Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Need some help- Auto Tranny shifter cable disconect

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Little background- 2000 Audi A6 quattro with a 2.8 and auto transmission.
    Got the car for 300 bucks! Dude wanted it gone! so I got it gone for him! Its in great shape except for the dreaded tranny leak! Its super bad!

Which leads to the current-
    Removing the engine and trans together and now I don't know how to disconnect the transmission shifter cable! It looks burried behind the left exhaust

Whats the best tactic to remove the cable to get this lump out?

Established Member Three Rings JorisRS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

Get a breaker bar or a big flat screwdriver too pry it loose. Get it from the back and stick your arm between the trans and the exhaust pipe. Its a pita. I also had a hard time on my rs6. Its probably very similar

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JorisRS6 View Post
    Get a breaker bar or a big flat screwdriver too pry it loose. Get it from the back and stick your arm between the trans and the exhaust pipe. Its a pita. I also had a hard time on my rs6. Its probably very similar
    I can't even see the damn thing. I see the cable and the hard mount, just not where it actually shifts at. Whats the best angle to even see it?

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Its behind the multi function switch on the transmission. So you have axle flange then right behind it a silver box with a wiring harness coming out of it and a splined shaft in the middle.the rubber boot behind that box is the shifter cable going to a level on that splined shaft. You can pull off the box/mult function switch and see it better.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mengquis View Post
    I can't even see the damn thing. I see the cable and the hard mount, just not where it actually shifts at. Whats the best angle to even see it?
    I can take a pic tonight. You can see it from the back. And from the side if you remove the fender liner on the driver side. If you think taking it off is hard, good luck putting it back on

AZ Member #

here is a write up on changing the switch you can see it with the switch on and off to get an idea:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng105.shtml
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

AZ Member #

WOW! There is the missing piece! No wonder I couldn't see it but could hear it! OK- need to add that to the list of things to remove and take care of tonight!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

You shouldnt have to remove the switch

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

My switch is still bolted to my tranny, which is out of the car. The cable just pops off with a pry bar, as others have stated. I didn't disconnect it until the tranny was out. I dropped the shifter out of the console.

AZ Member #

I saw someone else that said pull the lower box and disconnect that end of the cable instead....
    Anyone try that method?

AZ Member #

some people just drop the whole box, but that doesn't make a lot of sense if the interior is together, but yes you can do it from the other end.

As noted you don't need to remove the switch to disconnect the cable, I was just showing you the switch changing write up so you could understand where it is. You should be able to pop it of now that you can identify how it works.

AZ Member #

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! I will tear into it tonight and get it! Chris that was a huge help and much appreciated! THANK YOU GUYS so much!

Now to get this lump out and fix that damn tranny leak!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

Did you get it? I took pictures but cannot post them because i exceeded my limit

AZ Member #

I got it! I couldn't get a good pry point so I took off the left mount and there she be! I popped it right off!

I got the engine and tranny out of the car now and ready to split them to see what is going on with the tranny seal!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Senior Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

*applause*