Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S5 SB // '05 MV Agusta F4-1000
    Items for Sale

Lauch control or burning up the ZF clutch packs

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Rumor is launch control comes as standard in the S5 SB and googled the procedure:

1. Place the vehicle in Dynamic mode
    2. Select Sport with gear level
    3. Hold ECS until it is in Sport of OFF
    5. Firmly hold down the brake pedal
    6. While holding down the brake pedal, hold down the gas pedal.

Upon trying this, the car doesn't necessarily feel like it's engaging anything beyond attempting to move forward and simply being held back by the brakes. Feels as if I'm just adding stress to the clutch packs.

In the B8 S4, engaging launch control felt as such. Same procedures. However, the car revved freely to 3 or 4K RPM and sling shotted forward once the brake pedal was released.

Granted these are 2 very different transmissions (DSG vs ZF tiptronic) but I was suspecting the same behavior in the S5 SB as I experienced in the B8 S4.

Current: '18 S5 | SportBack | Prestige

Previous: S4 | Stage ++ | PLM

Established Member Two Rings S3 lover's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RLB6 View Post
    Rumor is launch control comes as standard in the S5 SB and googled the procedure:

1. Place the vehicle in Dynamic mode
    2. Select Sport with gear level
    3. Hold ECS until it is in Sport of OFF
    5. Firmly hold down the brake pedal
    6. While holding down the brake pedal, hold down the gas pedal.

Upon trying this, the car doesn't necessarily feel like it's engaging anything beyond attempting to move forward and simply being held back by the brakes. Feels as if I'm just adding stress to the clutch packs.

In the B8 S4, engaging launch control felt as such. Same procedures. However, the car revved freely to 3 or 4K RPM and sling shotted forward once the brake pedal was released.

Granted these are 2 very different transmissions (DSG vs ZF tiptronic) but I was suspecting the same behavior in the S5 SB as I experienced in the B8 S4.
    The dual clutch and the ZF8 are completely different in how they work as transmissions. The ZF8 doesn’t have the same type of “clutch” that the B8 had. The B8 actually has clutch packs that need to be engaged whereas the ZF8 uses pressurized liquid to engage the transmission to the engine. I would imagine launch control actually did more harm to the dual clutch transmission than it does to the ZF8.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S3 lover View Post
    The dual clutch and the ZF8 are completely different in how they work as transmissions. The ZF8 doesn’t have the same type of “clutch” that the B8 had. The B8 actually has clutch packs that need to be engaged whereas the ZF8 uses pressurized liquid to engage the transmission to the engine. I would imagine launch control actually did more harm to the dual clutch transmission than it does to the ZF8.
    Quite.

The issue with the ZF gearbox is more related to heat within said fluid....myou don't want to do too many launches in a short space of time as the fluid and assembly will need time to cool.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

As the others have stated, it doesn't have clutch packs and the risk is from heat. Maximum torque multiplication occurs at just before the stall point, whatever that is for this car.
    2015 monsoon grey S5 sportback (yes the one with 4 doors)
    - MRC stage 2 (189mm Vdamper/Fluidampr crank pulley)