Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Cracked Fuel Pump???

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just took my 08 S5 in for the catalytic converter recall, and had my coils and plugs changed while there. After that work (an ordeal I'll detail in another thread, I'm driving home from the shop and the CEL pops on. I took it to get a diagnostic from a local parts store and the code on the reader was for a cylinder 2 misfire. I went home, parked my car in my garage, and woke up to gas fumes throughout my house, and gas on the floor of my garage. I took it back to the shop, and the tech diagnosed it as a cracked fuel pump that was giving out misfire codes for cylinders 2&4. I was told by the service manager that this is a common thing in these cars. Anybody else experience this? The cost to fix this is just over $1000...too much in my opinion for fuel pump replacement. Is it possible this could have been caused by the work I had done (cat recall, coils, plugs)? Of course the dealership says no, and they could be right, but I am suspicious of the dealership. They have tried to get me enough that I am almost done with Audi, as much as I like the cars (this S5 is my second Audi...had a 2002 A6 2.7T before this...another money pit). Just want to know if this whole fuel pump thing is common.

Veteran Member Four Rings JoshDub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Which fuel pump? High pressure pump in the engine bay or the low pressure pump in the tank?
    The Awesome™

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDub View Post
    Which fuel pump? High pressure pump in the engine bay or the low pressure pump in the tank?
    It is the pump on the passenger side/rear.

Veteran Member Three Rings mcbuck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Jeep, a Mini, and a 328 cab

I would be suspicious, coincidental events are usually not. Leaking fuel pump throwing a misfire code?? I call BS.

I experienced something similar with fumes and gas on the garage floor. Turns out the LP fuel pump in the tank had a shipping cap on an unused port (on the top, outside the tank). This port has something to do with recirculation on cold weather packages. Anyway, this cap eventually cracked and failed so that anytime I filled up the tank, gas was running out on top of the tank. Soaked into the foam under the back seat and created an overall very dangerous situation.

Assuming same location, pull the back seat and investigate for yourself. Grab the seat between the bottom and back, pull up and out. Fuel pump should be under the cover on the passenger side with I think 3 screws holding it on. Let us know what you figure out.
    BUCK
    2013 RS5 Daytona Grey Pearl, X-pipe, 20% tint, Arc Audio/Alpine, interior/backup LED, 034 RSB, H&R sport, 10mm, V-FF 103
    GONE - B7 A4 quatro, 2.0T, 6MT, 250K....dropped, tuned, and everything else

AZ Member #

Sounds like the low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank.

I don't see why they would have touched that during the cat service. Your scenario certainly doesn't sound like a coincidence, but I don't see any logical reason for them to be back there to damage it.

You can access the pump using the access panel under the rear seat. To get to pump you pull up the rear seat, remove the passenger side black access panel (3 screws). From there you will be able to see if the housing is cracked or if it's just the port plug like mcbuck mentioned. The pump replacement shouldn't take more than half an hour, and I believe a new pump is just shy of $400
    The Awesome™

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Buck/Josh...I appreciate your input. I wish I had come to the forum before leaving my car at Audi. The price I was quoted for the parts was somewhere between $400-$500...consistent with what you said Josh. Of course, they claim a bit more than 30 minutes on the labor. They'll probably get me for another $400 or so. I'm officially done with taking my car to the dealership...probably would never have been there anyway if it hadn't been for the recent recalls. This whole ordeal will cause me to either find a reputable mechanic, or get real comfortable with doing my own work again. This repair comes right on top of a mysterious failed starter that I just had replaced 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to hang with Audi, but they are making it hard. Again, thanks guys, for your insight.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

op good luck. too bad you didnt ask sooner. the low pressure (and high pressure fuel pumps) fuel pumps are easy to change. could totally do it with the right tools and about an hour of your time. when i replaced my low pressure fuel pump the old one had a return port blocked off. the new one didnt come blocked off from the factory, and i had a leak there. which sounds like what your describing.

AZ Member #

You aren't alone. The Audi dealers are awful for service around here. I don't understand how they come up with their pricing. For example, my VW dealer does full alignments for $110 and sometimes runs specials for less. Audi is nearly $400 for the exact same thing.

