Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Yamaha R1

Hood Vents on the 4.0tt?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    As soon as i started looking at these cars before i chose mine and looking at the configuration of the the turbos and how they sit in the valley, the first thing i though was wow, i'm sure it gets hotter'n shit in there. I know that some other cars like the F10 BMW's have put hood vents that don't look too crazy out of place and quite tasteful. Sure the elements are a concern, but most companies who provide these covers also have cool covers for them as well that are preatty handy to throw in the trunk. has any of you all thought about this, considered it or even done it??

Thoughts?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Veteran Member Four Rings Dasquade's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Some might find it over the top but if nicely done i'm sure it is benefitial. Love to have a vented hood....sadely only aware of one option and that is definatly over the top (come with engine window): DarwinPro

Would prefure more something like the F10
    Current S6 C7 avant 2013: estoril | ceramics | JD engineering stage 2 | LightVan no backseats | Milltek non-res valved | 034 trans-diff mount |CETE ASCv2 & EVC | FL dynamic tails & dynamic mirror signals | Thermo ZO coated catless DP | Custom HX cooler (JD) | RS6 c6 matt gunmetal 20" wheels | custom spoiler sideskirts diffuser | Maxton front lip | Armor heatshielded mani-turbo-dp | B&O led lens tweeters (replica) | Forge boost hoses
    In dev: R8GT steeringwheel | FIS mmi gauges

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Yamaha R1

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquade View Post
    Some might find it over the top but if nicely done i'm sure it is benefitial. Love to have a vented hood....sadely only aware of one option and that is definatly over the top (come with engine window): DarwinPro

Would prefure more something like the F10
    yea i wouldn't want to take away from the elegance and class of the C7, i see in the F10's they have more architecture going on on their hoods, we only have the two curves towards the front quarter panels, i might see if i can pick up a spare hood somewhere to play with. they cut like pop cans

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I don't like hood vents, but this car sure needs one in the middle, where most of the heat accumulates. That hood with a window looks ridiculous, but to each his own. And yes, it'd have to be facing to the rear. A small one would be enough. All I can do is open the hood every time I get home, to minimize the cooking when I can't do that.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cam.CL.S7 View Post
    yea i wouldn't want to take away from the elegance and class of the C7, i see in the F10's they have more architecture going on on their hoods, we only have the two curves towards the front quarter panels, i might see if i can pick up a spare hood somewhere to play with. they cut like pop cans
    In for pictures ;)...
    Current S6 C7 avant 2013: estoril | ceramics | JD engineering stage 2 | LightVan no backseats | Milltek non-res valved | 034 trans-diff mount |CETE ASCv2 & EVC | FL dynamic tails & dynamic mirror signals | Thermo ZO coated catless DP | Custom HX cooler (JD) | RS6 c6 matt gunmetal 20" wheels | custom spoiler sideskirts diffuser | Maxton front lip | Armor heatshielded mani-turbo-dp | B&O led lens tweeters (replica) | Forge boost hoses

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Ughhh really on a nice car like this? Each their own I guess but I think it will look nasty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Audi S6 C7.5 Avant 2016 Sepang Blue APR Stage 2, Custom Downpipes, Revo RS Intake, X-Pipe & Resonator Delete - 441WHP 528WTQ 551BHP 660 LB FT.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pez81 View Post
    Ughhh really on a nice car like this? Each their own I guess but I think it will look nasty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I have to agree with pez on this one. When I bought my SL65 the previous owner had some carbon fiber vents that were placed in cut outs on the hood. The vents bothered me so much I bought a new oem hood to replace it. Again, to each his or her own, but in my opinion it looks very adolescent and out of place on a luxury car.

Veteran Member Four Rings highPSI-S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C7.5 S6, 14 Jetta 1.8t, 15 ZX6R

I feel the S6 styling isn't aggressive enough to pull off hood vents functional or not. If I saw hood vents on a RS6, I'm sure it would flow well.
    C7.5 Glacier Wht | Prestige | Blk Optics | EPL STG2 | Mike's Downpipes | Becker Catback | Roc Euro | EC Diff Mount | EC F/R SB| EC Trans Mount | Airmatic Links | HRE FF04 20x9 et25| Carbon Mirrors | RS Grille | Yellow Calipers |
    Instagram: @Sinister_S6

AZ Member #

The hood with the window would look good without the vents, and painted to match the car. Exposed carbon, vents etc. is just too much.
    2012 Panamera Turbo S Basalt Black Metallic and $186,000 worth of goodies (thank you depreciation)
    (previous cars)
    2014 RS7 Phantom Black --2014 Jeep SRT--2011 CTSV -- 2006 Magnum SRT - 2004 Neon SRT -- 1999 C5 Corvette -- 1999 Trans AM WS6 -- 1991 Cougar XR7

"Love lots of cars, and one good woman"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Yamaha R1

To each their own, but i think the heat being trapped in the center of the motor is just a ticking time bomb. maybe that has something to do with our turbos failing so soon since the oil and coolant feeding these turbos is just cooking and the gaskets and o rings in there start to loose their structure. Who knows, but i do think if done properly, it would let some heat out which cant be a bad thing.

my idea is to possibly do something along the lines of this but closer to the center/rear part of the hood so that the air entering the front of the car will be pulled out of the vents behind the turbos.

vents1.jpgvents2.jpg

AZ Member #

I totally understand hood vents can be a big nono especially on sleeper luxe car as the S, but if subtile it's function could justify it imho. But again, each their own style :).

