Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

HELP Car threw 24 codes at once!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Looking for a bit of insight before I take it to the dealer, so here it goes....

2009 A4 B8 Quattro Sport Package 115k miles.

Commuting this morning while accelerating from red light, almost the entire dashboard lights up including ESP, ECS, even the parking brake failure? Huge loss of power, engine shakes and exhaust spits black smoke. I am barely able to limp it to the nearest Firestone/Tires Plus and they run the codes.....24 in total.

They are able to clear all but one related to the fuel pressure. There system says the on-board computer is telling the engine it needs 2500 psi when apparently it needs no more than around 400. They claim this is impossible and something they never seen before. They say it would explain the misfires and smoke as the engine is being dump with fuel. They recommend not driving it (it is barely driveable at this point) and get it towed to the dealer to check the computer etc.

Will be taking it in tomorrow, any thoughts on what has happened? I like to go into the dealership with as much information/knowledge as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Fuel pressure is the least of your problems, and it is definitely in the thousands of psi, the LPFP should give somewhere in the 40's to 50's

Seems like your timing slipped since you have a 2009. Don't try to start the car until a mechanic can tear the covers off and see what shape the valvetrain is in. And for all that is holy don't go to a dealership, an independent audi/VW shop will definitely be cheaper.

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

At idle the fuel pressure should be around 550psi, at WOT you will see around 2500psi. Low side fuel pressure is probably somewhere between 45-65psi but i dont have the spec in front of me.

Established Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did they give a print out of the codes you have?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    Did they give a print out of the codes you have?
    Nah, I had to run out of there for a meeting & forgot the list, but will grab a copy tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reciprocity View Post
    Fuel pressure is the least of your problems, and it is definitely in the thousands of psi, the LPFP should give somewhere in the 40's to 50's

Seems like your timing slipped since you have a 2009. Don't try to start the car until a mechanic can tear the covers off and see what shape the valvetrain is in. And for all that is holy don't go to a dealership, an independent audi/VW shop will definitely be cheaper.
    Thanks for your response. Timing slipping is a 2009 thing?

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Flexfx View Post

Thanks for your response. Timing slipping is a 2009 thing?
    It's an Audi thing.

In all seriousness, the 2009-2011 CAEB 2.0T are very prone to timing tensioner failure, which causes the timing to jump and your pistons to crash into the valves. Usually catastrophic damage to the engine.

Actually, this class action lawsuit just got approved. So here is some ammunition for you:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Thread/page25
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    It's an Audi thing.

In all seriousness, the 2009-2011 CAEB 2.0T are very prone to timing tensioner failure, which causes the timing to jump and your pistons to crash into the valves. Usually catastrophic damage to the engine.

Actually, this class action lawsuit just got approved. So here is some ammunition for you:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Thread/page25
    Wow, wow, WOW. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

With this information, what do you guys think my best course of action if indeed it is timing chain issue and the engine is completely blown? If I get the engine replaced, should I expect similar issues in the near future? I was not in the mindset of going car shopping but it sounds like I may need to. KBB values it "working" around $7k, engine replacement cost what...$6500 or more? Other $$$ factors can play into it but what do you guys think? Any input is helpful.

Thanks again,

EDIT/ADDITION. If I am reading this right, I would not qualify since my car has over 100k miles?

"For timing chain replacements, customers will be reimbursed 100 percent of the paid dealer invoice amount for the covered part(s) and labor repairs or replacement of the timing chains at authorized Audi or Volkswagen dealers within 10 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from date the vehicles went into service."
    Last edited by Flexfx; 05-18-2018 at 07:49 AM.