Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 Avant, BMW X3, 1998 Sienna Minivan!

My Early RS7 Review...and a couple of questions...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I bought a 2015 RS7 a couple of weeks ago and finally got it out on a longer road trip this week. I've been dealing with some issues on the transaction that have been upsetting, but the car itself isn't the issue thank goodness. Thought I'd toss out my early thoughts.

I've owned some other pretty decent cars before (e39 m5, e92 m3, etc) so my point of comparison is to other 'nice' cars. I have to say at the RS7 is in a completely different league. The car is gorgeous inside and out, but it is clearly a highly capable vehicle. I filled up the rear and the car can carry a lot of cargo, but on the road the car is just amazing. I still have a lot to learn but for the most part I think I have it dialed in the way I want now. What impresses me the most is a funny thing....I took it up to our mtn house from the SF bay area to Reno NV and back, about 200 miles each way. While the car is a beast, it is also pretty efficient on the highway. I got 25mpg on the way up, and just over 28mpg on the return trip....which I consider pretty great for a big and powerful car like this. I really enjoy the tech features, especially the adaptive cruise control. Easiest drives I've ever had up and back. Interior is incredibly comfortable and the car is just solid. I've been getting a few comments on the car, all big thumb's up. Most people don't know what this really is, but those that do appreciate it. I like the 'stealth' look for my cars. Finally got some music in the car and the b&o, while wildly overpriced, is incredible. Best car audio I've ever heard.

At least so far, I love the car. Have never had anything like it.

In terms of what I'm going to do with the car, my intention is to keep it stock. In fact, right now it has 21 inch Avant Garde wheels on it and while they look gorgeous, I am in the process of looking to 'downgrade' to 20 inch wheels. I'd like a bit more rubber underfoot, and in fact might put conti high performance all season tires on it when I find the right set of wheels. I don't want more power or a different sound, prefer the more subtle sound of the stock setup. My biggest want right now is a nice sun shade for it, have to find one that fits it.

I am curious how you guys/gals have it set up. I am keeping it on individual settings, with a couple of the items on 'auto' setting. Not sure I like how the steering feels seems to switch on the highway in this setting, might have to experiment with it a bit.

So far so good, here are a couple of pics of the car.
    Attached Images
    cars: 11 e92 m3, 11 audi a4 avant, 06 jetta 2.0t/dsg, sienna minivan
    bikes: 07 specialized sworks carbon stumpjumper fsr, 07 trek madone road bike
    photo gear: nikon d3s, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 28-300vr, 500vr, 105 macro

Established Member Two Rings justcured's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 S7 (Quartz Gray); 2000 Jaguar XKR Coupe (British Racing Green)

Congrats! I will keep an eye out for you on the streets of the City. I will be walking, however; cars are across the country.

Established Member Two Rings Superdad's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice choice!! I bought mine new in 16 and love it. keep it in dynamic mode and go into sport mode when u feel like getting to 60 mph quickly, its a blast. I have same stereo, the high end is really good. In regard to the wheels I had 21 wheels and summer tires that came with the car and I bought 20 inch wheels from performance wheels
    AU 209 HS5 20X9.0 ET 25 5X112 GLOSS
    MACHINED/ANTHRACITE S5 STYLE REPLICA
    CB66.56
    Those wheels now have all season performance tires and its a great match.

Best of luck.

Senior Member Three Rings socialpro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 RS7, 2014 A6 TDI, 2018 S4, 2013 Gallardo 50th Anniversary

Congrats - car looks great.

I have also went down to 20" wheels -

I drive car in dynamic mode, lowered about .5 inch and have a rear sway bar. The ride is somewhat jarring on bad surface - but eliminates any floaty feel - and handles decent enough in the turns.

Great car! It is not a canyon carver by any means, but is very adequate if pushed hard around turns.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks gang. Sold my other car yesterday (m235i) so I'm back out of the financial hole I dug with the rs7! Trying to figure out how to get down in wheel size in an efficient manner.

So far I have the car in individual mode as I said...I think around town that keeps the suspension in comfort mode which is fine...and on the highway in the mountains where this car will spend a lot of time, it firms things up I believe. The transition in steering isn't to my liking however, might see if there's a setting to just leave it in firmer steering mode without switching everything else.

Veteran Member Four Rings zcd2.7t's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Congrats - great looking ride! Really unique interior - not sure I've seen that color combo previously, but I like it!

As far as Drive settings, I spend most of my time in Individual, with Suspension in Dynamic, everything else in "Auto", but it's whatever feels good to you. Steering feel has never been an Audi strong point, and these cars are no different, but the steering precision is excellent, IMO...

