Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Lowering Spring Options

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Looking to lower my RS3. So far my research has come up with following options. MSS, APR, H&R, EMD, KW, ABT, NEUSPEED and I’m probably missing some. (034??)

I’m not looking for a “slammed” look... just a little lower than stock. I’m not likely to track the car. I have the mag ride suspension. I may upgrade the sway bars later. I realize this is a pretty opened ended question but thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

Just passed 2,500 kms and loving the car so far.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I did mss at the highest setting and love it.

Senior Member Three Rings Sniper260687's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zacincceo View Post
    I did mss at the highest setting and love it.
    Price? pics?

Does it fuck up the magnetic ride?

Senior Member Three Rings Konrad's Avatar
    AZ Member #

APR, H&R and EiBach all have pro kits that will work with your mag ride. If you are looking for max drop then MSS is a good option. But, it's also the most expensive.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper260687 View Post
    Price? pics?

Does it fuck up the magnetic ride?
    MSS at highest setting immediately after install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

@uclaman

When you say “highest setting”, do you have it maxed out in the front and rear? I’ve got the MSS street springs waiting for my car to arrive. I’ve always understood that you need to lower the front all the way down and adjust the rear up to get a level setup. Yours looks fantastic so I’d like more details.
    On Order: 2018 Audi RS3 - Daytona Gray w/Aluminum Optics, Dynamic & Tech Packages

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by iceman302 View Post
    @uclaman

When you say “highest setting”, do you have it maxed out in the front and rear? I’ve got the MSS street springs waiting for my car to arrive. I’ve always understood that you need to lower the front all the way down and adjust the rear up to get a level setup. Yours looks fantastic so I’d like more details.
    I had 034 motorsports just put the MSS springs on and that's it(track pack with street fronts - my understanding is that the street fronts have similar spring rate but only go down 30mm as opposed to 40mm for the track fronts).

They did not lower the vehicle any further, they simply just put the springs on.

I have a follow up in the coming weeks after they settle and may have them lower the front a tad bit more.

Reason I elected not to lower too much is I have a steep driveway. That being said, I could probably lower 10-20mm on the fronts.

In any case, the ride seems much more composed but smoother with the springs(keep in mind I also had dogbones installed). The stock springs to me felt very stiff. The MSS does not feel stif to me(in a good way).

Established Member Two Rings seanix9's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by iceman302 View Post
    @uclaman

You are spot on mate.
    The rears on the lowest setting actually look slammed. The fronts on the other hand don't lower that much. if you compare the MSS to the more popular brand such as H&R, the H&R sits lower.
    Ive got MSS sports kit with track front springs. Once the settling in period is complete, we will need to raise the rear to match the front.
    At the moment it looks a little silly :)

Ride quality is fantastic with the MSS. They are very expensive springs in comparison to everything else out there but you do get a great product no doubt. You may also want to consider the new KW HAS springs which have recently been launched. Being a new product, there is little information about their ride quality etc . There aren't many ppl running these at the moment but i'm sure it will gain momentum.
    Last edited by seanix9; 05-17-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Current: 2018 Ara Blue RS3 Sedan
    Past: 2016 Glacier White RS3 SB

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by uclaman View Post
    I had 034 motorsports just put the MSS springs on and that's it(track pack with street fronts - my understanding is that the street fronts have similar spring rate but only go down 30mm as opposed to 40mm for the track fronts).

They did not lower the vehicle any further, they simply just put the springs on.

I have a follow up in the coming weeks after they settle and may have them lower the front a tad bit more.

Reason I elected not to lower too much is I have a steep driveway. That being said, I could probably lower 10-20mm on the fronts.

