Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 S4 Prestige and 2018 Q3 P+

Aluminum Vs. Carbon Inlays?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Can you all please post up some good quality pics of your stock interiors? I recently had a deal fall through and it has given more time to second guess my original choice. There are two exact spec'd cars on the boat and headed my way, with the only difference being the interior trim. They are the exact car that I would spec out, so I have really lucked out. I originally thought I wanted the aluminum trim, but the more I look at photos, the tougher my decision gets. And, the photos that I have to look at are either in bad lighting, bad angles, or the stock rendered image from the website. I have only seen one S4 with the aluminum trim, and that was a year ago. There aren't any S4/S5's in my area with that trim for me to go look at, every single car has carbon. I also recently read that the aluminum scratches very easily and is almost impossible to repair when scratched. I have read that some people have wrapped their trim, to help prevent scratches. Have any of you done that? So, back to my reason for this post. I would like to hear from you and see some quality pics, regarding the wear and tear and/or durability of your trim. My thoughts on the aluminum: looks a little more classic and brightens up the all black interior, but it may be a little mundane and it also may scratch too easily. Thoughts on the carbon: it offers a more modern and stylish look, and may be more durable or scratch resistant (or at least hide the scratches better), but it makes the interior much darker, and "is it just kind of the "it" thing right now?". They both look great, so it's a really tough decision. All your help and input is appreciated. ..... I apologize for rambling on.*

Veteran Member Four Rings Crucible35's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13 Lawnmower Prem. Quattro

I may be going against the grain here when I say that I've never been a fan of carbon fibre on the interior. The hatch pattern, for me, clashes with the interior and I find it too busy....and lacks the subtlety that I prefer. My previous A4 had aluminum atlas interior(I think that's what it was called) trim that I thought was great. Had a bit of a herring-bone pattern to it that hid any scratches. My current A4 just has the standard aluminum trim which is fine, but it can scratch up quite a bit. You will always be able to wrap the trim (or even paint it) after purchase if you prefer something else.
    '15 A4 S Line Q Tip Monsoon
    '09 A4 Premium Q Tip Meteor (Gone)

Veteran Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

Audi " carbon fiber " has had cracking issues on B 8.5 cars. Aluminum can scratch, but does not crack.
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Active Member One Ring Flipboi89's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I got the aluminum as I like a lighter interior and saved the money.

But be advised it scratches easily like tin foil. Mine is 6 months old and I have some nasty scratches that I didn't even notice I caused.

Established Member Two Rings F80Dreamer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Mine has aluminum trim and I agree with Flipboi...I am shocked at how easy it is to scratch.
    2018 S4 — current ride
    2017 M3 — sold
    2012 M3 — sold
    2015 GTI — sold
    2015 Mustang — sold
    2011 335is — sold

AZ Member #

My car came with the brushed aluminum but I really wanted carbon fiber so I’ve been buying pieces and swapping them out little by little. I like the look of both but prefer the carbon fiber for now.

IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2018 S4 Glacier white, ED springs, RS4 grille.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 S4 | 2018 Triumph Street Triple 765R

Ours came with the CF inlays and it would have been our choice if we had to order another one in.

I'll be getting the window trims and the roof wrapped in gloss black and find the darker look of the CF will work better.

As for cracking - none so far 9 months.
    2018 S4 Glacier White
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CMA337 View Post
    My car came with the brushed aluminum but I really wanted carbon fiber so I’ve been buying pieces and swapping them out little by little. I like the look of both but prefer the carbon fiber for now.

IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    By any chance, did you get the parts from Audi? and if so, how much was it?

I decided to see if Audi can replace it with the carbon fiber trim and here's their quote:

$360 each - For Center console and the big piece below A/C
    $266 - to the right of steering wheel
    $250 each - for front doors
    $260 each - for rear doors

so overall - $2016 without tax and installation fee. I am sure it will be around $2300 with everything included.

they said the parts are more expensive than if you get it when you first order the car and they all ship from germany

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kpalakode View Post
    By any chance, did you get the parts from Audi? and if so, how much was it?

I decided to see if Audi can replace it with the carbon fiber trim and here's their quote:

$360 each - For Center console and the big piece below A/C
    $266 - to the right of steering wheel
    $250 each - for front doors
    $260 each - for rear doors

so overall - $2016 without tax and installation fee. I am sure it will be around $2300 with everything included.

they said the parts are more expensive than if you get it when you first order the car and they all ship from germany

Yes unfortunately those prices are correct. I bought all oem pieces, I got the piece by the shifter from a fellow member and the center dash piece from the dealership. I have since found the pieces at another audi dealership about 25-30% cheaper from those above prices. Right now I have the center and entire dashboard in oem CF and have the brushed pieces on the doors which I haven't switched out yet, I actually like the look of both and might leave the way it is.
    2018 S4 Glacier white, ED springs, RS4 grille.