Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

B9 S4 incorrect oil - 10k scheduled maintenance

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey all,

As anyone who owns an S4 should know, the engine oil for the B9 S4 3.0T is very unique. This is a B-cycle equipped engine car and therefore it requires 7.7 quarts (7.25 liters) of 0W-20 such as Castrol Edge Professional lV as seen in the below link. Knowing this, I specifically told the service manager at my local dealership that it required this weight and not the previous S4's type of oil and that it is died green to distinguish itself from others. He assured me that the correct oil would be used but sure enough, after looking at the copy of work performed, the oil listed was 77 G-052-167-S0 and oil filter 06M-198-405-F. Some basic research would say that G-052-167-S0 oil is Castrol bulk oil but 5w-40 but it is hard to confirm as most of the Audi/VW online stores say that it is no longer available.

Can anyone provided and insight into this or if they have had a similar situation take place with them, I would love to hear about it. It could be that they reference an older oil part number but use the correct one however I don't want to take the chance of not knowing and pay the consequences down the line.

Volkswagen/Audi Group 508 00 / 509 00 certified
    https://www.europaparts.com/oil-chan...s5-sq5-b9.html
    Last edited by jgtripleog; 05-30-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Appears that this has been already addressed in the following link however i'm still curious about the listed part number before I go barking at the service rep.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...2931481/page3/

Established Member Two Rings Lanorg's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1997 1.9 TDI Jeep TJ
    Items for Sale

2 cents: Can always do an engine oil analysis from blackstone to know precisely what is in there. Takes a couple weeks tho!
    B5

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Lanorg View Post
    2 cents: Can always do an engine oil analysis from blackstone to know precisely what is in there. Takes a couple weeks tho!
    I plan on sending a sample of my oil into Wix at the 4000 mile mark to check how much wear metals are in there and to see how the TBN is holding up. Not sure I want to wait 10K miles for the first oil change but with the amount of miles the wife does I think well hit the year mark at 7500 miles. I've sent in oil for UOA in the past for her old S3. At 6k miles the TBN of Castrol 0w40 was at 4.8. I believe it starts around 11 so it may have been good to 10k but I felt confident doing changes at 7500.

Hoping that after my first included oil change, oil that carries the VW 508 will be readily available. Its like unicorn blood now.