Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap
    Items for Sale

Calibrating clock spring

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I replaced my clock spring in hopes that was has been causing the horn issue I am having. Trying to calibrate the clock spring and VCDS won’t connect to ABS. I can do a full scan on the car but it won’t let me connect and login to ABS separately.

I can get to the initial screen on the first inquiry. The soft coding is all 0’s. When I try to code for the Allroad and hit “Do it” it disconnects and I get an error message “no response from controller”. After that I have to shut the car off, turn off VCDS in order to even get into the initial ABS screen again.

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jbain2; 06-09-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings BostonDriver's Avatar
    AZ Member #

There is a login sequence, follow the instructions from Ross-Tech here (scroll down to the calibration of the steering angle sensor): http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ics_(Bosch_5.7)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by BostonDriver View Post
    There is a login sequence, follow the instructions from Ross-Tech here (scroll down to the calibration of the steering angle sensor): http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ics_(Bosch_5.7)
    That's just the issue. I can get to the login. When I go to enter the login code and hit "do it", I lose the connection and I get the error message "no connection from controller". Then it won't connect again. Incidentally for the login there is a manual option specifically for the allroad. Do I select that or just the regular manual?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

So it looks like for some reason VCDS isn't communicating properly with the ABS module. Not sure why. Is there a way to reset the module?

Address 34: Level Control Labels: 4Z7-907-553.lbl
    Part No: 4Z7 907 553 F
    Component: - 2C1A1 D060
    Coding: 25500
    Shop #: WSC 06117
    VCID: 4894F752683DA90490-50AC

3 Faults Found:
    01316 - ABS Control Module
    79-00 - Please Check Fault Codes
    79-00 - Please Check Fault Codes
    49-00 - No Communications

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

ABS module has been picky for me with VCDS and my allroad, I basically gave up with my hex-net and just use my hex-can on it at this point even. There is a chance that laptop you are using is even causing some issues some older cars really don't like my Surface for example so maybe try another one if you have access.

Also I think the losing coms is normal after an incorrect login. For manual login do you mean it has an auto fill option or transmission? If the car was swapped to a manual you may need to try to login with the original auto coding.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
    ABS module has been picky for me with VCDS and my allroad, I basically gave up with my hex-net and just use my hex-can on it at this point even. There is a chance that laptop you are using is even causing some issues some older cars really don't like my Surface for example so maybe try another one if you have access.

Also I think the losing coms is normal after an incorrect login. For manual login do you mean it has an auto fill option or transmission? If the car was swapped to a manual you may need to try to login with the original auto coding.
    Thanks for the reply Chris. Going to try and unplug the ABS module today and see if it resets it. Car has always been a 6 MT. When I get the login screen there are 2 options for manual coding. The first states for Allroad specifically with low range and the second states just manual. The difference in coding is the first login would end in 3, with the second it would end in 5.

Senior Member Three Rings charlatan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 S6 AVANT / MK5 R32

Quote Originally Posted by jbain2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Chris. Going to try and unplug the ABS module today and see if it resets it. Car has always been a 6 MT. When I get the login screen there are 2 options for manual coding. The first states for Allroad specifically with low range and the second states just manual. The difference in coding is the first login would end in 3, with the second it would end in 5.

My mechanic had similar issues when doing mine. I cannot recall what he had to do, but he might have had to recode the ABS module at one point.
    theROGUEdesigner

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Ah ok, no US cars had the low range option so you would want the normal one.

Also if you are using the drop down, when available, sometimes they were wrong and never updated so find one of the coding charts and verify it. That has happened to me before.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Veteran Member Three Rings BostonDriver's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Don't forget that intermittent coms with the ABS module sometimes is an indicator of a bad module. BBA Reman or Module Masters can help there.
    Good luck!!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Up and running. Had to mess around with the coding.