Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings snow demon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

P1176 Control Limit Reached - Lean or Rich?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    2000 1.8t manual quartto, apr stage 3 I had the gt28r machined and turbines replaced to make turbo gt28rs spec with billet wheel. Running n75 with manual boost controller to limit boost to under 18psi and control spikes and using unisettings to add fuel. Have car running rich but get P1176, I thought this was a lean code but could it also be rich? CEL actually goes off and comes back on its own about once a week, its always just the p1176. Am I not understanding this code correctly, whats the difference between "control limit reached" and "system too lean"? No boost or vacuum leaks, other than being rich car runs great.
    Thanks

Registered User Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 A4 2 liter HTA3586r

Quote Originally Posted by snow demon View Post
    2000 1.8t manual quartto, apr stage 3 I had the gt28r machined and turbines replaced to make turbo gt28rs spec with billet wheel. Running n75 with manual boost controller to limit boost to under 18psi and control spikes and using unisettings to add fuel. Have car running rich but get P1176, I thought this was a lean code but could it also be rich? CEL actually goes off and comes back on its own about once a week, its always just the p1176. Am I not understanding this code correctly, whats the difference between "control limit reached" and "system too lean"? No boost or vacuum leaks, other than being rich car runs great.
    Thanks
    P1176 is O2 Correction Behind Catalyst,B1 Limit Attained

What are the numbers on block 032 with the key on and engine off?

Why are you adding more fuel, are you still running a MAF?

Active Member Two Rings snow demon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yes I'm still running the maf and was adding fuel because running gt28rs turbo on gt28r tune and it was lean before installing the mbc. I don't have full vagcom currently for block 32 what would I be looking for with the motor off?
    Also is the code for the rear o2 sensor, rear o2 is set to not ready by the apr catless tune so why would it be making corrections? I put the fuel back to normal in unisettings and turned boost down more with the mbc and will see what happens until I have the full vagcom.

Registered User Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 A4 2 liter HTA3586r

Quote Originally Posted by snow demon View Post
    Yes I'm still running the maf and was adding fuel because running gt28rs turbo on gt28r tune and it was lean before installing the mbc. I don't have full vagcom currently for block 32 what would I be looking for with the motor off?
    Also is the code for the rear o2 sensor, rear o2 is set to not ready by the apr catless tune so why would it be making corrections? I put the fuel back to normal in unisettings and turned boost down more with the mbc and will see what happens until I have the full vagcom.

Well the 2nd 02 sensor won't be making corrections but if it is not working correctly could be why it is throwing that code, since it is the 2nd 02 it takes time to actually throw the code which is why it only comes up once a week after you have cleared the code. So this code is not effecting your tune or the fueling.

032 is the long term fuel trim adjustments for idle and part throttle, telling you if the tune is rich or lean for those 2 conditions.