Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Angry 99 A4 Boost Woes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

I've spent many weeks sifting through forum posts trying to figure out the issue with my 99 (AEB 1.8T) A4 Quattro and I'm finally caving and making a post! Basically my issues have revolved around the way the car is boosting/a feeling like its falling short under acceleration. I have a new N75, a Forge Splitter (recirc) and the car is flashed with an APR Stage 1 tune.

Under WOT in 3rd gear (for example) the car will hit 5 psi and stay there for a moment, then spike up to 10 or so. It isn't smooth or linear and under WOT I typically wont pass about 5 psi for the first several gears.

While very rudimentary, my boost leak test didn't seem to find any leaks.

With what seems like a million possibilities between all the forum posts I'm seeing, I'd be curious what AZ's advice is for next steps. Maf? Coils? While not feeling a hard misfire or seeing a code it seems like this is also possible from my HW.

Any advice would be great, thank you guys!
    Last edited by BG894; 06-08-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings RoadRage's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Allroad, '66 Cl160, '70 CT70, '81 Vespa PX80

Are you sure you don't have leaks? did you check all the hoses under the intake manifold?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRage View Post
    Are you sure you don't have leaks? did you check all the hoses under the intake manifold?
    When the system was pressurized I wasn't hearing anything but with the way some of the nasty vacuum lines I replaced looked, I think that's a good call.

AZ Member #

My PCV breather came out in about 50 pieces...

I had capped off my PCV system to try and be able to hear a leak better and not pressurize my crank case. Foolish me didn't know about the multiple plastic pieces that basically disintegrate.

Thank you RoadRage! Gave me the extra push to actually get into things under the intake mani. VERY glad this is squared away now.