Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings 99PanozAIV's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 Panoz AIV roadster

2008 S4 Avant serpentine belt and water pump

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, my Audi listed above has just over 105,000 miles and the serpentine belt is cracked and needs replacing...scheduled for the 15th of this month. When I mentioned this to an acquaintance, he said I should have them replace the water pump while theyíre at it. Iím reluctant to mess its anything thatís not a problem but I plan on keeping this car until itís wheels fall off or mine do. The carís in great shape, doesnít use a drop of oil, performs great, etc. Given that the estimate for the serpentine belt replacement in in the neighborhood of $500+ Iím not keen to add to that bill. There are no problems with the pump now, what says Audizine?
    1999 Panoz AIV
    2008 Audi S4 Avant
    2014 Mini Cooper S Countyman

Established Member Two Rings PigDiesel54's Avatar
    AZ Member #

IMO I follow the if it ain't broken and doesn't have a upgrade-able part, just leave it be. Also, have you looked into replacing the belt yourself? Can save yourself a whole lot of money, OEM Accessory Belt sells for around $35.
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 S4 Avant 6MT
    2001 Cactus Green B5 S4 Avant 6MT
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Replacing the belt is super easy. Don't touch the water pump unless you need to..... it isn't ran off of the belt so you would be taking other stuff off to do so.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 Panoz AIV roadster

Quote Originally Posted by PigDiesel54 View Post
    IMO I follow the if it ain't broken and doesn't have a upgrade-able part, just leave it be. Also, have you looked into replacing the belt yourself? Can save yourself a whole lot of money, OEM Accessory Belt sells for around $35.
    Iím a few weeks out of spinal surgery so Iím not doing much. I was just given the OK to drive again about 10 days ago. Iím not that much of a wrencher anyway, especially for something estimated at 4 1/2hours labor by folks that actually know what theyíre doing. Ha!
    1999 Panoz AIV
    2008 Audi S4 Avant

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 Panoz AIV roadster

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    Replacing the belt is super easy. Don't touch the water pump unless you need to..... it isn't ran off of the belt so you would be taking other stuff off to do so.

Thanks...good to know. I had not even thought of it and Iíve always liked ďif it ainít broke, donít fix itĒ myself.
    1999 Panoz AIV
    2008 Audi S4 Avant

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4

4 1/2 hours is quite a stretch, even with stripped bolts on the tensioner it didn't take me that long and I'm just a hobbyist, but your choice in the end so do what works for you.

Established Member Two Rings PigDiesel54's Avatar
    AZ Member #

4.5hrs seems a little much for a simple belt change. Idk maybe Vinny can back me up on this but I feel like the longest part would be putting it into service position(if that is even need if you like working in tight spaces). Would it be possible to get a quote from another shop? Just call and say you need a new accessory belt put on and that's it. If you get better prices tell the first shops how long other shops take to do it.
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 S4 Avant 6MT
    2001 Cactus Green B5 S4 Avant 6MT
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PigDiesel54 View Post
    4.5hrs seems a little much for a simple belt change. Idk maybe Vinny can back me up on this but I feel like the longest part would be putting it into service position(if that is even need if you like working in tight spaces). Would it be possible to get a quote from another shop? Just call and say you need a new accessory belt put on and that's it. If you get better prices tell the first shops how long other shops take to do it.
    It takes me roughly 10 to 15 minutes to put the car into service position and about the same to change the belt. And I don't do it for a living.... If they quote you 4 hours, take your car and run. Find a better shop

1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4

Looks like that shop really does "know what they're doing"...which is, gouging people.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi S4 Cab

About 3 months ago, I replaced the tensioner, idler pulley, belt and snub mount. I did all of this in my home garage with the car on ramps.

My mechanical skills are basic and I would say it took me less than 3 hours taking my time.

The hardest part was my dealing with the hood latch afterwards. I didnít realize when I installed the snub mount I dislodged the hood release cable. Rookie mistake not checking that before I closed the hood. Fixing that is another story.

I agree with others, run away and go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Three Rings roboto_1337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by 99PanozAIV View Post
    So, my Audi listed above has just over 105,000 miles and the serpentine belt is cracked and needs replacing...scheduled for the 15th of this month. When I mentioned this to an acquaintance, he said I should have them replace the water pump while theyíre at it. Iím reluctant to mess its anything thatís not a problem but I plan on keeping this car until itís wheels fall off or mine do. The carís in great shape, doesnít use a drop of oil, performs great, etc. Given that the estimate for the serpentine belt replacement in in the neighborhood of $500+ Iím not keen to add to that bill. There are no problems with the pump now, what says Audizine?
    Are you talking about the accessory drive chain on the back of the engine? Or the alternator belt on the front?... I think that you're friend is making a generalization based on how some vehicles operate... If replacing the alternator belt, the water pump is not a "while you're in there" job.
    Piggy Pipes, Milltek non-res cat-back exhaust, JHM 93 Tune, JHM Short Throw Shifter, Updated RS4 upper and lower timing guides, Brembo 18Z w/RS4 SS lines, Hotchkiss RS4 Front Anti-sway bars, BC racing BR coilovers, EB-Works adjustable rear end links, 034 Motorsports spherical end links. 034 Motorsport Engine mounts, 034 Motorsports Silicon MAF hose, Hartmann 19" RS4 Reps +5mm 42DD front +10mm ECS rear.