Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Three Rings egovreau's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty275ss View Post
    I havent had any TB codes yet??!! When I had motor all torn apart I cleaned everything, like I usually do even if its just for appearances, could the sensor rt after the TB have anything to do with the actual TB itself, thats just an IAT sensor correct? I carefully cleaned it with Q tip and alcohol bcuz it was covered in oily sludge! Im kinda wondering if sludge is causing these probs...something clogged, it had massive sludge buildup in alot of areas during teardown and the oil filter (as seen in pic in earlier post) was soooo thick, like pancake batter! Ran another auto-scan on VCDS and found all cylinders 1-4 are "misfiring" apparently...P1355,P1358,P1361,P1364 annnd another one...which all state: Ignition Circuit: Open Circuit...coil packs were cleaned good and wiring looked good (without cutting deeper into the loom of course) so idk??!!
    My point was you don't really need to go down that rabbit hole unless you were seeing indications the TB was bad.... i.e. codes

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ok I gotcha! Havent messed with it in a couple days since running scan due to being busy at work but trying to rack my brain as where would a good spot to start would be, obvi has new plugs all gapped correctly, comp. test passed on all cylinders (didn't do a leak down yet tho), coil packs coullllld be iffy I guess but noooo way all 4 went bad at once, only remaining things.....fuel and air!!! Somethings clogged or leaking (PCV wise) I think! Any suggestions?? Im going to work on it tonight!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Most times when u unplug the throttle body sensor for any reason it will need to be adapted with vcds .

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The post with the photo of the oil filter in it and the solenoid valve, the solenoid valve doesn't have the vacuum line connected. Both of the solenoids run from the same vacuum (N112 for combi valve and N 249 for Diverter valve control) with this disconnected you will have a vaccuum leak which will mess up the fuelling and cause missfires.
    I don't believe that's the whole issue though. Disconnect the throttle body inlet pipe and get someone to move the throttle pedal with the ignition on and watch for movement on the throttle valve. If you have had water ingress it can get into the throttle pedal electronics, worth a look certainly. Also check the turbo inlet pipe these can split causing massive vacuum leak and will upset fuelling. Hope one of these helps you out, I'll try and help you all I can.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by caluma4x4 View Post
    The post with the photo of the oil filter in it and the solenoid valve, the solenoid valve doesn't have the vacuum line connected. Both of the solenoids run from the same vacuum (N112 for combi valve and N 249 for Diverter valve control) with this disconnected you will have a vaccuum leak which will mess up the fuelling and cause missfires.
    I don't believe that's the whole issue though. Disconnect the throttle body inlet pipe and get someone to move the throttle pedal with the ignition on and watch for movement on the throttle valve. If you have had water ingress it can get into the throttle pedal electronics, worth a look certainly. Also check the turbo inlet pipe these can split causing massive vacuum leak and will upset fuelling. Hope one of these helps you out, I'll try and help you all I can.
    Thats totally a huge help as the car is still sitting in the same spot and ive moved on to other projects at the moment haha but still want to get it fixed and know its gotta be something simple like a sensor/valve/leak somewhere! When I took that pic I had intake/everything disconnected from the motor BUT like I said, when removing the vaccuum hoses I broke off the barb to N249 I think it was, but super glued it back on trying not to pile shitton on and block flow, that wouldn't cause any trouble would it?? Before head swap I was actually going to replace the combi valve cuz I thought it was bad and bypassed it using block off plate and it seemed to run better but hard to tell since the head gasket fully blew couple days later! But ill deff try that throttle body trick, wasn't sure if that would work or not by just hitting the gas pedal and seeing it move, I have VCDS lite/cable...but dunno how to fully use it yet to re-adapt it other whether I need to buy full version or something!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12