Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings arankaspar1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Should I use additive cleaners to keep the FSI valves clean?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,
    I've heard that FSI valves get dirty over time and the only way to clean them is to pull them all out.

I've currently got 94,000 miles and occasionally hit 18PSI with my K04.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with regular proactive valve cleaning fuel additives and if so what do you recommended?

Have also read here... something to the effect of the engine being designed to clean itself and there being a sweet-spot to engaging or optimizing this by holding rpm just above 3K for about 15min a week.

I've used seafoam which only on my 25y/o integra because it was dirty and it did help me pass smog.

Also don't know if they make special cleaner for fuel stratified engines.

Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

the fsi engine is direct fuel injection.
    iow, the fuel injector is in the combustion chamber, not up-stream in front of the intake valves.
    fuel additives will have V little, if any effect on the intake valves because fuel never goes past the intake valve.
    Billy

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

Established Member Two Rings arankaspar1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    the fsi engine is direct fuel injection.
    iow, the fuel injector is in the combustion chamber, not up-stream in front of the intake valves.
    fuel additives will have V little, if any effect on the intake valves because fuel never goes past the intake valve.
    I'm mainly concerned about the carbon build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member One Ring socom458's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think you misunderstood the response. Direct injection means the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder s, which means the fuel never passes over the intake valves. Therefore, any additive put in the fuel tank will never pass over the valves, and cannot remove carbon on the valves. Gas tank additive could, potentially help clean a clogged injector, this is debateable. Make sense?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Audizine mobile app
    Central Ohio
    2010 Audi A5 2.0

Established Member Two Rings ROH ECHT's Avatar
    AZ Member #

OP...additives will only help injectors. What you've heard about intake valves getting dirty, in reality it's carbon build-up, will need to be cleaned doing one of two things; 1) remove the intake manifold and manually scrape off the carbon or have the valves media blasted...or 2) do a fuel and solvent blow-by.

I always bore-scope to inspect the condition before doing the blow-by. I use 4 parts fuel to 1 part mineral spirits when needed. I have a diy vid on U2B with links in the description to before and after bore-scope pics showing that the majority is removed with this method; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHF-Jdw0eto
    K04 PLAY...`07 GTI/DM K04+ Tunning/APR HPFP&S3 INJ./S3&FORGE FMIC's/TECHTONICS TB/BSH PCV/AWE DV/NSP BOOST GAUGE/BSH MOUNT's/NEUSPEED INTAKE&THROTTLE BODY/GIAC DSG tune/ECS ST3 BBK/ECS REAR DISCS (D&S), SB LINES/H&R SS SPRINGS, 24mm RSB&FSB/ TSW 18X8 NURBURGRING's>1/4 mile: 12.82 @ 112 mph...ZOOM DIS!