Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Overheated a bit now no AC

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So apparently the fuse in my EFK was blown and the fan stopped running the other day (90ish degrees). I didnít notice until the dummy light came on at which point I hit the Econ button for the HVAC.

I replaced the fuse and the fan now works as expected, but the AC no longer works. The system is charged, confirmed by being able to turn the Econ light off and via the low pressure side with a gauge. The compressor looks like a real b***h to replace, crossing my fingers.

Any other ideas regarding what it could be or what I could test.

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had this happen late last year when we had a few warm days. Replaced the relay and was good (was suggested to go to a 6-pin relay to give me high and low speed control).

Anyway, check the pre-existing electric fan behind the condenser (passenger side)--disconnect it and alligator clip it to the/a battery and see if it spins. Mine went bad 2 years ago and once it was replaced, I had a/c again.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

All 3 fans are running. Which relay did you replace?

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Only the one for the EFK. Never had any issues with other relays.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hmm, that would have been too easy I guess. Since all the fans are running Iím guessing thatís not it.

Figuring itís not the pressure switch or the system would probably default to Econ.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Had something similar happen on my old B6 S4 which was 2.7t swapped so only electric fans. They cut out one day and it got pretty hot before I noticed also. Once it cooled down everything was fine but the AC was no longer cool. The econ light would go on and off like normal. Turned out the system had enough r134 to kick on the compressor but not enough to really cool. After a r134 flush and refill it was back to ice cold.
    C5 A6 Stage 3
    MKIV Supra TT
    LX570

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Had something similar happen on my old B6 S4 which was 2.7t swapped so only electric fans. They cut out one day and it got pretty hot before I noticed also. Once it cooled down everything was fine but the AC was no longer cool. The econ light would go on and off like normal. Turned out the system had enough r134 to kick on the compressor but not enough to really cool. After a r134 flush and refill it was back to ice cold.
    Thanks for the pointer, Iíll check it out.

Senior Member Two Rings Calif_Kid's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A6 6 spd, 2000 Honda Civic hatch racecar

I had a 2001.5 S4, and the air conditioning suddenly stopped working. I scanned it, and there was a code for an air temp sensor, so I replaced the sensor, and everything then worked normally. Anyway, if you haven't scanned it, then try scanning it to see if there are any codes. - Jim

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Calif_Kid View Post
    I had a 2001.5 S4, and the air conditioning suddenly stopped working. I scanned it, and there was a code for an air temp sensor, so I replaced the sensor, and everything then worked normally. Anyway, if you haven't scanned it, then try scanning it to see if there are any codes. - Jim
    Yep, tried scanning it, no codes though.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Are you able to kick the compressor on by jumping the green wire?

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kid View Post
    Are you able to kick the compressor on by jumping the green wire?
    The clutch seems to engage normally.

I checked the low pressure side again today and with the vehicle running it was spiked to high on the refill gauge.

Established Member Two Rings Grainreaper's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do you have a set of pressure gauges you can hook up? Pressure readings and needle reactions can tell a lot about the general health of the system as well as help point to a problem area

Established Member Two Rings Grainreaper's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Also has there ever been any sealant added to the AC system? That crap causes endless problems.... just had a car with a leaking o-ring, customer added a can of refrigerant with sealant in it (came with a filler hose to put it in) we had to replace the entire AC system due to contamination, the evaporator was partly plugged, the expansion valve was gummed up, the receiver dryer was largely blocked, the compressor swash plate was stuck, and his o-ring was still leaking.. couple thousand dollars later and he had great AC again had it been brought to us in the first place he would have needed a $1.29 o-ring and an hour labor to replace it and recharge the system.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Are you using the all-in-one cans from the parts store, or actual a/c gauges? Those cans don't put out enough pressure to get your system where it should be. The only way to get the system to the correct capacity, is to pull vacuum on the system, and let it pull in freon. I bought everything on Amazon, and it worked like a charm.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The only pressure gauge that I have on hand is a low side reading from a refill kit. I have never charged the ac in the 4 years Iíve had the car and itís always been ice cold.

When I hook up the low side gauge (from an old refill kit) it reads into the red/high pressure area when on and running. I have no idea what this reading was previously since Iíve never had a reason to put the gauge on the car.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So I think I must have cooked the compressor bearing or clutch.

I got a chance to watch it closely today and it seemed to be acting as it is supposed to, but then the clutch started slipping and it seems like there is bearing grease oozing out of the front.

Is swapping the compressor as bad a job as it appears to be? Iím planning on doing the timing belt (and maybe some k04ís) before the summer is over. Should I just wait and to the compressor then too?

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by beardman View Post
    So I think I must have cooked the compressor bearing or clutch.

I got a chance to watch it closely today and it seemed to be acting as it is supposed to, but then the clutch started slipping and it seems like there is bearing grease oozing out of the front.

Is swapping the compressor as bad a job as it appears to be? Iím planning on doing the timing belt (and maybe some k04ís) before the summer is over. Should I just wait and to the compressor then too?

I had to put mine in service position, remove the sway bar and driver's side mount, and all the coller tubing. Even then, it will only come out one way. Patience is key...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kid View Post
    I had to put mine in service position, remove the sway bar and driver's side mount, and all the coller tubing. Even then, it will only come out one way. Patience is key...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Audizine mobile app
    Thanks, and thanks for the deal on the replacement. Think Iíll just find a shorter belt for now to bypass the ac. Just gotta figure out what size, I already have an EFK so itíd just go alternator, main drive, power steering, tensioner.

If anyone knows what belt that is, I would really appreciate it.