Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings blinx9900's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Resonator delete, X-pipe Video

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have an 18 S7 Prestige with sports exhaust. Iím going to do a resonator delete and X-pipe. Iím kind of new to the Audi thing, is there anything i need to know before having this done?

Like will all my valves still work, etc... i love the car and just want a bit more audible feedback but donít want to deal with any problems or side effects.

****UPDATE*****

So i ended up using a Magnaflow resonated X-pipe to replace the 2 resonators and i used 2 pieces of straight pipe to delete the big suitcase resonator. Overall very happy, here is a video:

Side note: the exhaust sounds the same no matter what mode I'm in so i don't know if i have valves or what, will start a separate thread for that.

Last edited by blinx9900; 05-22-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings RAF_S7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Everything will still work.

Front pipes replace with straight through, center suitcase replace with an x-pipe.

All valves etc are retained on the rear mufflers.
    2016 S7 Sepang Blue ///Matrix//Bose//Self Park//Lane Assist//ACC//F&R parking cams//Blackvue DR650//Phone Box//Sunroof//Privacy glass//Carbon mirrors//Neidfaktor Steering wheel//RS Knob//OEM RS Grill//Suntek PPF//De-chromed//Roc-Euro//Modded Exhaust//Cete ASC v2 installed//APR Stage 1 on. WoW
    Gone: 2014 Audi A7Q 3.0 TFSI
    Gone: 2011 Audi A6Q 2.8 TFSI
    Gone: 2009 Audi A3Q 2.0 TDIi

AZ Member #

Does anyone have an image of where the X-Pipe goes and were the delete goes?

Veteran Member Four Rings ichi d's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What's better x or h pipe for c7/s6
    C7 4.0T - EPL stage 1 ECU/TCU.

Donated - C6.5 Apr Stage 2

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige + others

Quote Originally Posted by blinx9900 View Post
    I have an 18 S7 Prestige with sports exhaust. Iím going to do a resonator delete and X-pipe. Iím kind of new to the Audi thing, is there anything i need to know before having this done?

Like will all my valves still work, etc... i love the car and just want a bit more audible feedback but donít want to deal with any problems or side effects.
    I suppose the one I responded to Audi group of orange county is you?
    - Michael
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige: GIAC S2 / Injen Intake / Deval rear diffuser / OEM muffler mod (Quad Tips + X-Pipe) / Eurocode drivetrain inserts / 034 Swaybar / Volk wheels / KW V1/ RS front grill / Carbon trunk spoiler / Carbon mirror / Stoptech rotors.

Muffler Tips for sale: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-tips-for-sale

AZ Member #

Does anyone have an image of where the X-Pipe goes and were the delete goes?

X-Pipe is best option.
    2016 S7 Sepang Blue ///Matrix//Bose//Self Park//Lane Assist//ACC//F&R parking cams//Blackvue DR650//Phone Box//Sunroof//Privacy glass//Carbon mirrors//Neidfaktor Steering wheel//RS Knob//OEM RS Grill//Suntek PPF//De-chromed//Roc-Euro//Modded Exhaust//Cete ASC v2 installed//APR Stage 1 on. WoW

Established Member Two Rings vdubtucckn's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^ Agree! Had this done couple months back and the tone is however, I would like to amplify it a tad. Hoping to do so with DPís.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Thanks

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Remember reading if you don't want any more cabin noise, to only replace the 'suitcase' with an X-pipe. The center resonators add a little bit of noise inside the cabin, but increase more the sound volume outside. I think I'll start with the suitcase only, which should be enough for me. But have to find the right X-pipe, and more importantly, the rigth shop. I want it done like it was factory, not the hack jobs I've seen. Hard to find such a place in my dump of a city, so will have to be during a trip to Austin, Phoenix, or such.

AZ Member #

Thanks for all the help guys, doing this tomorrow starting with suitcase and weíll see how i like it.

Established Member Two Rings roush85's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks for all the help guys, doing this tomorrow starting with suitcase and weíll see how i like it.
    Post some sound clips when your finished!
    2016 S6 Prestige Tornado Grey. Stock for now

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by yeuchau View Post
    I suppose the one I responded to Audi group of orange county is you?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by roush85 View Post
    Post some sound clips when your finished!
    will do!

