Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Race suspension

Active Member Two Rings DeciduousAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    oil

Race suspension

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

I have been here for years and I rarely post but, I have a question for the community that I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere. I have been looking for a more aggressive suspension setup on my B7. I am currently running Function | Form coilovers (this may have been a mistake). This setup has linear springs as opposed to progressive and feels very rigid. I also have a 21mm H&R rear swaybar. Camber is set at -1.8 in the front and -1.2 in the rear. Toe is 0.0 all around. And the car feels pretty solid on the track but I think it could be better.

So what's the best coilover system for racing? (I dont care what you think or what feels "comfortable")

Does anyone know if the B7 responds better with progressive springs or linear?

Another question is for anyone who has ran progressive and linear springs. Any difference in performance?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings Der Konig's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '06 a4 2.0T 6MTQ, S3 '01.5 s4 avant 6speed, '12 Audi Q5

For a race set up you want progressive for roll control from what I have heard. Some also argue it makes it more unpredictable since you spring rate changes throughout the roll, but weight transition happens pretty quickly.

Not sure what you are running but I have been pretty happy with kw but I only track it a few times a year. Best system will be something with dampening/rebound adjust-ability.

The ohlins on my s4 are awesome but that is a whole different league of suspension set up, rides stiff but handles very well.

Just noticed something else, what do you think could feel better? Adding some toe can help with turn in but make it tram line/wear in daily use. Just depends on what you are looking for.

'01.5 APR S3 S4 Avant 6 Speed - current
    '06 APR S2+ A4 2.0T 6 Speed DD - current
    '12 Audi Q5 2.0T P+ - current
    '05 Ford F250 XLT 4x4 BP'd 6.0 - current
    '91 Jetta GL 1.8 8v manual swap - sold
    '99 SVT Cobra - sold
    '01 Mustang GT - sold
    '88 Mustang LX 5.0 - sold
    '95 Jeep Cherokee Country - sold

Active Member Two Rings DeciduousAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    oil

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the Ohlins kit is a bit out of my classing (and budget). I mostly think it could be better on turn in, in tight corners, and slaloms. It's pretty solid mid turn and after. I'm going to be trying a new tire soon so that may help out. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I think I might end up buying the pss9 or 10 from bielstien but I can't seem to find much feedback from people who track them. It's funny, I always thought with as many mods are available for this platform, I thought I would see more B7s at the tracks and autocross events but that's just not the case

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Four Rings b7_Andy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have raceland 620lb adjustable coil overs on the front, Swift 900lb springs on the rear with custom perches and adjustment collars and a 034 25.4mm rear sway bar. The car handles really well... Iím fairly confident itíll pull a 1g turn. My B7 gets a lot of track time and I definitely will be pushing people through the corners. I donít think any company offers suspension with the right spring rates front and rear. So if you really want to get your suspension dialed in youíll probably have to find a custom spring that works for you. In these cars you really need to make the rear stiff, you have a fatter sway bar which helps a lot, I would try and find some fairly stiff springs to modify for the rear too. I spent a ton of time trying to fight understeering and now my carís finally at the point where if a steer into a corner my slip angles front and rear are fairly balanced and if I give it some gas the rear will want to slide out first. Some corners that are uphill and sloping away Iíll still get a bit of understeer, but the rear definitely wants to slide more than the front now so I can hit corners way faster. Also if you donít have a JHM 4:1 center diff I would definitely recommend one of those too!