Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Driver assistance features - Sudden unintended reactions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi everyone,

So, having driven my new S5 Sportback for a while, and gotten to know some of the tech, I feel like there are a couple of ... uhm.... questions.

Speed limit recognition - sudden slowing
    I like that the car can (mostly) recognize the posted speed limit and set cruise control accordingly. I do feel, however, that it's getting it wring a tad too often. in the past 3 days it's happened 3 times: I'll be cruising along on the freeway with the cruise set at 65. Suddenly, the car will change the cruise control to 55 Mph and slow the car quickly. Each time it happens, it's quite unsettling as it happens for no apparent reason. The only thought I have, is that I wonder if the car mis-reads the signs with the trailer towing speed limits (55 Mph here in CA)? Have anyone else seen this?

To me, this is a "false positive" in the (presumably) image recognition algorithms used to recognize speed limit signs.

Lane keep assist - sudden swerving
    This, too, is a tad unsettling: It seems that the lane keep assist system gets confused sometimes, for example when a lane merges into the lane I'm in. When this happens, the car will suddenly turn the wheel a couple of degrees to the left and try to steer into the next lane. Have anyone else experienced this? The reality is, that I don't always drive with my hands "at 9 and 3" on the steering wheel. I think this is true for MANY drivers out there.

-This one bothers me the most as it seems to have the highest potential for danger. I am hardly using lane keep assist since this happened the first few times.
    Stock 2018 S5 Sportback Prestige
    Black
    Driver assistance package
    S Sport package

Stock 2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon

Established Member Three Rings snocat17's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S5 Prestige Cab, 2008 GMC Hennessey HPE 450 Sierra

Does it read the signs or use GPS to determine the speed limit?
    -Joe
    2016 S5 Cabriolet Prestige Glacier White Metallic w/ brown comfort seats and piano wire black wood trim. RED Brake calipers holding EBC RedStuff pads, VCDS cable

AZ Member #

I am under the impression that it reads signs

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Black
    S Sport package

AZ Member #

Quick update:

The car still seems to get confused about the speed limits, which can be a bit of a problem it happens on the freeway. Tonight, coming home from a nice weekend road trip, the car suddenly "decided" that the speed limit at the SNA airport was 50 Mph, not the posted 65.

....going to have to speak with Audi about this I think.
    Black
    S Sport package

Senior Member Two Rings zoomzoom!'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Q5 3.0T (Wife), 2000 GMC Sierra

I had the sudden swerving just as you describe....mostly when a small lane turns into 2 lanes, or vice versa. I also hate the sudden deceleration when changing speed limits. I've pretty much turned off the driver assistance features via the turn signal stalk.
    SOLD: 2013 A6 3.0T

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AlisoA4 View Post
    Quick update:

The car still seems to get confused about the speed limits, which can be a bit of a problem it happens on the freeway. Tonight, coming home from a nice weekend road trip, the car suddenly "decided" that the speed limit at the SNA airport was 50 Mph, not the posted 65.

....going to have to speak with Audi about this I think.
    There is a setting in the MMI for the ACC to turn off the speed limit recognition. This will still display the posted speed limit in the HUD but will not allow the car to go from your set 65 mph down to whatever the posted speed limit reads. Turned that crap off the first time I had it set at 45 mph and a 20 mph school zone triggered it to slam on the brakes pissing everyone off behind me rightfully so. This was not during school hours or anything obviously.

The Driver Assist just like every other piece of technology is not perfect and will take sometime to get there. The lanes merging or splitting is a common problem. This is the scenario that caused a Tesla to plow into the center of a lane split median. I think you understand this but these are aids to help us but not to be totally relied upon.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by -LoneStar- View Post
    I think you understand this but these are aids to help us but not to be totally relied upon.
    Sure but driver aids are supposed to be helpful, not the opposite :-)
    Black
    S Sport package

Active Member One Ring Sebastian3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

For lane keep assist, there are two settings available in the MMI: Early and Late. Whatever setting you have it on now, try the other setting and see if your experience changes. Personally, I use it with the Early setting and don't have any problems

And as LoneStar mentioned, you can turn off the setting that adjusts the ACC based on observed speed limit. I do find that it sometimes inexplicably drops the speed limit from 65 to 55 on the freeway, which is annoying, and it's also annoying when it drops the speed limit in a school zone outside of school hours (such as at night or on the weekend).
    2018 A5 Coupe Prestige

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU

In the MMI, there is a setting for setting the ACC speed "with tolerance" but I don't see anywhere to set the tolerance. I assumed it would be like the speed warning setting where you can set +10MPH over the limit although it would be pretty nice if it was +% instead of just +flat MPH as I think setting the acc tolerance to be +15% would handle the flow of traffic in my area.
    2018 Audi S5 SB - Gotland/Rotor
    Previous Cars █
    2010 Audi A4 2.0TQ 6MT
    2008 Audi TT 2.0T S-Line DSG
    2005 VW Jetta GLI 1.8T 6MT

AZ Member #

I know I saw the setting for setting the tolerance somewhere.... Iíll have to poke around a bit to remember where

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Black
    S Sport package

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Right now when I set it to "with tolerance" it just matches the speed. The only place I see to have a tolerance up to +10 MPH is the speed warning area.
    2018 Audi S5 SB - Gotland/Rotor
    Previous Cars █
    2010 Audi A4 2.0TQ 6MT
    2008 Audi TT 2.0T S-Line DSG
    2005 VW Jetta GLI 1.8T 6MT

Active Member One Ring Sebastian3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You guys, respectfully, please read your owners manuals. This is ALL in there.

2018 A5 Coupe Prestige
    2018 A5 Coupe Prestige

Veteran Member Four Rings Seinsmeld13's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 Porsche Boxster S & 2018 TTS

I have had my 2018 RS5 for several months now and have a small list of complaints. #1 on that list is the cruise control. I recently took a holiday to Prince Edward Island from my home province of Ontario. I put on a little over 4,000 km in a week. I always use cruise control. The cruise would suddenly brake the car down to a lower speed which I felt was dangerous. Luckily I didn't have anybody tailing my car. I had it set for 120 km/h in a 100 km/h zone. The car would reduce my speed to 100 km/h in an area that once was under construction or was under construction. This occurred on a weekend when construction was not occurring. I will have this addressed when I take my car in for service within the next 60 days. Please comment if you can.
    2018 RS5 2018 TTS
    Weekend and summer drive 2009 Porsche Boxster S

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Seinsmeld13 View Post
    I have had my 2018 RS5 for several months now and have a small list of complaints. #1 on that list is the cruise control. I recently took a holiday to Prince Edward Island from my home province of Ontario. I put on a little over 4,000 km in a week. I always use cruise control. The cruise would suddenly brake the car down to a lower speed which I felt was dangerous. Luckily I didn't have anybody tailing my car. I had it set for 120 km/h in a 100 km/h zone. The car would reduce my speed to 100 km/h in an area that once was under construction or was under construction. This occurred on a weekend when construction was not occurring. I will have this addressed when I take my car in for service within the next 60 days. Please comment if you can.
    I have disabled the feature where the cruise control is controlled by the cars awareness of the speed limit. Itís just not accurate enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Black
    S Sport package