Enjoy!
    2013 S6, Glacier White over Black.
    "If you have the means and don't buy this car, we cannot be friends." - R&T
    2015 Q5 TDi - Torque, baby!
    (Gone, never forgotten) 2011 S4 Prestige S-tronic wSTaSIS stuff

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    So far I have the car in individual mode as I said...I think around town that keeps the suspension in comfort mode which is fine...and on the highway in the mountains where this car will spend a lot of time, it firms things up I believe. The transition in steering isn't to my liking however, might see if there's a setting to just leave it in firmer steering mode without switching everything else.
    Doesn't sound like you are using the Individual mode correctly, like Zcd2.7t said, the individual mode is where you can customize it to your liking. Under Car menu, click the bottom right silver button to configure the Individual settings. I personally have it set to comfort for suspension, auto for engine/trans, and dynamic for steering, sport diff, and exhaust. Sounds like these settings would be to your liking too. Switch suspension to dynamic when you go up to the mountains!
    2013 Phantom Black S7 | Innovation package | Bang & Olufsen | Comfort seats | LED headlights | 20" 5-arm-rotor design | Carbon atlas inlays | Cold weather package | EPL Stage 1

Senior Member Three Rings Frenetic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 Audi S7

Yeah, my individual settings are:

Suspension: comfort
    Steering: dynamic
    Sound: dynamic
    Everything else auto

I usually keep it in this mode. If I want a little more “oomph,” I’ll just switch the transmission to sport by quickly pulling back on the gear shifter (quick and easy). If I want more, I’ll go full dynamic, but those three “modes” pretty much covers everything I need.

While I can’t speak from an RS7 perspective, I agree that these cars are amazing; I love it. It has a split personality that is right down my alley: super-comfortable cruiser on one hand or wicked burner on the other, yours obviously burns more...

Enjoy.
    2017 S7 | Glacier White Metallic

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks gang. I have it in individual mode, but I'm going to try some of these settings. I think I probably need dynamic for steering. The only thing I wasn't totally happy with on my first drive back down from the mountains was what seemed to be a 'harsh' transition between what I think was 'comfort' steering to 'dynamic' steering as I had that set to 'auto'. The car so far is amazing, really driving above my pay grade now!

One question...looking for a sun shade to keep the sun off the dash/steering wheel. What do you guys/gals use?
    Last edited by cohenfive; 05-18-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings LYKUNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

One question...looking for a sun shade to keep the sun off the dash/steering wheel. What do you guys/gals use?
    I got a Covercraft for my S4 and it's a perfect fit. Available in a range of colors and the blue metallic is almost a perfect match for my Jet Blue S4. It folds nicely - not one of those flimsy roll-ups. Don't think you would be disappointed with this sunshade. Here's the link to their site. Once you place it in the windshield, you simply put the visors down to hold it in place. Simple and effective. I also recommend the optional storage bag.
    2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Sport Diff | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | HRE R40s (summer) BBS RGRs (winter)

AZ Member #

...While the car is a beast, it is also pretty efficient on the highway. I got 25mpg on the way up, and just over 28mpg on the return trip...
    Sounds awesome, and also pretty hard to believe. Though I hate to tell you this, the trip computer is about 10% optimistic. This can be corrected with VCDS, the VW/Audi coding software and cable.

I drove 400 miles today in my S6 and averaged about 24 (measured/calculated) mpg at 80 mph...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I'm going to keep living the fantasy with the mpg... :)

As far as the sun shade goes, great minds think alike I guess. I had just ordered the covercraft sun shade and then read your comment. Thanks!

Established Member Two Rings doc-haz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 Corvette Stingray Z51 7spd, 2017 Mercedes GLE 63S AMG

Congrats on a gorgeous ride! That interior with the contrast middle strip reminds me of my own car. Sadly mine has been parked at the dealership for nearly 3 months getting some modifications but I'm so aching to get back in the driver seat. Cheers buddy!

2017 Glacier White S7, prestige, Audi exclusive interior with chestnut brown leather and alabaster white stitching, Oak Sepia wood inlays, B+O system, blackout package, comfort seats, sports package.
    Delivered 06/23/2017

Established Member Two Rings F80Dreamer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow that is such a beautiful ride, congrats!!
    2018 S4 — current ride
    2017 M3 — sold
    2012 M3 — sold
    2015 GTI — sold
    2015 Mustang — sold
    2011 335is — sold

AZ Member #

I had, and have continued to have a similar experience with my RS7 since purchased last October. As a daily driving beast, its pretty much the pinnacle.

