Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 S6, 03 RS6, 01 C5 4.2 6 speed, 02 Boxster, whole bunch of other cars

Engine out procedures with RS6?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Currently looking at an RS6. What maintenance procedures would require an engine out with the RS6? Turbos? Ex manifold leak? starter? TIA
    Last edited by RdSnake; 06-08-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

Pretty much all of the maintenance lol

Sent from my Z917VL using Tapatalk

Established Member Three Rings JorisRS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

Tranmission/ torque convertor and turbos are the most common reason for pulling it out. But theres a lot more. Egt sensors. Even valve covers i believe. But you pull it once and do everything at the same time. Pulling the engine isnt as hard as most people seem to think

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Does it come out with the trans? Does it come out from the top or the bottom?

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

usually front if you have no lift either trans and engine together or just engine (both is usually easier)

if you have a lift you can drop it out the bottom trans and engine together with the subframe.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Valve covers can be done in situ but it's a royal pain with the SAI/combi valves in place. Motor & trans typically come as one unit either out the front or from below because the right turbo needing to be moved to clear the bell housing to separate the two.

Like most Audi's basic maintenance can be done in service position; anything more the rule of thumb likely will be engine out.

True, pulling the motor isn't as difficult as some make it especially once you've figured out the order in which things should occur. However, when fresh faces show up every other month now that these cars are within reach of a larger demographic asking broad questions or for a step by step procedure on doing XYZ with having no knowledge of said person's capabilities it's only natural to lean towards dissuading them or suggesting they find a qualified mechanic. Some, like myself are naturally mechanically incline, many are not. One mistake and you could multiply the repair cost ten fold.

It's a ~15 yr old limited production halo car. There is little collective information out there and most of the long term original owners have moved on. Unless you are good at internet searching and wading through hundreds, not millions or even thousands, just a few hundred threads with usable information you're going to have a bad time.

If you want to push this platform beyond the few basic bolt-ons you'll be charting new territories cause only a small number have done it and they are tight lip'd with the details.

It's a whole lot of car for <$30k. My advice is to think long and hard before entering the game. You could end up with your dream car (hopefully so) or a nightmare you wish you'd never set eyes on.

Senior Member Two Rings mr_dave's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 RS6

Quote Originally Posted by JorisRS6 View Post
    Tranmission/ torque convertor and turbos are the most common reason for pulling it out.
    Agreed.

Even valve covers i believe.
    It's possible to do without removing the engine but takes a little extra work.

edit: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26...ility-question

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Currently own an S6, Boxster and a few Mercedes. I service all of them. I do all maintenance procedures and recently performed TB, WP and replaced #1 cylinder head on my S6. Gonna be dropping the trans on it for rebuilding...sad but it is what it is. I guess I am looking for the next mechanical challenge to tackle and the RS6 seems to be a worthy challenge.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Oh yeah, you'll do fine then.

The "budget" RS6 doesn't exist. A $10k car is going to likely need a couple thousand in maintenance off the bat. A ~$20k car might get you a year before having to dump a small fortune in. All have a ticking time bomb in the form a TIP5; some less than others (e.g. general consensus VINs 905500+). Lots of parts are interchangeable across the platform. Then there are the RS specific parts that you'll pay an extra premium for. Stock pile parts when you find good deals. Most importantly, enjoy it.

I lurk around here for general platform info but rs6.com is where the most active owners hang out. Lots of knowledge there just don't take anything personal.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks! Really appreciate the insight. Im gonna be hooking up VCDS as part of my pre purchase inspection. Anything i should look out for on VCDS?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You're already ahead of the curve having access to a VAGCOM. Google any codes that are present. Anything related to the trans (P0730/P0741) is a sure sign it's on the way out. During test drive, put it in TIP mode 5th gear and roll into it without engaging the kickdown; if you notice RPMs climbing but not accelerating the TC is slipping. If DRC still present, check for leaking shocks/struts. Typical clunking from worn front control arms. Probably difficult without a lift but possible leaking rear main seal and/or oil cooler coolant (bufkin) pipe. Worn rotors (pricey to replace). Common intercooler leaking (oil & grime collecting near the bottom corner). Any maintenance documentation is always a plus. Recall work possibly for trans/tc, drc, fuel tank check valve.

This is all from memory as I swapped in a 6MT into mine a few years ago. I have lots of pictures from the project and currently have a spare BCY sitting on an engine stand torn down if you're interested in any specific details. Especially to get an idea of how tightly it's packaged.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Wow!! Thanks for all the assistance! I bought it yesterday and I had with me a pair of ramps, crocodile jack and a jackstand. I put the car on the ramps and crawled underneath to check for leaks and all. Car was clean enough. VCDS did not have any codes and car actually passed smog day before.
    Im very happy with the purchase and will be lurking on rs6.com for more rs6 edumacation. Thanks again!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

Pictures???? Good luck with the rs6. Amazing cars. But they can give you a serious headache sometimes. I will be posting a complete engine removal guide soon when ive got more time

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Pictures???? Good luck with the rs6. Amazing cars. But they can give you a serious headache sometimes. I will be posting a complete engine removal guide soon when ive got more time
    Dont know if posting pics would require a host but im gonna try. A guide would be awesome! Looking forward to it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

Use the audizine app on your phone

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Use the audizine app on your phone
    ok got it. will check it out!

Off topic. How do I register on RS6.com?

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap

Engine out procedures with RS6?

Quote Originally Posted by RdSnake View Post

Off topic. How do I register on RS6.com?
    Itís a bit of a pain (at least it was for me). I had to email the moderator a couple of times before my registration went through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

I did too. But 99% of the new threads are kinda useless. Digging around in the old threads is going to give you way more information

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I just remembered I ran across this a few years ago. I suggest downloading these somewhere for safe keeping.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22...to-Google-Docs