Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moar Powa

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I mean from a physics stand point I never believed that this engine was truly limited - I knew there was something the tuners were keeping quiet about

AZ Member #

Sin - now that GIAC is releasing the dual pulley files for c6 a6 (or maybe I just spilled the beans on something special they gave me behind the scenes lol)

You should consider giving that a shot as well if you dgaf about the tranny

Veteran Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yikes, that's really pricey for the rebuild. Granted it's a manual transmission, but I had my 01e in the S4 fully built with cryo treated gears, Porsche syncros, high bias diff, etc. and that was $2500.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

2009 C6.5 A6 3.0T Prestige - stock, daily driver

AZ Member #

If people knew you could get a c6 with the same fucking engine as a brand new Audi and develop the same power people might actually not even buy new Audis.

That's my speculation

AZ Member #

In terms of "luxury" yeah you can keep putting a bigger screen in a car until the damn thing doesn't even have a windshield anymore but the basic luxury of comfort and leather that's been the same for decades..... and some could argue has gotten worse with all the touch screens

This car has good old knobs and buttons that are solid

- - - Updated - - -

I think the silence has finally been broken on the c6.5 a6 3.0t platform....

- - - Updated - - -

I will definitely be going with GIAC without a doubt on my upgrade

Veteran Member Four Rings Ynnekdude's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SinCityA6 View Post
    Man, you still around?!?!? You havenít posted in ages! Hope all is well with you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Yep still lurking around from time to time. Thanks man! Hope things are great with you as well! Really looking forward to seeing if we get a dual pulley option. I'll admit the mod bug has been nagging at me lately.
    2011 Q5 3.2 Prestige. Meteor Gray.
    2009 A6 3.0T Sedan w/19" Sport Pkg. Phantom Black.
    APR 93 Stage II+. STaSIS Exhaust. SST Intake. Stoptech ST-60. KW V1s. H&R Sways
    V1 Hardwired. LI-Dual. 18" VMR 708s w/Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s (Winter)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ynnekdude View Post
    Yep still lurking around from time to time. Thanks man! Hope things are great with you as well! Really looking forward to seeing if we get a dual pulley option. I'll admit the mod bug has been nagging at me lately.
    Check my posts!! I found a little something

AZ Member #

I think there are certain quality issues (mostly minor, also mostly annoyances) with these cars, but besides that I feel the build quality on these is overall more solid than newer models. These feel more substantial, solid and better quality than C7s and much higher quality interior wise than B8s.

All car platforms no matter the brand or model has a weak point somewhere.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    I think there are certain quality issues (mostly minor, also mostly annoyances) with these cars, but besides that I feel the build quality on these is overall more solid than newer models. These feel more substantial, solid and better quality than C7s and much higher quality interior wise than B8s.

All car platforms no matter the brand or model has a weak point somewhere.
    I haven't noticed anything with my c6 so far - thank god. But I would agree I have driven many cars and this build quality is fucking solid!

Feels like a damn rolls royce

AZ Member #

I think the c6 a6 was the last and the pinnacle of "classical" luxury. That is a car with good solid build quality and without 500 computers and screens everywhere

AZ Member #

One example for my car is the stupid sunroof panel springs and hooks broke then fell towards the back of the headliner which now rattles (highly annoying). Otherwise it's very solid.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

One example for my car is the stupid sunroof panel springs and hooks broke then fell towards the back of the headliner which now rattles (highly annoying). Otherwise it's very solid.
    But that is a $60.00 fix from ECS and a bit of elbow grease. I am getting ready to do mine in the next week or so.
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

Yup, I will be doing that job too. Not overly thrilled but it doesn't look like it's too hard.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-more-2909186/

AZ Member #

How can you avoid that breaking? What causes it to break? My sun roof is working fine for now thank god

My PCV that's another story

Established Member Two Rings B. Rock's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    91 CQ

As far as trans options, wasn't there a thread awhile back where the C6 S6 trans looked like a viable option? Same gear ratios (different final drive?) but rated for significantly more hp/tq.