It has class leading cargo space and mpg. Its isn't the benchmark for performance; however, for people that actually drive their cars, and use them as just a car most of the time, these simply things are just as important. That's where the RS7 shines. Its either fine getting groceries and not shaking your filling out, or fine getting it on with crazy acceleration and handling whenever you want.

The RS7 only has one downside and that is price!
    2012 Panamera Turbo S Basalt Black Metallic and $186,000 worth of goodies (thank you depreciation)
    (previous cars)
    2014 RS7 Phantom Black --2014 Jeep SRT--2011 CTSV -- 2006 Magnum SRT - 2004 Neon SRT -- 1999 C5 Corvette -- 1999 Trans AM WS6 -- 1991 Cougar XR7

"Love lots of cars, and one good woman"

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Nice and welcome. Sounds like we are local to one another. What condition are your wheels in? I might be interested in buying them if you go 20”.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Message me so I can send you pics. Three are basically perfect, front right has some minor rash easy to get fixed. Tires were 5/32 a month ago, maybe a little worse now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

I like those seats and interior trim other than the wood. Maybe you need a 3M brown carbon fiber wrap.....:)

The RS7 is like no other.
    2012 Panamera Turbo S Basalt Black Metallic and $186,000 worth of goodies (thank you depreciation)
    (previous cars)
    2014 RS7 Phantom Black --2014 Jeep SRT--2011 CTSV -- 2006 Magnum SRT - 2004 Neon SRT -- 1999 C5 Corvette -- 1999 Trans AM WS6 -- 1991 Cougar XR7

"Love lots of cars, and one good woman"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So after a couple of months of ownership of the RS7 I have my first complaint.....there is no auto high beam function with the led light system. Not a big deal, but surprised that this useful function isn't on the RS7 when audi offers high beam assist on lower end cars. Just surprised is all, maybe with the new (at the time) led lights they didn't have time to write the software for high beam assist. Go figure.

And I have to subscribe to live traffic updates on the nav since it was dropped by Sirius when the car sold. Bmw's keep the live updates regardless of ownership.

I am still amazed by the car, it does just about everything well...very well.

AZ Member #

I believe the high beam assist is part of the driver's assistance package which your car has. It has to be activated each time the ignition is cycled which is annoying to me as my Tesla allows the feature to always be activated.
    2017 Audi RS7 APR Stage 1
    2016 Tesla Model S P90D
    2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

Forever in my heart but no longer in my garage:
    2013 Lotus Evora
    2009 Porsche 911

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phaphaphooey View Post
    I believe the high beam assist is part of the driver's assistance package which your car has. It has to be activated each time the ignition is cycled which is annoying to me as my Tesla allows the feature to always be activated.
    I don't know how to activate it, and have spoken to the dealer and Audi (fwiw) and neither have said that my car has it. I don't see it in any menus on my car either.

Could use some help from you guys/gals on where to find it, if it exists on my car.

Senior Member Three Rings spidey9999's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I don't know how to activate it, and have spoken to the dealer and Audi (fwiw) and neither have said that my car has it. I don't see it in any menus on my car either.

Could use some help from you guys/gals on where to find it, if it exists on my car.
    While this video is for the B9 A4 the activation process is the same for the C7 platform. The headlight switch must be in the "Auto" position.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spidey9999 View Post
    While this video is for the B9 A4 the activation process is the same for the C7 platform. The headlight switch must be in the "Auto" position.
    Thanks for posting that - I had never figured out how to enable that feature! 👌

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spidey9999 View Post

I'm sorry but I saw that video when I did a search for the feature a couple of weeks ago. It says nothing about how to activate the high beam assist feature...All it shows is having the lights in the auto position, which mine are. When I flick on my brights, they go on and stay on..and I do not get that little 'high beam assist on' light in the dash. So I'm still not sure if I have the feature or not, or how to turn it on.

Thanks

Senior Member Three Rings spidey9999's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm sorry but I saw that video when I did a search for the feature a couple of weeks ago. It says nothing about how to activate the high beam assist feature...All it shows is having the lights in the auto position, which mine are. When I flick on my brights, they go on and stay on..and I do not get that little 'high beam assist on' light in the dash. So I'm still not sure if I have the feature or not, or how to turn it on.

Thanks
    Do you have Active Lane Assist (activation button is on the end of the turn signal stalk), Adaptive Cruise Control and the front split view camera? If so, then you have the Driver Assistance Package which includes High Beam Assistant.

The code for this package is PCN and can be found on the white build sticker in the trunk.