In any case, the ride seems much more composed but smoother with the springs(keep in mind I also had dogbones installed). The stock springs to me felt very stiff. The MSS does not feel stif to me(in a good way).
    Quote Originally Posted by seanix9 View Post
    You are spot on mate.
    The rears on the lowest setting actually look slammed. The fronts on the other hand don't lower that much. if you compare the MSS to the more popular brand such as H&R, the H&R sits lower.
    Ive got MSS sports kit with track front springs. Once the settling in period is complete, we will need to raise the rear to match the front.
    At the moment it looks a little silly :)

Ride quality is fantastic with the MSS. They are very expensive springs in comparison to everything else out there but you do get a great product no doubt. You may also want to consider the new KW HAS springs which have recently been launched. Being a new product, there is little information about their ride quality etc . There aren't many ppl running these at the moment but i'm sure it will gain momentum.
    Thanks for the additional details and positive feedback, gentlemen. It’s always good to hear reinforcement that I went the right route with the springs.
    On Order: 2018 Audi RS3 - Daytona Gray w/Aluminum Optics, Dynamic & Tech Packages

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The stock springs to me felt very stiff. The MSS does not feel stif to me(in a good way).
    I assume this is in Dynamic that they felt too stiff? I wouldn't want to lose the level of stiffness the car has by going with these springs. I'm surprised to hear they feel softer.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Lowering Spring Options

Quote Originally Posted by ahyeah View Post
    I assume this is in Dynamic that they felt too stiff? I wouldn't want to lose the level of stiffness the car has by going with these springs. I'm surprised to hear they feel softer.
    Maybe softer is not the correct term.

To me it feels like there is less roll with turns and everything feels more responsive but at the same time i feel like bumps or imperfections in the road are not as jarring as stock. And yes im comparing dynamic mode pre and post mss.

But maybe its placebo effect.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I’m interested in the MSS but having a hard time justifying paying an extra $840 over say an EMD spring. $1129 vs 280 is a pretty big difference for springs. Are they that much better?

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

When did APR come out with springs for the RS3 or are you referring to the rebranded S3 springs they're using on RS3........
    2018 RS3 Panther Black

Registered Member One Ring PDXliam's Avatar
    AZ Member #

MSS at highest setting immediately after install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

MSS with track fronts.

Need to raise the rear to match the front. Still got some settling to go.

Ride quality is fantastic. I was happy to pay the premium for comfort but I agree, they are very expensive compared to everything else out there .

Current: 2018 RS3 Sedan
    Past: 2016 RS3 SB

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

MSS with track fronts.

Ride quality is fantastic. I was happy to pay the premium for comfort but I agree, they are very expensive compared to everything else out there .

You have made the best choice. I am looking for the best deal on the track setup all around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post
    You have made the best choice. I am looking for the best deal on the track setup all around.
    Where did you buy the black rings?
    Have a pic of the front?
    1997 VW GTI VR6 / 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST / 2002 VW Golf GLS TDI / 2004 VW R32 HPA FT360 / 2004 VW R32 / 2012 VW Golf R 4dr Base / 2015 VW Golf R DSG loaded / 2017 VW Golf R DSG Loaded / 2018 Audi RS3 /

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you buy the black rings?
    Have a pic of the front?
    Here U go.

http://www.originalpartsgroup.com.au...OSS-BLACK.html

Current: 2018 RS3 Sedan
    Past: 2016 RS3 SB

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sweet! I took off the front RS3 badge and will remove the rear, just leave gloss black rings on my black ops grey RS3.....
    1997 VW GTI VR6 / 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST / 2002 VW Golf GLS TDI / 2004 VW R32 HPA FT360 / 2004 VW R32 / 2012 VW Golf R 4dr Base / 2015 VW Golf R DSG loaded / 2017 VW Golf R DSG Loaded / 2018 Audi RS3 /

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Excelerate Rep's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi's

Quote Originally Posted by DWS4 View Post
    I’m interested in the MSS but having a hard time justifying paying an extra $840 over say an EMD spring. $1129 vs 280 is a pretty big difference for springs. Are they that much better?

Like others have mentioned above, the MSS kit is a superior suspension setup for the RS3. With the MSS kit you will find it is just more then a lowering spring, the team at MSS has spent years developing the perfect kit to not only improve daily driving ride comfort, but as you push the car you'll find the suspension really come to life! Working in conjunction with the BWI group, the company that produces the MagRide struts for the VAG platform, they were able to obtain rebound and compression damping to get the perfect ride in all drive modes. We have had plenty of customers convert from the conventional lowering spring and coilover setup to the MSS kit with nothing but positive results.