Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings Robdukes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    302034
    Location
    PA

    Dash Light after hard braking.

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Sorry if this is something that is a common knowledge problem. I tried a few searches and couldn't find the same symptoms described. So here goes.

    I was driving spirited on one of my favorite roads. It's a winding downhill with rises and falls going down a small mountain.
    There is a stop sign at the bottom after a long right. Approaching the right I see a car ahead of me. I judged it's speed as it was slowing down for the inevitable stop and scrubbed off some of mine to match their's. As you do. But then this wonderful individual stayed on the brake and really put their foot into it. Coming to almost a stop. I was caught off guard as the stop sign is still quite a ways off. A good 200 feet still. So I was forced to step on my brake really hard. I stopped well in time but something happened to my brakes. The pedal feel was now much higher and my brake light on and yellow dash light for brake pads on.

    So the car still stops and in fact the pedal is higher. But dash lights are on. I thought maybe It overheated something, or maybe a chunk of pad came off. But I wasn't using the brake more than average even though it's down a mountain. I was driving quick so I was on the right pedal for most of the drive, not the left.

    I get another mile down the road to my destination and take a look. Pads look fine and look to have plenty of life from the outside. After turning the car off and letting it sit for 10 minutes the pedal feel went back to normal, but the lights are still on.

    I'm going to pull the front rims later for a closer inspection and possibly try a soft reset. But what do you guys think? Is this something anyone else has experienced. I've read pedal loses feel and brake light comes on, but didn't see any posts about more feel.

    Thanks
    Last edited by Robdukes; 05-23-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention. B8 S4 with stock rotors and pads to my knowledge.

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings Robdukes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    302034
    Location
    PA

    So after pulling the rim it looks like the inside pads are super low compared to the outside. I guess its a good lesson to never trust your outside pad alone when checking your brakes. I'm going to replace front rotors and pads and hopefully that resolves the lights.

  3. #3
    Active Member Two Rings RHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2018
    AZ Member #
    414551
    Location
    Marion, il

    Quote Originally Posted by Robdukes View Post
    So after pulling the rim it looks like the inside pads are super low compared to the outside. I guess its a good lesson to never trust your outside pad alone when checking your brakes. I'm going to replace front rotors and pads and hopefully that resolves the lights.
    It sounds like you are in need of a fluid flush and caliper / hardware rebuild. I bet that hard brake session pushed the caliper a bit extra and broke it free for a second. If your inner pads are wearing abnormally faster, rebuild the caliper and hardware as it is not functioning properly. Most likely stuck pins that allow it to "float" over the rotor are stuck and giving you inner pad push, instead of both pads squeezing. Good thing you are replacing rotors too, I bet the inside is toast. Number 1 cause of brake failure in my area is rust, (we salt our roads here) I'm pretty sure they use pink Himalayan rock salt with a dash of McDonald's fry salt.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings Robdukes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    302034
    Location
    PA

    Thanks for the advice Hawk. I have a flush kit from ECS, going to flush it when I replace rotors and brakes. Ordering today. But I wasn't considering a rebuild kit for the calipers. I'll have to look into that as well.

  5. #5
    Active Member Two Rings RHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2018
    AZ Member #
    414551
    Location
    Marion, il

    Quote Originally Posted by Robdukes View Post
    Thanks for the advice Hawk. I have a flush kit from ECS, going to flush it when I replace rotors and brakes. Ordering today. But I wasn't considering a rebuild kit for the calipers. I'll have to look into that as well.
    It's somewhat over looked, caliper guides, pins, slides, what ever name you want to call them (I've heard many names) often get missed because it's not a part you see as a wear item. However, over time, and with salt, heat, rain, these parts start to rust and seize. You may notice after cleaning them or replacing them your braking will be much better. It sounds like its too late for the pads and rotors, but this should help get better braking and more mileage out of your brakes for the future. And as always, caliper grease is your best friend. I don't recommend the little packets you see at most auto parts stores, get the jar that comes with a handy little brush built in. I'm about to do pads and rotors on mine, when I do, I will toss some pics in for others. maybe this thread will help more people in the future.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app

  6. #6
    Established Member Two Rings Robdukes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11 2014
    AZ Member #
    302034
    Location
    PA

    Quote Originally Posted by RHawk View Post
    It's somewhat over looked, caliper guides, pins, slides, what ever name you want to call them (I've heard many names) often get missed because it's not a part you see as a wear item. However, over time, and with salt, heat, rain, these parts start to rust and seize. You may notice after cleaning them or replacing them your braking will be much better. It sounds like its too late for the pads and rotors, but this should help get better braking and more mileage out of your brakes for the future. And as always, caliper grease is your best friend. I don't recommend the little packets you see at most auto parts stores, get the jar that comes with a handy little brush built in. I'm about to do pads and rotors on mine, when I do, I will toss some pics in for others. maybe this thread will help more people in the future.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app
    Awesome advice.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by RHawk View Post
    ..........maybe this thread will help more people in the future.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app
    xlent post, RHawk

    i will add that i used to, for many years, use the copper aniti-seize to lube floating cals....
    ...but even it will harden & cake up over time.....

    .....now i use Wurth SBS Brake Treatment Spray II...
    ...best stuff i have ever come across in 45 years....
    Bill

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0t coupe
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
    Avatar Chart

  8. #8
    Active Member Two Rings RHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2018
    AZ Member #
    414551
    Location
    Marion, il

    Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    xlent post, RHawk

    i will add that i used to, for many years, use the copper aniti-seize to lube floating cals....
    ...but even it will harden & cake up over time.....

    .....now i use Wurth SBS Brake Treatment Spray II...
    ...best stuff i have ever come across in 45 years....
    Thank you, wurth makes some great products. My favorite product is the opti clear butt connectors. Also love their dielectric grease, absolutely superior!

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.