Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings drewgold's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1981 Kawasaki KZ440 and too many bikes and skis!

How much is too much to spend on paint work for our aging cars?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Looking for opinions on having some body work done on my car, I feel like the B7's are getting to that age where its a toss-up on whether or not it's worth it to sink money into fixing paint issues or just live with them and manage things as well as possible with spot repairs.

Generally my car is in good shape however there are a few paint issues that bother and concern me. My rear bumper was used as a parking feeler by the previous owner, no really serious damage but lots of scuffs and dings. I have found a perfect used bumper that doesn't need any repair so it would be an easy re-spray to be good as new.

In the last year some rust has showed up on the inside of my front fenders behind the wheels. This is only going to get worse if not addressed.

My passenger door was dinged last year by someone opening their door into me and a nickel size paint chip flaked off. There are also a few very small pinhole rust spots that I have noticed starting on the same door, again, only going to get worse, so debating having all rust removed and the entire door resprayed.

I have a good connection at a body shop that is an approved Audi/Porsche shop so it'll be quality work. They have quoted me $1400 to repaint the new rear bumper, repair rust and repaint both front fenders as well as repair/repaint the passenger door. They said that normally this would be about $2100 worth of work at their regular rate.

It's a lot of cash to sink into paint work, but hoping to have this car for a good long while still. Really on the fence as to whether it's worth it or not though.

Thoughts? I'd appreciate any feedback others may have!

My beauty in all her glory:

2006 A4 Avant, 2.0TQM - JHM Stg 1 Tune - Unitronic HFC/3" Downpipe - 034 Street Motor/Trans Mounts - APR Snub Mount - S4 RSB - 034 Turbo Inlet Hose - JHM Short Shifter - Brembo Q5 Front Brakes w/ceramic pads - S4 Rear Brakes - Stock Sport Suspension - Black Alcantara Recaro Interior - Summer: 19" OEM S5 wheels, 19x8.5 ET32 w/ Conti DW tires - Winter: OEM 18" USP wheels, 18x8 ET43 w/ Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded tires - Dolphin Grey FTW!

Established Member Three Rings funkypterodacty's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Was thinking "depends on how long you plan to keep that car" half way through, then you answered your own question. That repair quote sounds very reasonable imo.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Iíll second the reasonable price! Even for CAD, itís a good deal. Quality paint is expensive and so is the price for quality labor (worth more than good paint).
    2005.5 A4 Avant

99.5 1.8TQM; Maestro, A8 MAF, 630cc, GTX2867R, Scat Rods, IE 70mm IM, VR6 TB, P&P head w/ supertech v/s/r, IECVA3 intake cam, 034 ICM delete/FSI coil conversion, ECS RA4 Stage 2 clutch/19 lb lwfw, Treadstone TR18T FMIC, Bosch 040, JHM short shifter w/ 2"extension and solid linkage, KW V2s, 034 RSB & adjustable links. RIP
    Build Thread

AZ Member #

Worth it. Your car is gorgeous. Keep her happy and she'll keep you happy.
    2006 A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro 6MT

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

That's a good price. It cost me $1200 a couple years ago to have my front bumper and hood painted and blending them into the fenders. It was fantastic work; just sad car was totaled 7 months later.

So $2100 sounds like a realistic number.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - stock
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Thatís the sad part. Who knows what could happen? The car could be totaled the next day or it could last 10 more years.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4 Quattro, 2006 A4 Quattro

That is a fair price. I am planning to blend my front fenders, hood, front spoiler and rear quarters as soon as the weather stays constantly warm. A few knicks and dings...some paint peel around the fender lips as per normal wear and tear. No point trying Audi for warranty paint coverage, I don't need that aggrivation. ;)

I figure that a new A4 would cost almost $8400 per year in payments...so $1500 per year on maintenance goodies is pretty cheap driving.

Post up pics when done of course!

Senior Member Three Rings supple's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    I don't have a garage

That doesn't sound too bad, I'm in the same boat. Just started getting rust under my front wheel fenders and a bunch of rock chips on a 10+ car.
    2007 Brilliant Black A4 Quattro | Unitronic Stage 1+ | Bilstein Sport + H&R Sport | Apikol Snub | GFB DV+ | 034 Turbo Inlet, Street Density Motor Mounts, RSB & End Links, Upper/Lower Control Arms | Pipercross Filter

Senior Member Three Rings jhoward's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That's a good price, and it's an avant. Do it if you're going to keep it

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Much appreciated.

Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't out to lunch on considering sinking some money into body work.

