Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings AudiFamilyGuy06's Avatar
    AZ Member #

NEED Help with Spacers!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    This might be painfully obvious to some but apparently I am having a mental block on how the fitment works.

I bought 12 mm spacers with the 57.1 mm center and they have the raised collar that is 57.1 also. Installed the spacer between the wheel with a hub centric ring on the outside of the spacer to the wheel which has a 66.67 mm hub center. I have managed to break the collars off of the rear spacers!! They started to vibrate badly! The fronts I have not taken off yet because I know I need the spacers to even run the wheels so at this point I have to leave them on the car and deal with a bit of vibration until I can get this sorted out.

I really only need 5 mm spacer to clear the front calipers ('07 S8), but these spacers do not have a raised collar.

I need someone to fill me in on exactly what kind of spacers/hubcentric rings I need in order to get 5 mm of clearance and no vibration! And in what order do they get installed?

HELP!

Regards, Joe

Veteran Member Four Rings MacFady's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    330i ZHP

Some people will say at 5mm you don't even need them to be hubcentric (like you said, without the collar) or need extended lugs, but personally I've always gone with both at any size of spacer.

Just so I'm clear you have installed a 66.67 to 57.1 hubcentric ring on the spacer and/or in the wheel bore and when you took off the wheel the 57.1 hubcentric lip on the spacer had broke off? What brand were they and did you use extended lugs? I've not heard of that happening before personally, I could only guess cheap spacers and/or improperly torqued wheels. When I've installed both on a car I usually mount the spacer on the hub, put the hubcentric ring in the wheel, then mount the wheel as usual.

Alternatively you could have gotten a 66.67mm spacer and mounted the ring on the hub and the spacer on the ring but I understand why you went the way you did.

AZ Member #

I am trying to put wheels with 66.67 MM hub holes on my S8 with 57.1 hubs.

I need a min of 5 MM in the front. I don't need spacers in the back, but for consistency and tracking would like to put whatever I put in the front to be in the back.

I bought 12 MM spacers that were 57.1 on the inside and 57.1 collar. Put the hub centric ring in the wheel they reduces 66.67 to 57.1 to fit on collar part of spacer. Broke at least two (both rear collars). Haven't taken the from apart yet, but I assume they will be broken as well. This I know because of the vibration I experienced and the sound that came from the rear after driving them. Yes all lug bolts were tightened to 95 ft lbs.

My question is do I need to buy 66.67 collared spacers and place the hub centric adapter behind the spacer instead of in the wheel?

If that still isn't clear please ask me again and I will take pics.

BTW I used the delrin plastic adapters from ECS.

Thanks, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
    Some people will say at 5mm you don't even need them to be hubcentric (like you said, without the collar) or need extended lugs, but personally I've always gone with both at any size of spacer.

Just so I'm clear you have installed a 66.67 to 57.1 hubcentric ring on the spacer and/or in the wheel bore and when you took off the wheel the 57.1 hubcentric lip on the spacer had broke off? What brand were they and did you use extended lugs? I've not heard of that happening before personally, I could only guess cheap spacers and/or improperly torqued wheels. When I've installed both on a car I usually mount the spacer on the hub, put the hubcentric ring in the wheel, then mount the wheel as usual.

Alternatively you could have gotten a 66.67mm spacer and mounted the ring on the hub and the spacer on the ring but I understand why you went the way you did.

Veteran Member Four Rings MacFady's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    330i ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by AudiFamilyGuy06 View Post
    My question is do I need to buy 66.67 collared spacers and place the hub centric adapter behind the spacer instead of in the wheel?
    I've never heard that you can't use a hub centric ring on the spacer. Like I said above, I understand why you went with the 57.1 spacer, then you can use it for other applications versus the alternative.

Either way, these will eliminate the need for hubcentric rings and will allow you to run the 66.7 wheels.

AZ Member #

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
    I've never heard that you can't use a hub centric ring on the spacer. Like I said above, I understand why you went with the 57.1 spacer, then you can use it for other applications versus the alternative.

Either way, these will eliminate the need for hubcentric rings and will allow you to run the 66.7 wheels.