AZ Member #

thread updated with video of the outcome in original post. That's my buddy revving the engine.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

thread updated with video of the outcome in original post. That's my buddy revving the engine.
    Holy balls, that sounds great. Just so I understand, you put the x-pipe upstream, and went straight pipes at the suitcase? This is a somewhat non-traditional set up. Am I right? Do you have any pictures of the final setup? Regardless, I really really like the sound.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S6_So_Pissed View Post
    Holy balls, that sounds great. Just so I understand, you put the x-pipe upstream, and went straight pipes at the suitcase? This is a somewhat non-traditional set up. Am I right? Do you have any pictures of the final setup? Regardless, I really really like the sound.

You are correct, the suitcase has been straight piped while the 2 resonators are now the magnaflow resonated x-pipe. No pics sadly. X-pipes should be closer to the engine when possible, i saw it was possible so i did it that way :). I have an appointment somewhere else for other work, if i get it on a lift iíll snap photos.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Yamaha R1

I recently did some things to my S7, I don't have the sports exhaust so i'm not sure what is different between the two. When i bought the car it had the rear most mufflers deleted and retained the cats, front resonators and the middle suitcase. it had a nice modest rumble but i wanted to make the attitude of the car a little more rowdy. i took it too one of the local shops here in the twin cities and talked over options with the owner under the car. I decided to delete the middle suitcase and do SS straight pipe and redo the rear section since the PO did a hack job with shitty welds and steel pipe so its rusting. I decided to go this route to get the tone and volume right first then address the looks of the rear portion as a day two concern. So with my current setup, i just have cats and the front resonators. The volume of this setup really changes the attitude of the car and on the HWY there is no drone surprisingly. Wide open throttle this 4.0T sings and its simply orgasmic, if you're looking for an aggressive note that wont break the bank with no drone i suggest this as an option. I don plan to throw a set of downpipes in the car this summer so i hope that a catted option does'nt make it took crazy.

AZ Member #

I have some drone around 1800-2200 rpm when part throttle, like leaving a red light but thatís it. I believe retaining the 2 small resonators alleviates that. So far i donít mind it, no drone cruising, only when accel which i feel some is to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You are correct, the suitcase has been straight piped while the 2 resonators are now the magnaflow resonated x-pipe. No pics sadly. X-pipes should be closer to the engine when possible, i saw it was possible so i did it that way :). I have an appointment somewhere else for other work, if i get it on a lift iíll snap photos.
    Sounds great. I'd have to agree with the placement of the X at the resonators/upstream vs rear. In nearly every application I've seen, its recommended to place the exhaust crossover (X/H) at the point where the exhaust is hottest. Unsure what the effect on sound is though...my .02

AZ Member #

Just called a local muffler shop about a suitcase job, but on this crappy city, doubt it'd be able to do what I want, which is a custom-made X-pipe curved to look like factory. Basically one piece of tubing from one side to the other, then 2 holes on that piece to form an X-pipe, and add the 2 pieces. In other words, it'd only require 3 tubes, and done with the factory curvature to look factory. I'd also ask the shop to enlarge the ends, to avoid any welding. That way, since the other 2 pieces would be welded off the car, the end piece would just slide into one side far enough, then slide it back into the other 2 pipes and use clamps to finish the job. Rather leave the car as is than do a hack job like the ones I've seen posted. And yes, sometimes I hate myself (ha ha), but want it done properly, even if it's not going to be seen. It could actually be sold, since it'd be a DIY job, just requiring cutting of the suitcase at a specific point. Going to ask the guy to go easy on the price with the potential to sell it to S6/S7 owners. But most likely, he won't have the ability and/or equipment to do it, most likely. We'll see. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if offered, so hopefully somebody else in a big city will get the hint and produce it. That way, no risk of leaving any leaks on top of the pipes, where it's very difficult to do. Also no risk of messing anything on the car, since most of us would just do it in our own garages.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by elptxjc View Post
    Just called a local muffler shop about a suitcase job, but on this crappy city, doubt it'd be able to do what I want, which is a custom-made X-pipe curved to look like factory. Basically one piece of tubing from one side to the other, then 2 holes on that piece to form an X-pipe, and add the 2 pieces. In other words, it'd only require 3 tubes, and done with the factory curvature to look factory. I'd also ask the shop to enlarge the ends, to avoid any welding. That way, since the other 2 pieces would be welded off the car, the end piece would just slide into one side far enough, then slide it back into the other 2 pipes and use clamps to finish the job. Rather leave the car as is than do a hack job like the ones I've seen posted. And yes, sometimes I hate myself (ha ha), but want it done properly, even if it's not going to be seen. It could actually be sold, since it'd be a DIY job, just requiring cutting of the suitcase at a specific point. Going to ask the guy to go easy on the price with the potential to sell it to S6/S7 owners. But most likely, he won't have the ability and/or equipment to do it, most likely. We'll see. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if offered, so hopefully somebody else in a big city will get the hint and produce it. That way, no risk of leaving any leaks on top of the pipes, where it's very difficult to do. Also no risk of messing anything on the car, since most of us would just do it in our own garages.
    Since when was cut/weld a hack job? My cars a lease and iím not worried about it. Youíre getting way too complicated, essentially youíre talking about doing a clamp on style which feels nice for the OCD side of me but a total waste of money, i donít consider that ďdone rightĒ and cut/weld ďdone wrongĒ or a hack job but to each their own :)

