Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Driver assistance features - Sudden unintended reactions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi everyone,

So, having driven my new S5 Sportback for a while, and gotten to know some of the tech, I feel like there are a couple of ... uhm.... questions.

Speed limit recognition - sudden slowing
    I like that the car can (mostly) recognize the posted speed limit and set cruise control accordingly. I do feel, however, that it's getting it wring a tad too often. in the past 3 days it's happened 3 times: I'll be cruising along on the freeway with the cruise set at 65. Suddenly, the car will change the cruise control to 55 Mph and slow the car quickly. Each time it happens, it's quite unsettling as it happens for no apparent reason. The only thought I have, is that I wonder if the car mis-reads the signs with the trailer towing speed limits (55 Mph here in CA)? Have anyone else seen this?

To me, this is a "false positive" in the (presumably) image recognition algorithms used to recognize speed limit signs.

Lane keep assist - sudden swerving
    This, too, is a tad unsettling: It seems that the lane keep assist system gets confused sometimes, for example when a lane merges into the lane I'm in. When this happens, the car will suddenly turn the wheel a couple of degrees to the left and try to steer into the next lane. Have anyone else experienced this? The reality is, that I don't always drive with my hands "at 9 and 3" on the steering wheel. I think this is true for MANY drivers out there.

-This one bothers me the most as it seems to have the highest potential for danger. I am hardly using lane keep assist since this happened the first few times.
    Stock 2018 S5 Sportback Prestige
    Black
    Driver assistance package
    S Sport package

Stock 2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon

Established Member Three Rings snocat17's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S5 Prestige Cab, 2008 GMC Hennessey HPE 450 Sierra

Does it read the signs or use GPS to determine the speed limit?
    -Joe
    2016 S5 Cabriolet Prestige Glacier White Metallic w/ brown comfort seats and piano wire black wood trim. RED Brake calipers, VCDS cable

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I am under the impression that it reads signs

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Stock 2018 S5 Sportback Prestige
    Black
    Driver assistance package
    S Sport package

Stock 2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon