Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Why do coilovers cost $550 - 1700???

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    What's the difference between all the coilovers???Screenshot_20180611-132527.jpgScreenshot_20180611-132728.jpg

Senior Member Three Rings Gunnarrrrr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Lexus CT-F, slammed '96 accord ex coupe
    Items for Sale

adjustments. ride quality.
    If you have to ask, you're probably best off with just some solowerks tbh
    I'm a car guy, I do car stuff.
    Current project: Garrett Big Booferô GT28-powered 2005 Audi Car With Wheelsģ
    Currently putting down about ~4 wheels or so

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

Some coilovers are developed and constructed by actual suspension tuning companies that test them not just on computers and shock dynos but on test vehicles.

Other companies source their parts based on specs they think should work from factories overseas.

The BorChuann factory and im sure others like it are known for making tons and tons of "32 way", "16-way", etc etc adjustable coilovers that are very low quality. They make them for dozens and dozens of fly by night "brands." You can literally contact their factory and as long as you will order 100 units you can have your own "brand" of coilover made from them. Pick a color that hasnt already been used and boom... you're a coilover company. I would pick a company that has much more experience and a better reputation for quality as well as a longer warranty.*

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Rossida1 View Post
    What's the difference between all the coilovers???
    Based on your post I'm going to guess you're just looking for a quality street suspension. Avoid the cheap brands like Solowerks, Raceland etc... They don't use quality components and are a great case of "you get what you pay for".

I recommend looking into any of these basic entry-level non adjustable [rebound + compression] setups- H&R, KW V1s, Vogtlands, STs. Vogtland and STs are cheaper as they both have galvanized shock bodies vs stainless for the others- more prone to corrosion, but they use quality dampers and springs nonetheless (KW dampers in both cases). These are all quality options with reputable components and manufacturers.
    -Hayden

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnarrrrr View Post
    If you have to ask, you're probably best off with just some solowerks tbh
    That's a piss poor answer. Some people legitimately do not know what goes into developing quality suspension, or the reasoning behind the large price discrepancy. The OP just joined AZ a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post
    Based on your post I'm going to guess you're just looking for a quality street suspension. Avoid the cheap brands like Solowerks, Raceland etc... They don't use quality components and are a great case of "you get what you pay for".

I recommend looking into any of these basic entry-level non adjustable [rebound + compression] setups- H&R, KW V1s, Vogtlands, STs. Vogtland and STs are cheaper as they both have galvanized shock bodies vs stainless for the others- more prone to corrosion, but they use quality dampers and springs nonetheless (KW dampers in both cases). These are all quality options with reputable components and manufacturers.
    While not on a B8, I've had H&R and Vogtland on my B7 and either are great. The Vogtland setup from Achtuning was perfect on my B7, I thought.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - stock
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Established Member Two Rings LopezMendez's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have the ST coils and for what's it's worth I think there just right. I've used them for 20k plus miles with no issues, I did get a few noises coming from them but grease did the job.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Iíve heard nothing negative about solowerks except from people who had purchased higher-ed coils and decided to share their opinion. On some threads Iíve heard people say theyíre softer that STís and that would be a little more practical for a daily driver or somebody on more of a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings A4 Centaur's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati Panigale 1199S (Red of course)

Saw somewhere before that a few of the brands also have more stout compression rods in the front coilovers?
    Black B8 A4 Avant S-Line Prestige Package, CPMB Engine, Tiptronic 8 speed, JHM K04-R, V1 & Beltronics, Eurocode HFC, APR FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Vogtland Coilovers, Stoptech 380mm BB Kit, H&R Swaybar, APR K04 Tune, Rev. "d" DV, R8 Coils, Folding Mirrors, S5 Rear Brakes, 034 Street Density Mounts, OEM Facelift LED Brake lights, Forgestar CF5, and more mods to come!

Veteran Member Four Rings Lambda13's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4, car parts, paint, random sockets, OEM parts.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloud199 View Post
    Iíve heard nothing negative about solowerks except from people who had purchased higher-ed coils and decided to share their opinion. On some threads Iíve heard people say theyíre softer that STís and that would be a little more practical for a daily driver or somebody on more of a budget.

I've had mine for several years and I'm dumping them. They have rusted to the point where they aren't adjustable. With that being said they do provide a pretty comfortable ride. Just wish I had gone with a better static solution in the first place. Enter the b12 cup kit.
    My 2009 A4 Prem+ Build thread

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1.8T Vanagon, KTM530, CB550

Iíve had H&R all almost all my cars. Absolutely love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings A4 Centaur's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati Panigale 1199S (Red of course)

Vogtland here. Love 'em!
    Black B8 A4 Avant S-Line Prestige Package, CPMB Engine, Tiptronic 8 speed, JHM K04-R, V1 & Beltronics, Eurocode HFC, APR FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Vogtland Coilovers, Stoptech 380mm BB Kit, H&R Swaybar, APR K04 Tune, Rev. "d" DV, R8 Coils, Folding Mirrors, S5 Rear Brakes, 034 Street Density Mounts, OEM Facelift LED Brake lights, Forgestar CF5, and more mods to come!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post

When you say non-adjustable, isn't that the point of coilovers because I want to be able to adjust the height from time to time...