AZ Member #

Not saying all are hack jobs, but all I'VE SEEN are... at least to my standards. And yes, it'd cost more, but I'd be able to do it myself, and no risk of leaks. To each his own, but as I said, I live where there're no good shops, so that's where I stand. You'd at least need curved piping to follow the factory curvature IMO. I consider a hack job a straight X-pipe, which any cheap shop can do. But again, to each his own.

AZ Member #

So how do u this mod without getting any drone?

AZ Member #

You'd need to define drone, since it means something different for everybody. But as I mentioned earlier, my research told me only removing the 'suitcase' leaves interior noise level basically stock. Removing the resonators too will yield more cabin noise; it's a fact. The only thing left to determine is if it amounts to drone to you or not. The prudent thing to do is to start with the suitcase. Hopefully it'll be enough. But if not, then you can ponder if it's worth the risk removing the resonators or not. I gave up my beloved Porsche because it was too noisy, and my wife didn't ride with me anymore. Therefore, I don't want to jeopardize that, or might as well would have kept the better car for my driving. But I'm very happy with the S6, especially since I'm finally using it immensely more than any other sports car because my wife actually wants to ride on it. Have put 6,200 miles in a few months. Took me 2 years to put that on the Porsche.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I believe you can retrain the sound system's active noise cancellation function to combat some of the newly introduced drone with exhaust mods.
    2017 Audi RS7 APR Stage 1
    2016 Tesla Model S P90D
    2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

Forever in my heart but no longer in my garage:
    2013 Lotus Evora
    2009 Porsche 911

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by phaphaphooey View Post
    I believe you can retrain the sound system's active noise cancellation function to combat some of the newly introduced drone with exhaust mods.
    Really? Would you happen to know more about how i go about that? :)

AZ Member #

You cannot really 'train' it, but only reset it... and it's doubtful that improves anything. I tried that in hopes of quieting tire noise, and didn't notice any difference. Supposedly the system always cancels noises in its frequency range, negating any need to 'reset' it. The problem is it only works on a narrow frequency range. When playing with VCDS, noticed there're settings that you could change (they might ask for a security code), but unless you know what you're doing, wouldn't touch them. The noise canceling was primarily tuned to avoid the 4-cyl 'drone', not exhaust drone. Maybe it helps a bit, but not if you remove all resonators. Since our exhaust is NOT bolt-on, better be sure you want to do it, starting with what it's a sure bet: the suitcase. I want to hear a few more 'testimonials' that even that alone doesn't change anything inside the cabin. It'd be the only way I'd consider it. But most likely won't do anything, since there's no local shop that would do a good enough job for my standards.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by elptxjc View Post
    You cannot really 'train' it, but only reset it... and it's doubtful that improves anything. I tried that in hopes of quieting tire noise, and didn't notice any difference. Supposedly the system always cancels noises in its frequency range, negating any need to 'reset' it. The problem is it only works on a narrow frequency range. When playing with VCDS, noticed there're settings that you could change (they might ask for a security code), but unless you know what you're doing, wouldn't touch them. The noise canceling was primarily tuned to avoid the 4-cyl 'drone', not exhaust drone. Maybe it helps a bit, but not if you remove all resonators. Since our exhaust is NOT bolt-on, better be sure you want to do it, starting with what it's a sure bet: the suitcase. I want to hear a few more 'testimonials' that even that alone doesn't change anything inside the cabin. It'd be the only way I'd consider it. But most likely won't do anything, since there's no local shop that would do a good enough job for my standards.
    Iím totally happy with the outcome, just thought it would be cool to play with noise cancelling. My exhaust sounds amazing and i can always put the resonators back on if i change my mind. You donít need to be sure about anything, most mods can be undone.