Good call on trying to find a good indy. There is no reason not to.
    The Awesome™

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So, to update the initial post. Audi replaced my low pressure fuel pump...total cost (parts and labor) $1068. For the effing fuel pump...they even said they got to it through the back seat, which according to reputable posts here, was less than 1 hour of work. Oh, and here is the kicker...1 day later and my check engine light is back on. The code says misfire on cylinder 2, which is what it said when I took it back for the fuel pump. I guess I should start another thread to help me diagnose this issue. You guys seem to know more than the folks at the dealership. I just had the plugs and coils changed 3 weeks ago. I guess I'll start another thread on this issue if I can't find it on other posts.

AZ Member #

RIP.

The dealership will just throw your money at the car until the issue or you go away. Their level of diagnosis goes as far as the sales desk.

Sounds like you have the V8, correct? Since you have replaced the plugs and coil packs, carbon buildup and fuel injectors are a common issue. Neither of which will be cheap. Posting up a thread outlaying what you've done, the details of the code (VCDS printout would be nice), and the symptoms you're experiencing would be a good place to start.
    The Awesome™

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Damn! Did you at least get a kiss??

On stuff like that, anybody here would be more than happy to walk you through basic wrenching.

As far as the misfire - since you just had coils replaced, I would think that would rule out a bad coil. BUT, you could swap coils around to see if the misfire follows the coil just to be sure. If it was me, I would start with a fuel injector cleaner. There are many options out there, but I have used techron in the past, YMMV.
    BUCK
    2013 RS5 Daytona Grey Pearl, X-pipe, 20% tint, Arc Audio/Alpine, interior/backup LED, 034 RSB, H&R sport, 10mm, V-FF 103

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

RIP.

The dealership will just throw your money at the car until the issue or you go away. Their level of diagnosis goes as far as the sales desk.

Sounds like you have the V8, correct? Since you have replaced the plugs and coil packs, carbon buildup and fuel injectors are a common issue. Neither of which will be cheap. Posting up a thread outlaying what you've done, the details of the code (VCDS printout would be nice), and the symptoms you're experiencing would be a good place to start.
    I absolutely agree with your assessment on dealer diagnosis. I have horror stories that include being told I needed a new transmission ($6700) in my 02 A6, only to take it to an indy shop for a $250 dollar flush. Anyway...yes, I do have the 4.2 (08 S5). I will get another scan and post the result. As for symptoms, I can feel a slight misfire under moderate acceleration. It's more noticeable when the engine is cold. Acceleration is strong, so I have to be careful not to get into it too much to avoid the flashing CEL. No other symptoms that I can recall. I'll take note when I drive home from work tonight.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mcbuck View Post
    Damn! Did you at least get a kiss??

On stuff like that, anybody here would be more than happy to walk you through basic wrenching.

As far as the misfire - since you just had coils replaced, I would think that would rule out a bad coil. BUT, you could swap coils around to see if the misfire follows the coil just to be sure. If it was me, I would start with a fuel injector cleaner. There are many options out there, but I have used techron in the past, YMMV.
    Yeah, no kiss, reach around, or nothin' ! I will try the injector cleaner tonight, and probably the coil swap this weekend if the injector cleaner doesn't work. I am definitely open to basic tutoring on some repairs. I figure I probably won't break it more than it is already broken. And repair costs at Audi are gonna put me in the poor house if I don't do something.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

RIP.

I had a scan done at my local auto parts store last night. The only code detected was a P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected. As I stated earlier, I had plugs and coils replaced 3 weeks ago. Also had the CATs and ECU replaced under the recall during that same period. I do recall getting a Cylinder 2 misfire code even before having my coils and plugs replaced (that reading was back in March). Just had the low pressure fuel pump replaced (still smelling gas though). I'm treating the fuel now with Techron. I'll do two tanks back to back, but don't expect much of a result. I'll find a schematic to figure out which cylinder is #2 (I'm not sure which anymore), and see if juggling the coil packs around produces a different result. If it isn't a coil or sparkplug, what else could it be? I'm at a loss.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Pretty sure #2 is passenger side, second one from the front. If not plugs or coils, then carbon buildup or injector are about the only other culprits, as JoshDub said. Just thinking out loud, possibly fuel filter but that doesn't jive with only one cylinder misfire, and I would think you would get a bank lean CEL code also.
    Maybe pull the #2 plug and compare with the adjacent plugs to see if there is a difference. You can find plenty of pics diagnosing cylinder issues by plug condition.
    BUCK