Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Intake/Air Filter question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I recently cleaned the air filter on my apr intake, and I used a brush to clean off some of the lodged stuff. I noticed after I cleaned it, some of the “cotton gause” was missing in different areas. Not dramatically but enough to be noticeable. I recharged the filter after cleaning it but I’m concerned whether or not dirt can still get into the engine. To be on the safe side I ordered the replacement filter but not sure if I should drive the car until I get the new filter. Thoughts anyone??

Senior Member Three Rings INYAUDI's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You’ll be fine I’d say. If it makes you feel better you could put medical gauze over those questionable areas like a band aid; pun intended but serious lol
    ZERO FÜCHS DRIVEN

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

post some pics of how bad it is, but for the cost of the filter, I'd personally just replace it. 40bux for piece of mind.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by will13k7 View Post
    post some pics of how bad it is, but for the cost of the filter, I'd personally just replace it. 40bux for piece of mind.
    He did already, he was asking for the meantime because daily OP what did you use to clean it, will be cleaning my $80 KN and will be sure not to do what you did lol
    ZERO FÜCHS DRIVEN

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Lol, missed that last sentence.

Established Member Two Rings Why-man5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by INYAUDI View Post
    He did already, he was asking for the meantime because daily OP what did you use to clean it, will be cleaning my $80 KN and will be sure not to do what you did lol
    According to his post he used a brush...which is not necessary or something I’d recommend... use the k&n cleaner (or other suitable / simliar cleaner) and spray filter liberally with it (let it sit for a bit). Then use water and spray from the inside out.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Why-man5 View Post
    According to his post he used a brush...which is not necessary or something I’d recommend... use the k&n cleaner (or other suitable / simliar cleaner) and spray filter liberally with it (let it sit for a bit). Then use water and spray from the inside out.
    Well specifically meant what kind of brush.. Like I’d use a soft toothbrush and do one directional strokes. I the have kn cleaner and I don’t see it getting anything caked in a deep crevice. Some people like to be thorough even if it’s unnecessary
    ZERO FÜCHS DRIVEN

Established Member Three Rings BozMan-S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cadillac STS- V Series

Do you all see any negative effects from the oiled filter? I’ve been running ECS oiled and I’ve had to clean the intake, Tb and sensor. I didn’t know why the car seemed boggy, once I cleaned everything (again 1 month later after the intake install) my car performance returned. I bought a hiflow dry filter to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2011 Audi S4 Meteor Gray Pearl, Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sways/Endlinks/Inserts, ECS Carbon Fiber Intake, 57mm Pulley, EPL Stg 2 ECU/TCU, AMS Alpha Cooler, ECS Street/Trans Shield, ECS Control Arm Brace, Milltek Non-Res Black Oval

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BozMan-S4 View Post
    Do you all see any negative effects from the oiled filter? I’ve been running ECS oiled and I’ve had to clean the intake, Tb and sensor. I didn’t know why the car seemed boggy, once I cleaned everything (again 1 month later after the intake install) my car performance returned. I bought a hiflow dry filter to see if it makes a difference.

This is on an S4 I’m assuming? Our 3s dont have a sensor, goes straight into the turbo hah. The oil would be less than what the pvc passes so I haven’t noticed anything but gains
    ZERO FÜCHS DRIVEN

Established Member Three Rings BozMan-S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cadillac STS- V Series

Quote Originally Posted by INYAUDI View Post
    This is on an S4 I’m assuming? Our 3s dont have a sensor, goes straight into the turbo hah. The oil would be less than what the pvc passes so I haven’t noticed anything but gains
    I do this all the time...wrong model thread. I get interested in the topic and don’t think to verify it’s B8 s4 related lol. I suppose you wouldn’t have this problem..

2011 Audi S4 Meteor Gray Pearl, Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sways/Endlinks/Inserts, ECS Carbon Fiber Intake, 57mm Pulley, EPL Stg 2 ECU/TCU, AMS Alpha Cooler, ECS Street/Trans Shield, ECS Control Arm Brace, Milltek Non-Res Black Oval

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BozMan-S4 View Post
    I do this all the time...wrong model thread. I get interested in the topic and don’t think to verify it’s B8 s4 related lol. I suppose you wouldn’t have this problem..

Been there lol. But yeah maf sensors are pretty sensitive, oiled filters are a bit better at trapping debris smaller than a grain of sand otherwise no gain and more maintenance.
    ZERO FÜCHS DRIVEN