this week and I can start diagnosing from there. I'll post codes up when I've got em.
    Koni Yellow + Eibach Pro Kit | 034 Rear Sway Bar, Engine Mounts, Trans Mount, Control Arms & Tie Rod Ends
    ECS Geomet Slotted Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | 18x8 OZ Ultraleggras w/Pirelli PZero All Season+ 234/40 18

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Figured I'd update everyone thus far. Hex-V2 should be here today at some point but got impatient and did some testing.

First, I got under the car with a flashlight and found no leaks large enough to see. I'm not losing coolant, oil looks good, nice and clean. Brake fluid was just bled during my suspension install and levels there look fine too. Power steering fluid is fine as well. Then I took the car onto the highway, around 25mph I put it into 6th gear and it accelerated up to speed without any slipping or hesitation even. Coolant temp also got up to normal halfway area once things warmed up.

The car is in limp mode though. It will not boost past 5psi. Vacuum still is perfect and nothing jumpy. Still the CEL and no A/C.

On the clutch-
    In April I had a suspension refresh done by a shop and I also had them bleed the brakes. The shop couldn't get the driver's side bleeder screw loose so they hit it with PB blaster and the plan was to let that soak in and come back to redo that task. I wasn't around to ok a caliper swap so they didn't want to risk being rough with the car. All the other sides were done no problem. Being as the clutch system shares that same fluid, I wonder if pedal feel is linked to that?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Never enough hours in they day, but cable came and had a quick second to run auto scan late tonight. So far this is where I am at.

18339 - Cooling Fan Control Module (j293)
    P1931 - 004 - Malfunction Intermittent

18613 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
    P2181 - 008 - MIL ON

17733 - Knock Control: Cylinder 1
    P1325 - 001 - Regulation Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

17734 - Knock Control: Cylinder 2
    P1326 - 001 - Regulation Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

08 - HVAC
    00819 - High Pressure Sensor (g65)
    07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Seems the coolant issues direct to coolant temp sensor or thermostat. Knock control confirming I'm in limp mode. 02 sensor maybe... G65 sensor signal low, but is that because of a leak or bad sensor....I'll have to look further there. Any ideas or additional things to log?