Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Exhaust

Established Member Three Rings kjeeper10's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Exhaust

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Im at a heavy debate here. Im liking the sound of the IE downpipes here.
    https://youtu.be/0ZK-sUziCIA

Or the garage im having COís done at loves the AWE Touring with res down pipes.

Under a $1000 vs $2800. Or $700 if I install the DPís myself.

HELP !! LOL
    2015 Audi S5, Daytona Grey Pearl, 6 speed, sport differential, Opti-pro coat,
    Mods- ORT adjustable coilovers - Chipwerke Pro - CTS intake - 19x9.5 Advanti Racing wheels - 255 Sumi HTR-Z III Summer tires - Weathertech floor mats - S5 door logo lights.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

They will be 2 different sound levels, it's up to you on the budget part but the AWE + Res will be a more toned/refined sound.

Active Member Two Rings Brad Williams's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I always get complements on the sound of the awe exhaust. First thing everyone says. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Williams View Post
    I always get complements on the sound of the awe exhaust. First thing everyone says. Well worth it.

What downpipes u have ?
    Mods- ORT adjustable coilovers - Chipwerke Pro - CTS intake - 19x9.5 Advanti Racing wheels - 255 Sumi HTR-Z III Summer tires - Weathertech floor mats - S5 door logo lights.

Active Member Two Rings Brad Williams's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Stock.

Established Member Three Rings Sazexa's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

Don't ever rule out something custom. I've got cats and factory down pipes, with all three mufflers removed and an X-Pipe. Of all the S5's I've heard, it sounds meanest second only to ones truly straight piped (or my previous set up, cats only.) This set up is tolerable for a daily, at least to me.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Quote Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post
    Don't ever rule out something custom. I've got cats and factory down pipes, with all three mufflers removed and an X-Pipe. Of all the S5's I've heard, it sounds meanest second only to ones truly straight piped (or my previous set up, cats only.) This set up is tolerable for a daily, at least to me.
    Wonder if Pops does German cars.

Senior Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Happen to have any videos? I've heard a few that sounded like absolute shit, but I've also heard a couple that sound pretty good.
    2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

You have the 4.2? As far as I understand it big difference with exhaust systems. You already are ahead lol.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Subaru STI. 2006 Subaru Forester.

Running AWE Touring with non res downpipes, on my 16 S5, Love it, never looked back!

Senior Member Three Rings LordMagnet's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So hard to justify the price of the AWE system. The dual outlet cat-back for my old Honda S2000 was literally a quarter of the cost of this one I have on the Audi. But damn does it sound good. Not to say that something more custom won't.
    2015 Audi S5 Coupe 6MT | Mythos Black Metallic : Black Nappa : Alu-Optic : B&O : Sport Diff. : 19" RS Rims : Carbon Fiber Inlay | APR Stage 2 : Roc-Euro Intake : AWE Touring Exhaust 102mm : EuroCode Short Shifter : USP Clutch Line : CR-15 Strut Tower Brace : 034 Mounts : H&R OE Sport Springs : 15mm/20mm Spacers : Tint 35% Sides / 20% Rear : Interior LED Kit : E-Codes : Dipped Grille | 413 AWHP / 375 AWTQ

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

@kjeeper10
    Pop's will do German cars. I asked before but ended up doing my own work. I do have the 4.2L. I find the exhaust all have a relative similar sound signature but the depth, cracks/pops, and some of the raspiness is really what varies.

@HazeMyth
    I have video of the cats-only. I'll take a video of the current set up then I'll post both here for you.

Senior Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^ Cool, will be nice to hear it.
    2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Quote Originally Posted by LordMagnet View Post
    So hard to justify the price of the AWE system. The dual outlet cat-back for my old Honda S2000 was literally a quarter of the cost of this one I have on the Audi. But damn does it sound good. Not to say that something more custom won't.
    No shit huh?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Exhaust

@kjeeper10
    Pop's will do German cars. I asked before but ended up doing my own work. I do have the 4.2L. I find the exhaust all have a relative similar sound signature but the depth, cracks/pops, and some of the raspiness is really what varies.

@HazeMyth
    I have video of the cats-only. I'll take a video of the current set up then I'll post both here for you.
    Pops sells Magnaflow I believe

Edit just called, you are correct. They do sell Magna but do custom mostly. Couldnít really give ideas over the phone . Will have to stop in with specific model/car.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

So I've experimented with three custom exhaust set ups so far. It's hard to say exactly how it would work out for you, but, I'll give my opinion regarding the 4.2L V8.

The first set up I did was just the rear mufflers removed. This is probably the best set up for MOST people as an every day driver. It's loud enough to be fun and heard, but, still relatively quiet compared to some set ups. I don't have a video on youtube, so, message me on/go to my Instagram (@Sazexa) if you want to see that set up. It's super cheap to do also, from a custom shop.

