Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 12 2014
    AZ Member #
    282173
    Location
    Long Island

    Question Adding "External A/V" to MMI 2G

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I recently purchased a 2009 A6 and I thought it would be cool to have the ability to mirror my phone onto the MMI display(Using HDMI to RCA converter). My car does not currently display the External A/V option, Im assuming because I dont have a factory TV Tuner.

    I was wondering what my best bet would be to get an RCA input to the MMI?

    Can I add a factory TV Tuner to the car right now? Is there an adapter cable that actually works?

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings niedzial1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    374278
    Location
    surrey, uk

    First you need to check if your mmi module has fbas (video in) without that you cannot

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 12 2014
    AZ Member #
    282173
    Location
    Long Island

    How do I go about checking that? I read somewhere that anything newer than 08 would have the FBAS but I'm not sure how true that is

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings niedzial1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    374278
    Location
    surrey, uk

    On mmi2g you would have fbas if you have tv tuner

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Three Rings cal3thousand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 19 2013
    AZ Member #
    109847
    My Garage
    1994 Volvo 850 Turbo
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Quote Originally Posted by tmaclax013 View Post
    How do I go about checking that? I read somewhere that anything newer than 08 would have the FBAS but I'm not sure how true that is
    If you have backup camera, you have FBAS.
    Danton Black: 2009 Audi C6.5 A6 Sedan (Quattro, 3.0T, Prestige)
    I miss my Avant, longing for a 2011 3.0T
    Dead:
    Griselda, aka Grizzy: 2007 Audi C6 A6 Avant (Quattro, S-Line)

    Just some small cosmetic mods while getting to Stage 0

    Need MMI 2G High update info? PM me.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Three Rings cal3thousand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 19 2013
    AZ Member #
    109847
    My Garage
    1994 Volvo 850 Turbo
    Location
    Los Angeles

    There's also a way to solder on resistors and a chip to get FBAS on a stock non-FBAS unit:

    http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/add-f...0-035-729.html
    Danton Black: 2009 Audi C6.5 A6 Sedan (Quattro, 3.0T, Prestige)
    I miss my Avant, longing for a 2011 3.0T
    Dead:
    Griselda, aka Grizzy: 2007 Audi C6 A6 Avant (Quattro, S-Line)

    Just some small cosmetic mods while getting to Stage 0

    Need MMI 2G High update info? PM me.

  7. #7
    Active Member Two Rings ApostolSauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 28 2010
    AZ Member #
    66315
    My Garage
    C6.5 Avant, STG3 B5S4
    Location
    North Jersey

    i prop my phone up in the screen cubby 🤣


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Three Rings cal3thousand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 19 2013
    AZ Member #
    109847
    My Garage
    1994 Volvo 850 Turbo
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Quote Originally Posted by ApostolSauce View Post
    i prop my phone up in the screen cubby 🤣


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Me too... phone fits perfectly there. But I generally just use my phone mount, which is right there also.

    Before putting any more coin into getting FBAS working, I would go this route:

    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ut-to-release?

    Much better screen, if you're going to be watching stuff on there.
    Last edited by cal3thousand; 06-13-2018 at 09:18 AM.
    Danton Black: 2009 Audi C6.5 A6 Sedan (Quattro, 3.0T, Prestige)
    I miss my Avant, longing for a 2011 3.0T
    Dead:
    Griselda, aka Grizzy: 2007 Audi C6 A6 Avant (Quattro, S-Line)

    Just some small cosmetic mods while getting to Stage 0

    Need MMI 2G High update info? PM me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 12 2014
    AZ Member #
    282173
    Location
    Long Island

    Quote Originally Posted by cal3thousand View Post
    Me too... phone fits perfectly there. But I generally just use my phone mount, which is right there also.

    Before putting any more coin into getting FBAS working, I would go this route:

    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ut-to-release?

    Much better screen, if you're going to be watching stuff on there.
    Holy crap you just made me so happy lol. Im curious to see when they make a version for the 2G. I would much rather have Android Auto functionality than just screen mirroring honestly. Would love to scoop on of those asap

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Three Rings cal3thousand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 19 2013
    AZ Member #
    109847
    My Garage
    1994 Volvo 850 Turbo
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Quote Originally Posted by tmaclax013 View Post
    Holy crap you just made me so happy lol. Im curious to see when they make a version for the 2G. I would much rather have Android Auto functionality than just screen mirroring honestly. Would love to scoop on of those asap


    Same. This makes me happy about keeping this car for the long haul. I can handle all the mechanical stuff in one way or another, but there's not much way to keep the car up to current electronic standards unless things like this get developed.
    Danton Black: 2009 Audi C6.5 A6 Sedan (Quattro, 3.0T, Prestige)
    I miss my Avant, longing for a 2011 3.0T
    Dead:
    Griselda, aka Grizzy: 2007 Audi C6 A6 Avant (Quattro, S-Line)

    Just some small cosmetic mods while getting to Stage 0

    Need MMI 2G High update info? PM me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 12 2014
    AZ Member #
    282173
    Location
    Long Island

    Quote Originally Posted by cal3thousand View Post


    Same. This makes me happy about keeping this car for the long haul. I can handle all the mechanical stuff in one way or another, but there's not much way to keep the car up to current electronic standards unless things like this get developed.
    Yeh thats how I feel. I ended up with a Premium Plus(got it for an absolute steal) and my only gripes were the Non-Push to start and 2G MMI. So if this comes to fruition the only thing Ill have to complain about is the turning the key hahaha



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.