AZ Member #

Iím totally happy with the outcome
    And this is all that matters

Whatís next?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RAF_S7 View Post
    And this is all that matters

Whatís next?
    Getting it lowered tomorrow, install brighter reverse lights (to help with dark parking lots), also going to have them check why my valves donít close on my right muffler. After that install a sub in the trunk then pick out wheels and get the cete lowering module, maxton spoiler is also a thought but not sure. After that i might be done, stage 2 is a thought but stage 1 is plenty of power honestly.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have some drone around 1800-2200 rpm when part throttle, like leaving a red light but thatís it. I believe retaining the 2 small resonators alleviates that. So far i donít mind it, no drone cruising, only when accel which i feel some is to be expected.

Do you have any video on the road?

Senior Member Three Rings Bdubs's Avatar
    AZ Member #

To the OP, thanks for posting...something I'm planning on doing to my 2016 soon and this gives me a good discussion point with my exhaust shop of doing x pipe up front or in the rear. Having come from a 2013 X5M with a dinan exhaust that shook the glasses in my kitchen on startup, my non sport exhaust S6 feels/sounds like I'm driving a tesla...
    Current: 2016 S6 - Mythos on Black - Stock (for now); Past: 2013 BMW X5M Dinan Stg 1-Exhaust-Springs / 2002 Audi S6 Avant - Hotchkis Sways, Catless, Tinted on R8 reps / 2007 Audi S6 - Tinted & Millteked / 2007 Volvo V70R / 2004 Volvo S60R / 2000 Volvo V70XC SE AWD / 1998 Volvo S70 T5 / 1998 Buick Regal GS / 1995 Camaro Z28 / 1995 Honda VFR 750 / 1991 Trans Am WS6

Veteran Member Four Rings highPSI-S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C7.5 S6, 14 Jetta 1.8t, 15 ZX6R

I was going to do this and went a different route so I have a Magnaflow 2.5in X-pipe I'll be posting in the classifieds in a bit if anyone is interested.
    C7.5 Glacier Wht | Prestige | Blk Optics | EPL STG2 | Mike's Downpipes | Becker Catback | Roc Euro | EC Diff Mount | EC F/R SB| EC Trans Mount | Airmatic Links | HRE FF04 20x9 et25| Carbon Mirrors | RS Grille | Yellow Calipers |
    Instagram: @Sinister_S6

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by highPSI-S4 View Post
    I was going to do this and went a different route so I have a Magnaflow 2.5in X-pipe I'll be posting in the classifieds in a bit if anyone is interested.
    I am

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

absolutely positively LOVE the sound!
    2016 S7 prestige (which im selling :()

[IMG][/IMG]
    2016 S7 Daytona gray, arras red interior
    RS7 performance steering wheel
    9500ci Passport with mid-city enginering module integrated into instrument display
    Resonator delete with x-pipe

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S6_So_Pissed View Post
    Do you have any video on the road?

No, iíll try and take some but i donít think itíll get picked up by the camera mic honestly.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bdubs View Post
    To the OP, thanks for posting...something I'm planning on doing to my 2016 soon and this gives me a good discussion point with my exhaust shop of doing x pipe up front or in the rear. Having come from a 2013 X5M with a dinan exhaust that shook the glasses in my kitchen on startup, my non sport exhaust S6 feels/sounds like I'm driving a tesla...
    Yes of course! I also felt the car was far too quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andrewaw View Post
    absolutely positively LOVE the sound!
    2016 S7 prestige (which im selling :()

[IMG][/IMG]
    So you kept the 2 resonators and deleted suitcase only? Can u comment on the sound compared to mine?

AZ Member #

So this is coming off today.

Edit not sure why the app won't let me upload a picture but the suitcase is getting replaced with an x-pipe.
    Last edited by ichi d; 06-17-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings lv2000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Current. 2018 s6 prestige Past-997 turbo/ Audi S7 /13 A6 /b8 s4 /b8.5 s4 /b6 s4

I feel dumb it sounds amazing ! I had my suitcase replaced with x pipe I always wondered why everyoneís was louder I left the front resonators alone. I want to install my awe exhaust but I fear it wonít sound as loud because itís touring with resonators