The second set up I did was catalytic converters only, and then 2.5" piping back. My friend has a B7 S4, with the 4.2L V8. We did a muffler delete on his car and found that, aside from the mufflers it was straight piped. But it wasn't much louder than my S5 so we did something similar. I removed the large center muffler and the two downpipe resonators. I figured it'd be about as loud as my friend's S4. I was wrong, it was WAY louder for some reason lol. It sounded fantastic but as a daily driven car, it was just too much. I think my neighbors weren't too fond of it, either. Anything on the highway at or above 75 on this set up was just annoying. Video here. As you'll see it sounds fantastic, but, look how loud I was from so far away. And that was still WITH cats!

I lived with that set up for a few months. It actually got worse to bear as winter came on. Having the windows down with the last set up made it seem more bearable even if it was technically a little louder, it didn't feel as boomy or drone-y. I decided to put the resonators/downpipes back on the car. After doing so, I was amazed by the initial amount of volume muted compared to start up. Every day driving is not only tolerable but I'd call it a perfect balance of fun and comfortable. It does get a little loud sometimes up hill on highways, or when cruising at or above 85 MPH, but it's still bearable. It's practically silent at 65-70 MPH in sixth gear. It's still very loud and noticeable when you really hammer it. This set up has gotten me the most compliments by far. It also still has all the pops/backfires/crackles/burbles of the previous set up. (The first set up had basically none.) Here is a video I took today demonstrating it. Also, by the time I got around to doing this exhaust I had put on the 3.2L V6 S-Line diffuser, painted black, with 4" black exhaust tips. I haven't done it yet, I do have an x-pipe I can weld in. Just wondering if I should go for it or not. I might make something like a sub section in the exhaust where I can easily take the x-pipe out if I don't like the sound it produces.
    034Motorsport: Control arms, intake tube, aluminum trans. brace and mount, rear sway bar, strut mounts || JHM: "solid" short throw shifter and shifter linkage || ST: "X" coilovers || K&N E-1987 air filter || RS style: center and foglight grilles || custom downpipe-back exhaust with A5 S-Line rear valence 4" tips || OEM 19" x 8.5" stock wheels powder-coated black with 15 front/20mm rear spacers

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

I would say though, from what I've seen of the 3.0T's, if you want to do something economical start with just a rear muffler delete. It'll still sound toned but just be louder.
    034Motorsport: Control arms, intake tube, aluminum trans. brace and mount, rear sway bar, strut mounts || JHM: "solid" short throw shifter and shifter linkage || ST: "X" coilovers || K&N E-1987 air filter || RS style: center and foglight grilles || custom downpipe-back exhaust with A5 S-Line rear valence 4" tips || OEM 19" x 8.5" stock wheels powder-coated black with 15 front/20mm rear spacers

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

So I've experimented with three custom exhaust set ups so far. It's hard to say exactly how it would work out for you, but, I'll give my opinion regarding the 4.2L V8.

The first set up I did was just the rear mufflers removed. This is probably the best set up for MOST people as an every day driver. It's loud enough to be fun and heard, but, still relatively quiet compared to some set ups. I don't have a video on youtube, so, message me on/go to my Instagram (@Sazexa) if you want to see that set up. It's super cheap to do also, from a custom shop.

The second set up I did was catalytic converters only, and then 2.5" piping back. My friend has a B7 S4, with the 4.2L V8. We did a muffler delete on his car and found that, aside from the mufflers it was straight piped. But it wasn't much louder than my S5 so we did something similar. I removed the large center muffler and the two downpipe resonators. I figured it'd be about as loud as my friend's S4. I was wrong, it was WAY louder for some reason lol. It sounded fantastic but as a daily driven car, it was just too much. I think my neighbors weren't too fond of it, either. Anything on the highway at or above 75 on this set up was just annoying. Video here. As you'll see it sounds fantastic, but, look how loud I was from so far away. And that was still WITH cats!

I lived with that set up for a few months. It actually got worse to bear as winter came on. Having the windows down with the last set up made it seem more bearable even if it was technically a little louder, it didn't feel as boomy or drone-y. I decided to put the resonators/downpipes back on the car. After doing so, I was amazed by the initial amount of volume muted compared to start up. Every day driving is not only tolerable but I'd call it a perfect balance of fun and comfortable. It does get a little loud sometimes up hill on highways, or when cruising at or above 85 MPH, but it's still bearable. It's practically silent at 65-70 MPH in sixth gear. It's still very loud and noticeable when you really hammer it. This set up has gotten me the most compliments by far. It also still has all the pops/backfires/crackles/burbles of the previous set up. (The first set up had basically none.) Here is a video I took today demonstrating it. Also, by the time I got around to doing this exhaust I had put on the 3.2L V6 S-Line diffuser, painted black, with 4" black exhaust tips. I haven't done it yet, I do have an x-pipe I can weld in. Just wondering if I should go for it or not. I might make something like a sub section in the exhaust where I can easily take the x-pipe out if I don't like the sound it produces.
    Omg thats Fín loud LOL

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

See i like this right here
    https://youtu.be/0ZK-sUziCIA

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Scion FR-S

Sounds good, but, I wonder if it's any drone-y