Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Exhaust setup question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys so I'm looking into getting an exhaust and i need an advice on something that only gets loud when you step on it. I leave early in the morning and don't want to piss my neighbors off everyday on cold starts. I also dont want it to be loud while cruising. I'm thinking maybe just switching the mufflers? Another note is since my car is up there with the miles and in case the cats go i will have to go with catless test pipes. 2013 dsg

Established Member Two Rings BlackJon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Awe touring exhaust system 👍🏾

Drive it like you stole it 😎

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Stasis v2 full setup is quiet from my experience. Would say its oem+ sound level I had zero drone at cruise or anywhere really. Its discontinued because shitty ran company but they pop up for sale from time to time

Ecs or similar xpipe is another option but no personal experience
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Awe touring is to loud from what you say you want I do have little to no drone with it tho.
    For the price id go with that eBay Becker brand exhaust and save 800.
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

Established Member Two Rings AlaskanAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    No garage at the moment

I'd recommend the ECS x-pipe, you definitely don't hear it during idle, but it gets louder as you step on it. Also no drone on the highway, and cheap compared to $1200 full exhaust options.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

For those that recommend the x pipe i read somewhere that the sound quality wont be too great. Any personal experience?

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 S4, 14 328d, 14 MDX

Get a resonated milltek system if you are already considering test pipes as an option in case of cat failure.

Whatever you do, get a touring/resonated exhaust. With the age of the platform Id probably just throw up a want to buy thread in the classifieds and see what semi local deals come your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Forester XT, lawn mower

Quote Originally Posted by sagula96pl View Post
    For those that recommend the x pipe i read somewhere that the sound quality wont be too great. Any personal experience?
    You probably heard this from AWE fanboys.... xpipe with new mufflers will sound great!

Sent from my SM-G930VC using Tapatalk
    2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 1, 034 SC pulley, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge

Senior Member Three Rings Rodizzle's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sagula96pl View Post
    As a owner of awe touring exhaust , what he said ^ . Save your 1800 and get ur self an x-pipe .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Anyone have done an electronic cutout on each downpipe? Does it sound any good?

Established Member Three Rings brs2c's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You need a valved system, if you have the disposable income for one.
    2013 S4, Monsoon Grey, DSG, B&O, Sport Diff, Nappa || Custom 3.5" Velocity Stack Intake, EPL Stage 2+, Fluidampr 183mm CP, EPL TCU, AMS Alpha Cooler || VMR V804's (19x9.5 et45), ECS 2-piece Rotors, Stainless Lines, 034 SB, 034 inserts.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The AWE touring with their reasonated downpipes might be a great system for you. It's a bit more quiet than the touring with OEM downpipes. I've also heard decent things about the Becker system.

AZ Member #

heard from many people that while the AWE touring doesn't drone, it is nowhere near subtle, or quiet. My Biggest issues with exhausts for this platform..too loud, and too costly.

Active Member Two Rings nowakm99's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi S4, 2012 Cayman S

Quote Originally Posted by mercedesinfarct View Post
    heard from many people that while the AWE touring doesn't drone, it is nowhere near subtle, or quiet. My Biggest issues with exhausts for this platform..too loud, and too costly.
    I have the AWE touring on a 2016 with stock down pipes and it definitely drones under load between 2500-3000 rpm. Aside from that it is quite civilized when cruising on the highway.

For OPs situation, I would not recommend it as the cold starts are quite loud as well.

Overall a great system but it costs about twice as much as it should.
    2016 S4: CR-15, Vorsteiner V-FF 103s in Machined Titatinum, AWE Touring Exhaust

Senior Member Three Rings dlo93's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 Audi a4 1.8t, 2012 Volkswagen GTI

AWE non res down pipes paired with the AWE touring cat back is best IMO
    2014 phantom black s4//20% tints//Carbon imports low kick spoiler//APR Stage 2+ dual pulley ECU and TCU//APR CPS//Roc-Euro Intake//AWE touring with non-res downpipes//

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobbington View Post
    You probably heard this from AWE fanboys.... xpipe with new mufflers will sound great!

What mufflers have you heard/recommend for this type of setup? My x-pipe just got delivered today, I'm looking to do the mufflers next.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TTreef View Post
    What mufflers have you heard/recommend for this type of setup? My x-pipe just got delivered today, I'm looking to do the mufflers next.
    To be honest, I have no mufflers at all, but my setup is probably too loud for the average guy. I'd probably go with borla mufflers if I ever added any.

2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 1, 034 SC pulley, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1984 Audi 4000S Quattro, 1989 Toyota MR2 SC, 1960 Alfa Spider

leave it stock and just do an intake.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by onlyaudis View Post
    leave it stock and just do an intake.
    Lol, then you really won't be able to hear the exhaust

AZ Member #

don't get an exhaust. Radical, I know. Look, we all have the itch, but if you want a quiet, classy car, leave your exhaust stock, and just polish your tips. The car really isn't quiet. Even with the soundaktor off, and an AWE intake, in sport mode there's plenty of sound. Save the money.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 S4, 14 328d, 14 MDX

^ I think Id have to agree. Any and all exhaust mods take the car away from the luxury side and towards the sporty side. As if it were a spectrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings KRp220's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dlo93 View Post
    AWE non res down pipes paired with the AWE touring cat back is best IMO
    i think you need to reread the OP LOL

touring with RES DPs would be a better suggestion for what he's looking for since he's looking for something that is pretty mild
    CURRENT 2013 S4 // ESTORIL BLUE // 6MT // RS BUMPER // GIAC STG 2+ 3.2 PR // FORGE CC // AWE TOURING // ROC EURO // KW HAS // BC FORGED HCA381-F // PSS 265/30/20 // AK // 034 MOUNTS // SB STAGE 3 CLUTCH // CR 15
    + tints, sports diff, j-codes, Akebono pads, SS clutch line...
    GONE 2010 S4 // QUARTZ GREY // 6MT // GIAC STG2 // AWE TRACK // ROC EURO // 034 TRANS MOUNT // H&R OE's // AG M610 FF 19x8.5 // + random stuff

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I put the x pipe in a few weeks ago. IMO it's great. I wanted some bark but not to be loud. It's perfect for whats described. Loud but not to loud. It could be OEM but its definitely there. No drone what so ever, and once you get on it or if you drive in dynamic it's there when you want it. Fit is great, just line it up and cut. For $250 it has provided a lot of permanent grins.