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

When you say non-adjustable, isn't that the point of coilovers because I want to be able to adjust the height from time to time...
    Height is adjustable, just not rebound and compression damping. That's what you get on the pricier coilovers- Bilstein PSS10s, KW V2/V3, etc... Not really necessary for most people's needs on the street.
    -Hayden

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good coilover systems allow you keep the same shock/strut travel regardless of how low you want the car to sit, cheaper ones do not.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Gotchya! Has anyone heard of V-Max XXREME coilovers? Or is that just one of those shirt brands?

AZ Member #

Sounds like one of those shirt brands

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

bc racing may have the adjustable shock bodies but dont quote me on that, ecs tuning has a pretty wide selection

Senior Member Four Rings Marko S's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm on kw v1s. One big consideration is the material they're made from, especially if you drive in winter/salty conditions.

My v1s are quite firm and have had complaints that the car rides less comfortably, although I personally love it.

I would also recommend going with the well known brands. If you get something cheap it will cost you down the road.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    2011 Audi A4 Prem+
    HPA - ECS Tuning - aFe - Eurocode - Treadstone - GFB - Milltek - PTP - DEI - Spulen - KW - Moog - Ultra Racing - CR-15 - 034 Motorsports - Brembo - EBC - Podi - Fly Designs - Audio Frog - Dynamat - Kicker - deAuto - OEM

Established Member Three Rings choppstixxx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Honda S2000

If you shop around and have some patience you can score a lightly used set of quality coilovers for the same price as a cheaper new set. I bought my H&R Streets off a member for $600ish (about half price than new) and they are money well spent. With more reputable/higher end companies you get a better build quality and more R&D testing to make sure they are perfectly matched for each application.
    2013 Moonlight Blue Metallic B8.5 A4 Quattro Premium Flex Fuel 1 of 519
    OEM Bi-Xenon Conversion / OEM BO S4 Grill (TBD) + RS4 Style Foglight Covers / Maxton v2 Front Splitter / SpoilerKing Lip Spoiler / H&R Street Coilovers / Akebono / OEM S-Line Steering Wheel / OEM Carbon Altas Trim / ZiZa LED Interior Lighting / US Millworks
    19x9.5 Avant Garde M590 Brushed Grigio (Summer) / 18x8 Alzor Style 628 (Winter)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1997 BMW M3 w/ CES Stage IV Turbo

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback.
    Also, if you think you're going to change your ride height "from time to time" then you're probably mistaken or probably should look at bags. I've had to change my rear setup once in the past 13 years and that is because I changed my wheels/tires, and needed the clearance. You'd be surprised how you'll set it to what you like and then probably never touch them again.
    1997 BMW M3
    CES Stage IV (651/615 @ 24 psi)
    2013 Audi A4
    Prestige package, S-Line, 6-speed

Established Member Three Rings Nano909's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had $3500 coilovers on my old car. I laugh when people complain about good quality coilovers being $1000 and opt for just lowering springs, then complain again when their shocks blow. Good stuff.

AZ Member #

For those that have changed from stock, on a car with 40k+ miles, did you buy new strut/shock mounts? Adjustable control arms?

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

Quote Originally Posted by JLAllroad View Post
    For those that have changed from stock, on a car with 40k+ miles, did you buy new strut/shock mounts? Adjustable control arms?

I wouls strongly advise against adjustable control arms. You can minimize wear problems adjusting toe not camber.

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by JLAllroad View Post

I put coilovers on my B7 at more than double that mileage. Bought new upper strut mounts for the fronts, but my rears were in good shape so I reused them.

I did eventually go with adjustable upper control arms up front to reduce camber. It did help a bit but I wasn't so low where it would make all the difference. Had alignment done at least once a year b/c roads here suck.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - stock
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Senior Member Three Rings keiffr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

I've had Solowerks for a 18 months and over 30K miles. No complaints. I live in California, so no issues with corrosion from road salt etc.
    2011 A4 2.0T TFSI Quattro P+/ Phantom Black
    IE Stage 1 / A5 S-Line Y-Spoke 19x8.5 Wheels Offset: ET32 / 255/35/19 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 Tires/ Solowerks S1 Coilovers