Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings B6Sticks's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Valve cover gasket leaking aftwe replacement... Questions!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Valve cover gasket leaking after replacement**

I replaced my valve cover gasket and cct gasket and half moon 1,000 miles ago. I recently noticed some fresh oil at the back passenger side corner of the engine (above the cat) but I had no clue what it could be because I just replaced the only cause for it. But today after working all day and driving around I noticed a couple drips on my brand new 034 HFC! It was dripping off the Allen head bolt right below the heat shield for the turbo oil line, pcv lines, etc. After examination it's seeping oil out of that back corner and along the exhaust side a bit. I put sealant on all 4 corners as the bentley manual says. What did I do wrong? Did the gasket get pinched or not seat properly? This is the only place it's leaking, the cct gasket and half moon are bone dry! So I'm picking up a new valve cover gasket to do that tomorrow. Gonna leave the cct alone as I just did it. Even the half moon seal on the passenger side is fine! It's just the corner and side of the valve cover. I'm stumped and don't wanna replace it to have the same thing happen again. Thanks guys!

Drop a gear and disappear

Established Member Two Rings David111767's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You did add sealant in the appropriate spots, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by David111767 View Post
    You did add sealant in the appropriate spots, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes on all 4 corners, and half moon. Maybe I didn't use enough? I can see where some squeezed out a tiny bit. But maybe I didn't do enough of the gasket?

AZ Member #

Also here's a question I couldn't find the answer to and just remembered, which side of the rubber gasket do I put sealant? Between the engine head and gasket, or between the gasket and valve cover? I put it on the engine head I believe and put the gasket on top of it. And then I didn't use any between the gasket and valve cover. I'll know for sure what I did when I pull it off tomorrow

Edit: did some more digging and it's supposed to be between the head and gasket, so I did that right I think. Some people say a dab on each corner while others say a thin film around the whole thing... Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. It seems Oldguy said on a couple forums to just do the dab on each corner. I trust his advice so I might just do that and make sure everything seats properly, and torque the nuts down properly and hope for no leaks!
    Last edited by B6Sticks; 05-17-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Veteran Member Three Rings john_gonzo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A faulty PCV system can allow pressure to build up in the crankcase and valve covers. This pressure can force oil past the VC gaskets.

AZ Member #

How would I know that? The PCV valve has been replaced before. And there's definitely oil getting to the TIP to recirculate back into the intake. I have no vacuum or boost leaks, and all my check valves seem good. The pancake valve or PRV has been replaced too. So I know it's releaving pressure out of the valve cover and back into the intake

EDIT: So I took the oil cap off while idling, seems to be blowing a lot of air out of it. When I set the cap back on it "dances", there's a fluctuation of air coming out, it's not a constant blowing. So from reading other forums I found it seems this is perfectly normal and means my pcv system is good? The SJP has been replaced on the car before, and I replaced the PRV pancake valve a few thousand miles ago. And when I remove it there's always the pcv gunk before and after it so I know it's working. I just want to rule this out so I know when I do the valve cover again it's not just gonna leak again because of a pcv issue. But it seems my pcv system is good. I'll know when I replace the valve cover gasket and see if it ends up leaking again!

Last edited by B6Sticks; 05-17-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Established Member Two Rings fabric8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did you allow the sealant to partially cure with the cover in place? And then after it was partially cured tighten the nuts to spec? Then allow a full cure before running the car? That's the process I've always followed and havent had leaks using that method.
    HIS - 2016 Golf R 6MT
    HERS - 2002 B6 A4 1.8TQM Avant | Motoza Stg.1.5 | OEM A6 4.2 17" forged fat fives

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
    Did you allow the sealant to partially cure with the cover in place? And then after it was partially cured tighten the nuts to spec? Then allow a full cure before running the car? That's the process I've always followed and havent had leaks using that method.
    Dang!! I didnt! And the sealant says to not fully torque until it's set for an hour or so i believe, which I didn't do. And I let it cure for 24 hours before driving, but I think I ran the engine for a sec to make sure there's no obvious leaking. I think this may be the problem. For this time I got the permatex right stuff, where it takes a couple minutes to cue and you torque everything down immediately and can immediatly drive the car after. I saw a few people recommended it, hopefully this time I shouldn't have an issue.