Edit: the 6HP26A, rated for 443 lb/ft instead of 295 lb/ft. 3.80 final drive.
    90 CQ - stroked and wide
    13 SHO
    09 A6 Avant 3.0t
    96 FZJ80

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NickLim View Post
    How can you avoid that breaking? What causes it to break? My sun roof is working fine for now thank god

No rhyme or reason, they get brittle and break over time. Lucky me, right after I bought it I used the sunroof twice before mine broke.

AZ Member #

Not really sure there is anything you can do, mine were fine and then it wasn't. I was just driving along, opened the sunroof and a spring fell into my lap, Couple of days later, one fell into my wife's lap. Every now and then, the 2 remaining ones will start a sympathetic vibration and get to bugging me.
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

As for the transmission rebuild, I have the one I replaced last year just sitting on the patio waiting for something to happen to it.... $5600 for an indestructible unit is sounding like a good idea :) Just have to convince the wife it is :)
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    As far as trans options, wasn't there a thread awhile back where the C6 S6 trans looked like a viable option? Same gear ratios (different final drive?) but rated for significantly more hp/tq.

Edit: the 6HP26A, rated for 443 lb/ft instead of 295 lb/ft. 3.80 final drive.
    That would be awesome! If someone can pull this off then there's no limits

AZ Member #

No rhyme or reason, they get brittle and break over time. Lucky me, right after I bought it I used the sunroof twice before mine broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by sswari View Post
    Not really sure there is anything you can do, mine were fine and then it wasn't. I was just driving along, opened the sunroof and a spring fell into my lap, Couple of days later, one fell into my wife's lap. Every now and then, the 2 remaining ones will start a sympathetic vibration and get to bugging me.
    Jeeze! Okay well I willl be on the lookout for that.

I am only going to open my sunroof when it actually makes the experience of the car better now lol I hate dealing with microheadaches

AZ Member #

As for the transmission rebuild, I have the one I replaced last year just sitting on the patio waiting for something to happen to it.... $5600 for an indestructible unit is sounding like a good idea :) Just have to convince the wife it is :)
    Your tranny went out? How much HP are you putting down?

There has to be a cheaper solution IMO because for $5,600 you can get an entire drive train of an s4 with the transmission...

I wonder if that is possible and how hard that would be to drop in if you had the engine and the tranny combined

- - - Updated - - -

Would be cool because than you could have a manual transmission or DSG! I would prefer the manual quite frankly just for complexity reasons

AZ Member #

Jeeze! Okay well I willl be on the lookout for that.

I am only going to open my sunroof when it actually makes the experience of the car better now lol I hate dealing with microheadaches
    Well, I just finished the rear passenger side window regulator clip, for the second time since I bought the car a year ago, not sure if anybody else is having this issue, but it is going to get old quick.
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

Your tranny went out? How much HP are you putting down?

There has to be a cheaper solution IMO because for $5,600 you can get an entire drive train of an s4 with the transmission...

I wonder if that is possible and how hard that would be to drop in if you had the engine and the tranny combined

- - - Updated - - -

NOTE: this is a Tiptronic Trans, not Manual

Would be cool because than you could have a manual transmission or DSG! I would prefer the manual quite frankly just for complexity reasons
    So, I have a stock 06 A6 with a 4.2. I bought it just over a year ago, at 99,999 Miles, with a known issue with the trans for $5500. I figured, even if I had to buy a $2500 trans, it would still be a good deal, as the rest of the car was in good shape and the motor was super strong, (Well the paint could use a bit of loven). It would go to safe mode just about every time you stepped on the gas. I did a fluid and filter change with LG 8 and it ran for about another 1000 miles and just kept getting worse. I was hoping it was just the solenoids, but turns out it was more that that. I ended up finding a trans back east, with 99k miles and a 6 month warranty for $1300 + shipping total about $1700 which was still $500 less then anything else I could find. I did the swap in the front yard on the ground. It took about 2 weeks, as I kept thinking, "Damnit, there has to be an easier way" Turns out, it really truly was not that bad. Execpt for the triple square bolt I stripped that holds the flywheel to the TC.

