Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Cygnets's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Audi S4, VW Jetta 1.9 TDI

B7 power steering line - am I just stupid?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I forgot to hook up my power steering when putting in the new motor.

I jacked the engine up, removed the driverside motor mount, but for the life of me I can't figure out how the line is supposed to sit.

I don't wanna keep twisting and trying different positions because I don't wanna damage the hose/line, but like Im just confused as hell.

Am I stupid? Is this even the power steering line?

If you have pics of what yours looks like connected and how it correctly sits that would be awesome

Pics:

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4

Yeah that is the power steering hose and it's pretty close there. Here is how mine looked when connected. The flex part uncouples from the hard pipe so I'd say get the hard pipe positioned correctly and attached to the pump with the copper crush washers, and then put the flex part on.

Established Member Two Rings Cygnets's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Audi S4, VW Jetta 1.9 TDI

Okay cool, thanks for the picture. I'll disconnect the hard pipe and bolt it down first..I just feel like mines bent way differently..guess we'll see soon enough lol

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnets View Post
    Okay cool, thanks for the picture. I'll disconnect the hard pipe and bolt it down first..I just feel like mines bent way differently..guess we'll see soon enough lol
    It's possible yours got bent at some point in its past; the hollow tubing isn't too hard to flex if one end is secured in place. If it really is bent weirdly you can gently bend it to shape with your hands, just don't go crazy on it.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Not to hijack here. But anyone know the head size for the bolt on the supply tube that runs up with the dipstick? I think its 10mm but not enough room for my socket and ratchet and i cant seem to get a wrench in there either. Just want to know before i buy a cheap wrench to bend/cut. Unless it is possible from the top. Being its the supply line i was half tempted to just get some power steering/transmission hose and bypass the tube but dont feel like having to replace that once the heat gets to it. Thank you.

Senior Member Three Rings DarrenOman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If I remember correctly, I needed to put the car in semi service mode to reach that bolt. Bumper off and bolts removed on front clip, but keep hoses etc intact.
    Good luck. It's a bitch to reach, but possible.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I was thinking that was going to be the case since thats the answer for most things on this car. But I was able to get to it without service mode. 1/4 ujoint and 10mm socket and an extension. It was a bitch and if you dont have very good dexterity with your fingers, getting it back in would be pretty hard since its just by feel. Would have been pretty easy if you cut/grind a standard socket down to where its only big enough for the hex head.