Personally i don't often drive the car, especially on long trips so the heat trapped under the hood is still okey..but doesn't take away even on my short daily trips i'm able to get my turbo's smoking red and (i would need to check my logs) get very warm temps under the hood after parking and takes long time to cool off.
    I did heatshielded my manifolds, turbo and 1/3 of my thermo coated downpipes. That kinda helped getting lower temps under the hood but still...

Anyway, during driving the temps under the hood are more or less okey (i messured). Still a lot of incomming outdoor air blows threw the engine parts and makes it out passed the downpipes out the car. It is more once you stop at the traffic signs or eventually park the heat gets trapped. One of the reasons i often just pop the hood or even open it after a wild ride...
    I did play with the idea of integrating some channels from the engine bay (top behind the engine) going out through the black plastic vertical lip after the hood where the window whipers are located....but would be hard especially to do nice.

Subtile hood vents would still be the easiest and efficients :).

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Yamaha R1

I totally understand hood vents can be a big nono especially on sleeper luxe car as the S, but if subtile it's function could justify it imho. But again, each their own style :).

Personally i don't often drive the car, especially on long trips so the heat trapped under the hood is still okey..but doesn't take away even on my short daily trips i'm able to get my turbo's smoking red and (i would need to check my logs) get very warm temps under the hood after parking and takes long time to cool off.
    I did heatshielded my manifolds, turbo and 1/3 of my thermo coated downpipes. That kinda helped getting lower temps under the hood but still...

Anyway, during driving the temps under the hood are more or less okey (i messured). Still a lot of incomming outdoor air blows threw the engine parts and makes it out passed the downpipes out the car. It is more once you stop at the traffic signs or eventually park the heat gets trapped. One of the reasons i often just pop the hood or even open it after a wild ride...
    I did play with the idea of integrating some channels from the engine bay (top behind the engine) going out through the black plastic vertical lip after the hood where the window whipers are located....but would be hard especially to do nice.

Subtile hood vents would still be the easiest and efficients :).
    I think i'm going to find a spare hood and draw on where i think i would put the vents in. Then find a professional to do the cutting and install. i've done it on lesser cars but i would puke if i tried to cut into the hood of 100K MRSP car.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Hood vents on cars like these will do very little during driving conditions where the vehicle is moving. The car is engineered to move as much air as possible through the HX and engine bay with its design as is. Adding vents to that will disrupt how air is pushed and pulled out of the bay.

On a side note, many years ago from a Ferrari or Lamborghini owner (it's been a long time ) I picked up the habit of propping open the engine bay when getting home to allow maximum cooling. Helps keep the engine bay from cooking the rubber and plastics to dry and brittle.
    C7 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2++

AZ Member #

I'll try that Audi engineers that created one of the highest hp per liter motors in the world, have designed it with enough cooling, and adding a carbon fiber hood vent is simply a tribute to Paul Walker.
    2012 Panamera Turbo S Basalt Black Metallic and $186,000 worth of goodies (thank you depreciation)
    (previous cars)
    2014 RS7 Phantom Black --2014 Jeep SRT--2011 CTSV -- 2006 Magnum SRT - 2004 Neon SRT -- 1999 C5 Corvette -- 1999 Trans AM WS6 -- 1991 Cougar XR7

"Love lots of cars, and one good woman"

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The s6 is too sedate and round for that to flow quite right.

*shrug* screw it, do something crazy and see if it works. the fact that the car's so round means you probably have to get a little aggressive with the design

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom75 View Post
    I'll try that Audi engineers that created one of the highest hp per liter motors in the world, have designed it with enough cooling, and adding a carbon fiber hood vent is simply a tribute to Paul Walker.
    Not sure if OP has RS or S, but we know they cutted corners on the S and wasn't designed to be tuned.
    Still interested with what OP can come up as design :).

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Yamaha R1

Not sure if OP has RS or S, but we know they cutted corners on the S and wasn't designed to be tuned.
    Still interested with what OP can come up as design :).
    i have a 2014 S7, i'm gonna find a spare hood and play with it, grab a 12 pack one weekend and see what i can come up with. Stay tuned :)

Senior Member Three Rings arrivalanche's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you think that hood is bad you should see the kit that it comes with. Shit looks like a spaceshit. Yes I said spaceshit.
    -AARON-

2017 S6 Black Optic
    2018 S4 Black Optic
    2016 S6 Black Optic - Sold
    2014 A6 3.0T Black Optic - Sold
    2014 S4 3.0T Black Optic - Sold
    2012 A6 3.0T - Sold
    2008 A4 2.0T - Sold