Enough rambling, this does seem to be fairly rare, but known problem with the 6HP19 WHE transmissions. I have put about 10,000 miles on this one (a few hundred of which I would consider kind of sporty :) ) This one seems to be going fairly well.

so, it does not seem to be that it is getting beat up by HP, just that the first one, probably should have had a Fluid change at about 75K or 80K miles. I will be doing it about every 50K
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

So, I have a stock 06 A6 with a 4.2. I bought it just over a year ago, at 99,999 Miles, with a known issue with the trans for $5500. I figured, even if I had to buy a $2500 trans, it would still be a good deal, as the rest of the car was in good shape and the motor was super strong, (Well the paint could use a bit of loven). It would go to safe mode just about every time you stepped on the gas. I did a fluid and filter change with LG 8 and it ran for about another 1000 miles and just kept getting worse. I was hoping it was just the solenoids, but turns out it was more that that. I ended up finding a trans back east, with 99k miles and a 6 month warranty for $1300 + shipping total about $1700 which was still $500 less then anything else I could find. I did the swap in the front yard on the ground. It took about 2 weeks, as I kept thinking, "Damnit, there has to be an easier way" Turns out, it really truly was not that bad. Execpt for the triple square bolt I stripped that holds the flywheel to the TC.

Enough rambling, this does seem to be fairly rare, but known problem with the 6HP19 WHE transmissions. I have put about 10,000 miles on this one (a few hundred of which I would consider kind of sporty :) ) This one seems to be going fairly well.

so, it does not seem to be that it is getting beat up by HP, just that the first one, probably should have had a Fluid change at about 75K or 80K miles. I will be doing it about every 50K
    And that's the same transmission that I have?

That's scary as hell...

I am going to get the fluid changed once I do my big tune up with the PCV and thermostat replacement....

I have heard there are a6 3.0t with manual in Europe. Could you import that tranny and plug and play?

AZ Member #

And that's the same transmission that I have?

That's scary as hell...

I am going to get the fluid changed once I do my big tune up with the PCV and thermostat replacement....
    Save a ton of money and do it your self. It really is not that hard, and with the money you save, you can afford to buy a decent set of ramps and jack stands.

I have heard there are a6 3.0t with manual in Europe. Could you import that tranny and plug and play?
    Seriously doubt you could easily make that work, everything I saw while researching my swap, is you have to get the same transmission. I would keep an eye out on carpart.com
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

The right link is http://www.car-part.com . Looks like they have a lot of listings for transmissions for our cars, but would have to get comfortable with trusting the "grade" assigned to each part indicating the condition.

AZ Member #

The right link is http://www.car-part.com . Looks like they have a lot of listings for transmissions for our cars, but would have to get comfortable with trusting the "grade" assigned to each part indicating the condition.
    Thanks, that was from memory, maybe I shouldn't be working on my own car HA.

From what I was told by the local yards, this is the primary database that is used by scrap yards to advertise parts. It would be pretty much the same trust you have in any of them. I may have just got Lucky.
    It's My Realtor Car

AZ Member #

Well fortunately it looks like lower mile "A" grade transmissions are pretty widely available for a grand or so which is good.

AZ Member #

Well fortunately it looks like lower mile "A" grade transmissions are pretty widely available for a grand or so which is good.
    Good to know it's not the bad in the worst case!

AZ Member #

I think the meth injection will provide significant improvements due to the cooling of the intake charge.

I am also curious as to the impact of an additional radiator that cools the liquid going through the intercoolers.

I think these two things will have a great impact on performance

- - - Updated - - -

I also think it is possible that the big tuners have left some room on the table for whatever reason I am not sure.... I am also curious the results of a custom tune....

AZ Member #

Sin - I am very eager to see your results on a custom tune from a good tuner.

I think there is a lot of potential here with this platform.

I also foresee the possibility of you being able to sell this tune if you can replicate it.

I am not seeing the kind of attention from the big tuners that the market deserves and this leaves an opening for a new business

- - - Updated - - -

I am also interested if you can give us data on IAT and charge cooler fluid temperatures - I would like to know where we are at stock in terms of thermal management and where we can go from there

AZ Member #

I am hard pressed to believe that heat would limit a single run.

I think there is something to be done here for the tuning...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12