Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring normcaldwell's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Some Love for my Misano Red S3

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Recently picked up a 2016 Misano Red Pearl Effect S3. Had enough budget for a used one. It's my daily and occasional track lapping day car.
    Previous cars were a 2016 GTI and 2006 M3 Coupe.
    The car is in very good mechanical condition. Changed all of the fluids, plugs, coils. Re-used the APR intercooler from the GTI. Paint touch-up, correction, and ceramic coat.
    Also had the United Motorsport files loaded for ECM, DSG, and Haldex. Love how everything works together. Can feel more power to the rear during acceleration and cornering.
    I also installed ECS Tuning exact fit stainless steel brake lines on front and rear. OBDEleven is handy for retracting the electronic rear caliper piston driver.
    The pearl effect paint shimmers nicely, especially after the body detail. I think the S3 looks really good in any color.
    I'm also able to re-use the aftermarket wheels I had with the MK7 GTI. 57.1mm centerbore, ball seat lugbolts, spacers.

I like a number of things about this car.
    - Power delivery through the EA888 v3 engine and Haldex v5 drive-line. Puts the power into forward motion without wheel spin.
    - Simple, clean lines and overall appearance, inside and out. Doesn't have the Quattro word bandied about like Audi does on the higher models.
    - Nice looking gauges. The last of the analog gauge cars. The virtual cockpit is cool on the newer models; but I'm just fine with the analog gauges.
    - The S Sport seats. For a stock seat; they seem to have pretty decent shoulder support during cornering. Since they are manual, I can really fine tune the seat back position.
    - Handles pretty good; suspension is taut. I'm fine with a firmer ride.
    - B&O sound system is very nice for a stock setup.
    - For a 4-banger, this car has a pretty decent exhaust note. Nothing can touch naturally aspirated V-8, V-10, V-12 sweetness, but for the overall compromise, this one's pretty decent I think.
    - Enjoying the sunroof, and having a spare tire setup already in place from the factory.

Some pics below.

Summer - stock V-split 10-spoke 19x8 ET49, with 12.5mm spacers up front, and 17.5mm on the rears. ContiSportContact 5P tires 235/35/19.

Winter - VMR V810 Bronze Burst 18x8.5 ET45, with 3mm spacers up front, and 5mm on the rears. Nokian WRG3 tires 235/40/18.

Track - Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 ET45, with 3mm spacers up front, and 5mm spacers on the rears. Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires 255/35/18.

Interior S Sport Seats - I do like these. I'm o.k with the manual adjustment. Glad they're heated for winter.
    2016 Audi S3, Misano Red Pearl Effect, Prestige, Black Optic, S Sport Seats.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I love the rim choice and those are the best seats!

I do wish I had those seats but I am also overall happy with my S3.

Veteran Member Four Rings B7Joe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW F30; BMW E46 xi Touring

Iíll admit I donít normally love red but well done. Very nice!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Coolrunning View Post
    I love the rim choice and those are the best seats!

I do wish I had those seats but I am also overall happy with my S3.

I like that the Neuspeed and VMR wheels come with the 57.1mm centerbore, and are designed for the factory ball seat bolts.
    Even though I use longer bolts for the spacers, I don't have to keep further track of cone vs ball seat parts.
    Your S3 looks great; maybe we'll cross paths in the area sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by B7Joe View Post
    Iíll admit I donít normally love red but well done. Very nice!
    This is the first red car I've owned.
    When I was shopping the used car market, at that time anyway, this was the only car that had everything I wanted.
    The question for me was; is red o.k.?
    If it had been available in other colors as well, I probably would have gone with that other color (though black was off the table for me).
    Misano Red Pearl Effect pops when clean. I also think it's more forgiving to dirt than I had expected.

Veteran Member Four Rings B7Joe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW F30; BMW E46 xi Touring

Quote Originally Posted by normcaldwell View Post
    I like that the Neuspeed and VMR wheels come with the 57.1mm centerbore, and are designed for the factory ball seat bolts.
    Even though I use longer bolts for the spacers, I don't have to keep further track of cone vs ball seat parts.
    Your S3 looks great; maybe we'll cross paths in the area sometime!

This is the first red car I've owned.
    When I was shopping the used car market, at that time anyway, this was the only car that had everything I wanted.
    The question for me was; is red o.k.?
    If it had been available in other colors as well, I probably would have gone with that other color (though black was off the table for me).
    Misano Red Pearl Effect pops when clean. I also think it's more forgiving to dirt than I had expected.
    For sure. Itís a nice deep red that contrasts well with the interior. I almost prefer the winter wheel setup personally. ;) Iíve always liked a smaller wheel with a meaty tire setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

As good as the car feels with the stockers, it does feel better on the 18s.
    I also like the meaty tire setup for appearance.

Senior Member Three Rings MSMITTY's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wife's '18 Merlin Purple B9 S4

Quote Originally Posted by normcaldwell View Post
    As good as the car feels with the stockers, it does feel better on the 18s.
    I also like the meaty tire setup for appearance.
    Congratulations, car looks amazing.

When I was looking, I wanted the red, with Sepang blue as my second choice, & with ya, black was non negotiable for me too.

Good luck & I really like the look of the 18ís (I have the same stock clovers).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '16 Sepang Blue S3

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MSMITTY View Post
    Congratulations, car looks amazing.

When I was looking, I wanted the red, with Sepang blue as my second choice, & with ya, black was non negotiable for me too.

Good luck & I really like the look of the 18ís (I have the same stock clovers).
    Thanks Smitty. Sepang Blue looks great as well!

Established Member Two Rings F80Dreamer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow that looks great.
    2018 S4 ó current ride
    2017 M3 ó sold
    2012 M3 ó sold
    2015 GTI ó sold
    2015 Mustang ó sold
    2011 335is ó sold