Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Center Channel

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2008
    AZ Member #
    36828
    Location
    NY
    Items for Sale

    Center Channel

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Curious how others account for the center channel when replacing speakers and adding aftermarket amplifier. Thinking of replacing front door speakers in a B6 A4 and adding an amp to power them but from what I understand the center channel is tied into these so wondering how the sound stage will be impacted.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings mad70sx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 12 2009
    AZ Member #
    39786
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4
    Location
    Lil Rhody

    Ditto. In the same boat as you. Installed a Pioneer head unit and it is way too much for the stock front speakers to handle. I had to set the bias to 90% R/10% F in order to not blow out the front speakers.
    JHM Tune ~ JHM Version 2 Headers ~ FI/JHM 2.5" Exhaust ~ Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers ~ BBS CH

  3. #3
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Christian@enfig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 12 2004
    AZ Member #
    2759
    My Garage
    2013 CC Executive Edition VR6 3.6, 2003 GLI VR6, 2005 A4 cab 3.0 V6, 01 GTI VR6. Past 89 & 78 Golf
    Location
    Fort Lee, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by mad70sx View Post
    Ditto. In the same boat as you. Installed a Pioneer head unit and it is way too much for the stock front speakers to handle. I had to set the bias to 90% R/10% F in order to not blow out the front speakers.
    1st problem
    Since it sounds like you don't have Bose then the cutting you are experiencing is because you did not disconnect the center channel speaker. Since the center channel speaker is powered across both front speakers it makes the Pioneer front speakers cut out when put too loud (clipping).

    2nd problem

    The reason your rears are low is because the factory radio put our a higher voltage than the aftermarket one. That is why we added a HILO to our harness.
    It's all explained here.

    http://enfigcarstereo.com/radio-inst...odel=A4/S4/RS4

    https://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_SRWH_AUD2_HILO.html

    The Hilo box fixes all the low audio issues that your A4/S4 has. The factory radio output is about 6 Volts. Most aftermarket radios have a 2V output so the factory amp receives a much lower signal than the factory radio was sending. If your radio has 4V outputs we still recommend getting the HILO to get better sound out of your new radio. The smaller box is the CAN box. It handles all the steering wheel controls (with a SWCL) without any of the programming issues that some of the competition has, especially with the rolling steering wheel controls. The small box also reads the cars CAN-BUS signal and provides switched 12v (turns the radio on and off), llumination (dims the radio when you turn on your lights). Reverse, parking brake and VSS are not compatible with your car since the car does provide them through CAN-BUS.

    EnfigCarStereo.com - iPod iPhone & Aux Specialists - Radio Replacement Specialists
    info@enfig.com
    201-490-5015
    FaceBook

  4. #4
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Christian@enfig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 12 2004
    AZ Member #
    2759
    My Garage
    2013 CC Executive Edition VR6 3.6, 2003 GLI VR6, 2005 A4 cab 3.0 V6, 01 GTI VR6. Past 89 & 78 Golf
    Location
    Fort Lee, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by my1stturbo View Post
    Curious how others account for the center channel when replacing speakers and adding aftermarket amplifier. Thinking of replacing front door speakers in a B6 A4 and adding an amp to power them but from what I understand the center channel is tied into these so wondering how the sound stage will be impacted.
    Unless you are super OCD I would just disconnect it. I have never heard a difference.
    EnfigCarStereo.com - iPod iPhone & Aux Specialists - Radio Replacement Specialists
    info@enfig.com
    201-490-5015
    FaceBook

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Four Rings mad70sx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 12 2009
    AZ Member #
    39786
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4
    Location
    Lil Rhody

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian@enfig View Post
    1st problem
    Since it sounds like you don't have Bose then the cutting you are experiencing is because you did not disconnect the center channel speaker. Since the center channel speaker is powered across both front speakers it makes the Pioneer front speakers cut out when put too loud (clipping).

    2nd problem

    The reason your rears are low is because the factory radio put our a higher voltage than the aftermarket one. That is why we added a HILO to our harness.
    It's all explained here.

    http://enfigcarstereo.com/radio-inst...odel=A4/S4/RS4

    https://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_SRWH_AUD2_HILO.html

    The Hilo box fixes all the low audio issues that your A4/S4 has. The factory radio output is about 6 Volts. Most aftermarket radios have a 2V output so the factory amp receives a much lower signal than the factory radio was sending. If your radio has 4V outputs we still recommend getting the HILO to get better sound out of your new radio. The smaller box is the CAN box. It handles all the steering wheel controls (with a SWCL) without any of the programming issues that some of the competition has, especially with the rolling steering wheel controls. The small box also reads the cars CAN-BUS signal and provides switched 12v (turns the radio on and off), llumination (dims the radio when you turn on your lights). Reverse, parking brake and VSS are not compatible with your car since the car does provide them through CAN-BUS.


    Correct, I do not have the Bose option in my car. I actually used your ENFIG_SRWH_AUD2_HILO harness as well as your install kit. (great products, btw. made the installation easy) I set the HILO as described in your instructions and I have no issues with the rear speakers.

    I guess is it's not as simple as installing a new set of front speakers that can handle a more powerful head unit since the center speaker is in the way, wiring wise.

    My question would be is how do you go about disconnecting the center speaker?
    JHM Tune ~ JHM Version 2 Headers ~ FI/JHM 2.5" Exhaust ~ Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers ~ BBS CH

  6. #6
    This might not be what you want to hear, but when I went full active, I ran new wires. The factory wiring is all there still, and when I would turn on the system (Pioneer 80PRS) the center would come on. So I just turned off the internal amp and the center channel is off now! Much better now. But if youíre using a factory radio Iím not sure how to turn off the center other than pulling it out of the dash and disconnecting it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Christian@enfig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 12 2004
    AZ Member #
    2759
    My Garage
    2013 CC Executive Edition VR6 3.6, 2003 GLI VR6, 2005 A4 cab 3.0 V6, 01 GTI VR6. Past 89 & 78 Golf
    Location
    Fort Lee, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by mad70sx View Post
    Correct, I do not have the Bose option in my car. I actually used your ENFIG_SRWH_AUD2_HILO harness as well as your install kit. (great products, btw. made the installation easy) I set the HILO as described in your instructions and I have no issues with the rear speakers.

    I guess is it's not as simple as installing a new set of front speakers that can handle a more powerful head unit since the center speaker is in the way, wiring wise.

    My question would be is how do you go about disconnecting the center speaker?
    Thanks man. The instructions are actually incomplete. They new ones will read that if you do not have Bose to match the rear speakers that go through the HILO to the level of the fronts. (all except convertibles)

    To cut the center channel speaker you have to either fully disconnect it at the dash. Of if your look at the factory front speaker wires behind the radio. If there are 2 wires in one pin the thinner one is the center channel. You just have to cut it and tape it off. Just one of the 2 thin wires. IF they are the same size then you have a 50/50 guess.
    EnfigCarStereo.com - iPod iPhone & Aux Specialists - Radio Replacement Specialists
    info@enfig.com
    201-490-5015
    FaceBook



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.