Also considering going for full hood and fender 3M clear paint protection film. Hopefully that will help protect the investment, not cheap either though.
    2006 A4 Avant, 2.0TQM - JHM Stg 1 Tune - Unitronic HFC/3" Downpipe - 034 Street Motor/Trans Mounts - APR Snub Mount - S4 RSB - 034 Turbo Inlet Hose - JHM Short Shifter - Brembo Q5 Front Brakes w/ceramic pads - S4 Rear Brakes - Stock Sport Suspension - Black Alcantara Recaro Interior - Summer: 19" OEM S5 wheels, 19x8.5 ET32 w/ Conti DW tires - Winter: OEM 18" USP wheels, 18x8 ET43 w/ Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded tires - Dolphin Grey FTW!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Do it but if your fender has rust, it may be better to just buy new fenders. You can buy them from Audi or go aftermarket. Rockauto has them for around $70. I bought them, still need to paint and install them so I canít comment on their fitting.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AudiKilla View Post
    Do it but if your fender has rust, it may be better to just buy new fenders. You can buy them from Audi or go aftermarket. Rockauto has them for around $70. I bought them, still need to paint and install them so I canít comment on their fitting.
    I had thought about new fenders. Not sure that the aftermarket offerings will be good quality metal though and resistant to more rust. OEM audi I assume are galvanized, I suspect a lot of aftermarket fenders are not.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Have to bodyman look at your fenders first...they are likely just peeling like mine. A proper sand to bare metal and epoxy primer will fix that up. He can blend them easy, or simply do the whole panel. If the rust is through and through RE: holes in the metal, then I'd go for a new set or a good used set of fenders. (check Arizona Craig's list...lots of zero-rust cars there...plus you're in BC...should be minimal rust out there too.) You might even find some brilliant blacks that don't need painted = win, win.

I love the black...easy to blend a repair.

Veteran Member Three Rings oaybar007's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
    That's a good price. It cost me $1200 a couple years ago to have my front bumper and hood painted and blending them into the fenders. It was fantastic work; just sad car was totaled 7 months later.

So $2100 sounds like a realistic number.
    Do you mind if I ask you where you had work done? I'm trying to decide how far to go with paint work on my b6 and in the same state!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
    Have to bodyman look at your fenders first...they are likely just peeling like mine. A proper sand to bare metal and epoxy primer will fix that up. He can blend them easy, or simply do the whole panel. If the rust is through and through RE: holes in the metal, then I'd go for a new set or a good used set of fenders. (check Arizona Craig's list...lots of zero-rust cars there...plus you're in BC...should be minimal rust out there too.) You might even find some brilliant blacks that don't need painted = win, win.

I love the black...easy to blend a repair.
    Thanks! I'm actually Dolphin Grey which is a pain in the ass to match. ;)

No holes through the panels, just paint flaking and minor surface rust on the inner edge of the fender. Sure it can just be stripped and refinished.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

FWIW, I just paid $1100 to get a doorblade painted and two big dents and scrapes repaired on my rear fenders. This was at the same time the car was in the shop getting a new rear bumper from insurance due to an accident.

This is a very personal question though. I, personally, love my car and donít see myself selling it for a long long time. The cost to keep it looking nice and running well really doesnít matter to me. Itís also rust free though so if the car had rust that would absolutely alter my longer term plans.

In the next few years I eventually plan on replacing the front bumper and getting the hood bumper and fenders resprayed as well as some rock damage repaired on the roof.

Itís worth it to me to do this because Iím not too concerned about resale or the ďvalueĒ of the car when making repairs. I love the car and Iím going to keep it running until itís so tired that itís falling apart.

Or until I fall into some serious money, then Iím buying a b8 avant and 3.0t 6mt swapping it. But even then Iíd miss this stupid b7.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Senior Member Three Rings tloft4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

why do avants rust so much more than sedans?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

That's because Avant drivers be crazy! Right Charles? lol

Seriously though, these cars are built like tanks. I think it depends on a bit of luck honestly - normal wear and tear like the OPs fenders is how it is for 10 year old cars. If they are driven and enjoyed, then expect some repairs/maintenance to be needed.

Personally, mine are not garage queens at all. I drive them everywhere.

That dolphin grey should be a solid colour...just get the paint mixer the proper code and all should be good. I hate trying to match metallics though...yuck. Very tough...especially silver mist...or don't get me started on pearl white! lol

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Weíre a special breed, thatís for sure.

If you find a good painter they should get the match done well. The shop I just had do work matched the Black perfectly. And in the past Iíve had to have both front fenders in my b6 replaced and they matched the Light Silver perfectly. I wasnít 100% happy with the paint job on one since there was a bit of orange peel in the color coat but you couldnít tell unless you were 10Ē away so I didnít let it bother me, the color match was spot on and thatís all I really cared about.

Dolphin could be a tricky color, make sure the shop takes a color sample as the color will have faded slightly over the past 10 years. If the shop knows what theyíre doing then youíre fine. The shop I took my car to had Lamborghiniís and Maseratis our front so I knew they could do a simple 2-pack paint job no problem and they really nailed it. Much better than the single coat respray the PO had gotten on the original bumper after an unreported fender bender.

Fun picture:

This was at the body shop when I went to pickup my avant. Red leather interior and a gated manual. Sooooooo hot, want to touch the heiney!
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic