Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2010
    AZ Member #
    52877
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Sell RS4 for a 997 ?

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a 997. I don't need the 4 doors anymore and the RS4 is not a daily driver. I have always liked the looks of the 997 and might even go for a cabriolet. I have test driven a few in the last few weeks but was wondering if anyone owns or has owned a 997 and what their longer term impression has been.

    thanks for any input..

  2. #2
    Established Member Four Rings funkypterodacty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2017
    AZ Member #
    398712
    Location
    Los Angeles


  3. #3
    Senior Member Three Rings cmd4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09 2010
    AZ Member #
    53158
    Location
    asheville

    I'll be curious to hear this too. I love my RS4, had a 993 before it. Have recently toyed with the same though of replacing with a 996tt or 997 c4s/targa 4s. Have never driven either and would love to hear opinions as well. The 4.2 sound and power is so intoxicating, my fear is the flat six can't fill those shoes..but I still can't get over 911 styling and lures.Theyre simply gorgeous!
    RS4 mugello blue,Ti-Curing the itch
    03-Cobalt Allroad 78k 6mt- Car seat duty
    b6 s4 avant blk/blk-57k 6mt Gone
    DD -03 7.3 pwrstrk 6spd 200k and counting
    85 fj 60 lt1 and nv4500..Gone
    96-993 C4SÖGone
    78-fj40-smb350Öalum tub,aussie 4spd,orion t case ,detroit locked
    97-40th fj80 on 33's and arb front

  4. #4
    Senior Member Three Rings MugelloB7RS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06 2015
    AZ Member #
    313804
    Location
    Toronto

    I would say drive one and decide for yourself. I remember working at a shop and we regularly worked on Porsche and saw lots of 997's. I was lucky enough to drive many and they are fantastic cars no doubt. I always found myself after driving one for a few days missing the RS4. That was just me, maybe it was because it was mine so I felt a bigger connection to it, but I remember we fully built the motor on a 997turbo to ~1000hp and it was my job to drive it for a few days to break it in. Each day we would change the oil, up the boost a bit to make sure everything was working right. It was a machine and insane fast but for me, I kept missing the RS4. Maybe I was disillusion, maybe I have an extremely irrational love for the RS4, I don't know. There's no doubt that the Porsche's are amazing cars and I would never fault anyone who chose to buy one, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if you will enjoy it more than the RS4.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 13 2004
    AZ Member #
    448
    My Garage
    AW E30 M3 & PB B7 RS4 (DD)
    Location
    SoCal

    Quote Originally Posted by MugelloB7RS4 View Post
    I would say drive one and decide for yourself. I remember working at a shop and we regularly worked on Porsche and saw lots of 997's. I was lucky enough to drive many and they are fantastic cars no doubt. I always found myself after driving one for a few days missing the RS4. That was just me, maybe it was because it was mine so I felt a bigger connection to it, but I remember we fully built the motor on a 997turbo to ~1000hp and it was my job to drive it for a few days to break it in. Each day we would change the oil, up the boost a bit to make sure everything was working right. It was a machine and insane fast but for me, I kept missing the RS4. Maybe I was disillusion, maybe I have an extremely irrational love for the RS4, I don't know. There's no doubt that the Porsche's are amazing cars and I would never fault anyone who chose to buy one, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if you will enjoy it more than the RS4.
    OMG, lately I also have an itch for the P car, but now with your post I better keeping my RS (or add one more in the stable, there are a few high miles but good shape around me that so tempted)

  6. #6
    Senior Member Three Rings MugelloB7RS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06 2015
    AZ Member #
    313804
    Location
    Toronto

    Quote Originally Posted by d2a4 View Post
    OMG, lately I also have an itch for the P car, but now with your post I better keeping my RS (or add one more in the stable, there are a few high miles but good shape around me that so tempted)
    What I like is not what everyone likes though. I do remember other customers that we had that had like GT3's, R8's, etc. some pretty wild cars and a few of them said they wished they had never gotten rid of the RS4. Again that's not everyone's opinion and everyone has different wants/needs but something to consider.

  7. #7
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenj View Post
    I am thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a 997...
    Tell me more about your RS4 :)

  8. #8
    Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2010
    AZ Member #
    52877
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by MugelloB7RS4 View Post
    I would say drive one and decide for yourself. I remember working at a shop and we regularly worked on Porsche and saw lots of 997's. I was lucky enough to drive many and they are fantastic cars no doubt. I always found myself after driving one for a few days missing the RS4. That was just me, maybe it was because it was mine so I felt a bigger connection to it, but I remember we fully built the motor on a 997turbo to ~1000hp and it was my job to drive it for a few days to break it in. Each day we would change the oil, up the boost a bit to make sure everything was working right. It was a machine and insane fast but for me, I kept missing the RS4. Maybe I was disillusion, maybe I have an extremely irrational love for the RS4, I don't know. There's no doubt that the Porsche's are amazing cars and I would never fault anyone who chose to buy one, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if you will enjoy it more than the RS4.
    I have liked the test drives I have taken, but they are only short 10-15 minute drives, so I am still undecided . I know I would miss the RS4 the engine is a gem... but maybe it is time to move on. Tough choice!!

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2010
    AZ Member #
    52877
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Tell me more about your RS4 :)
    Quick overview:
    Mugello Blue with silver interior
    2nd owner for the last 7ish years
    never winter driven
    53XXX miles
    ADV wheels
    H&R springs
    Gutted precats
    LED taillights
    JHM short shifter and linkage
    Trans and diff mounts
    ECS H pipe
    Flat bottom RS6 steering wheel
    Clutch replaced last year
    Carbon clean 10K miles ago
    Tires 5k miles ago Conti DW 275/30/19
    I have all the original parts.. taillights, original downpipes, OEM wheels and steering wheel etc.

    Here is a link to a picture (if it works)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp16mb4a63...-copy.JPG?dl=0

  10. #10
    Established Member Two Rings ssc_rs4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2018
    AZ Member #
    412822
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA

    Had 991.1 C4S before. Really liked it. It was a lease return. Was going to wait for the right 991.1 GTS or 991R to show up so I decide to get a RS4 as a ďtemporaryĒ car. Ended up buying two. I love how analog this car feels and donít really care how electronically assisted the 991s are. The 997 will be a different story tho. Also, I loooove driving a V8. Miss my Panamera tho. Just too bad itís not a stick.

    Thatís my perspective from a previous 991 driver. Yes the power and quickness is incredible. But the overall balance of the RS4 I donít thing too many cars can match.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    58431
    Location
    Atlanta

    I would say skip any sort of cabriolet and go for a 997.1S. Definitely a quicker car than an RS4, and a purer driving experience. Cabin is contemporary with the RS4, and the newer builds (07 and 08 especially) don't have any IMS issues at all. Ideally, a 997.2 C2S or GTS would be cool, but those are significantly pricier.
    Garage:
    B7 RS4 (For Sale)

    Past:
    B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

  12. #12
    Established Member Two Rings ssc_rs4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2018
    AZ Member #
    412822
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    I would say skip any sort of cabriolet and go for a 997.1S. Definitely a quicker car than an RS4, and a purer driving experience. Cabin is contemporary with the RS4, and the newer builds (07 and 08 especially) don't have any IMS issues at all. Ideally, a 997.2 C2S or GTS would be cool, but those are significantly pricier.
    Did they fix it in the 997.1s? Iíve heard itís the 997.2 that have the IMS issues resolved. But supposedly there are aftermarket parts that make it a non-issue on the 997.1 and 996.

    But Iíve also talked to a bunch of Porsche mechanics saying itís really a non-issue at all,,,,,I guess until it happens to you (figuratively). Man, who knows?!?!

  13. #13
    Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2010
    AZ Member #
    58431
    Location
    Atlanta

    Quote Originally Posted by ssc_rs4 View Post
    Did they fix it in the 997.1s? Iíve heard itís the 997.2 that have the IMS issues resolved. But supposedly there are aftermarket parts that make it a non-issue on the 997.1 and 996.

    But Iíve also talked to a bunch of Porsche mechanics saying itís really a non-issue at all,,,,,I guess until it happens to you (figuratively). Man, who knows?!?!
    The 997.2 uses a totally different motor, the 9A1, in which the IMS problems were eliminated, because the 9A1 has no IMS bearing or shaft. However, the 9A1 has early direct injection technology (no port injectors), so will suffer from carbon buildup over time.

    996s and 997.1s used the M96/7, which had IMS bearing issues. The 1999 cars had a dual row IMS bearing and very rarely fail (1%). Almost all 2000-2005 cars had a single row bearing that failed much more often (~8%), and the 2006-2008 cars have an uprated single row bearing that fails less often than the 1999 cars (<1%).

    The nice thing about the 1999-2005 cars is that the IMS bearing is serviceable, so you can replace the standard unit with an improved one when you have the car apart for major service (like a clutch job). The 2006-2008 IMS bearings are not serviceable, but very rarely fail.

    The ideal solution is to get a 997TT or 997 GT3, as they have the legendary Mezger engine, which has neither the IMS issues or carbon buildup issues that the M96/7 and 9A1 have.
    Garage:
    B7 RS4 (For Sale)

    Past:
    B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2010
    AZ Member #
    52877
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    I would say skip any sort of cabriolet and go for a 997.1S. Definitely a quicker car than an RS4, and a purer driving experience. Cabin is contemporary with the RS4, and the newer builds (07 and 08 especially) don't have any IMS issues at all. Ideally, a 997.2 C2S or GTS would be cool, but those are significantly pricier.
    Thats what I am looking at 997.1S cars.. I do however want an open top car, one of the reasons I am thinking of changing. I know it has some disadvantages but I don't plan on tracking it. I agree a 997.2S would be ideal just depends on how much I decide to spend.

  15. #15
    Established Member Two Rings ssc_rs4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2018
    AZ Member #
    412822
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    The 997.2 uses a totally different motor, the 9A1, in which the IMS problems were eliminated, because the 9A1 has no IMS bearing or shaft. However, the 9A1 has early direct injection technology (no port injectors), so will suffer from carbon buildup over time.

    996s and 997.1s used the M96/7, which had IMS bearing issues. The 1999 cars had a dual row IMS bearing and very rarely fail (1%). Almost all 2000-2005 cars had a single row bearing that failed much more often (~8%), and the 2006-2008 cars have an uprated single row bearing that fails less often than the 1999 cars (<1%).

    The nice thing about the 1999-2005 cars is that the IMS bearing is serviceable, so you can replace the standard unit with an improved one when you have the car apart for major service (like a clutch job). The 2006-2008 IMS bearings are not serviceable, but very rarely fail.

    The ideal solution is to get a 997TT or 997 GT3, as they have the legendary Mezger engine, which has neither the IMS issues or carbon buildup issues that the M96/7 and 9A1 have.
    What an education :) You spelled it out very nicely here. Thanks much!!

  16. #16
    Established Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    388112
    Location
    Southeast

    Well.... I did it. I purchased a 94 RS America last weekend....fully anticipated selling the RS4. I don't think I can do it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-sell the RS America.62746480-770-0@2X.jpg

  17. #17
    Senior Member Two Rings PigDiesel54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18 2013
    AZ Member #
    107784
    Location
    CT

    Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    Well.... I did it. I purchased a 94 RS America last weekend....fully anticipated selling the RS4. I don't think I can do it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-sell the RS America.62746480-770-0@2X.jpg
    Great car right there, by far my favorite interior that Porsche offered.
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 S4 Avant 6MT
    2001 Cactus Green B5 S4 Avant 6MT
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

  18. #18
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406741
    Location
    Dayton OH

    Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    Well.... I did it. I purchased a 94 RS America last weekend....fully anticipated selling the RS4. I don't think I can do it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-sell the RS America.62746480-770-0@2X.jpg
    Wow!

  19. #19
    Veteran Member Four Rings RAudi Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05 2006
    AZ Member #
    13954
    Location
    So. Cal.

    Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    Well.... I did it. I purchased a 94 RS America last weekend....fully anticipated selling the RS4. I don't think I can do it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-sell the RS America.62746480-770-0@2X.jpg
    pm me details on the RS america if you don't want it.
    Keyboard is on its way out. Please ignore any grammatical errors.

  20. #20
    Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2010
    AZ Member #
    52877
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Drove a few more 997s and decide to put my RS up for sale. Here is the link.
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...9#post13157649

    Darren

  21. #21
    Veteran Member Four Rings RAudi Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05 2006
    AZ Member #
    13954
    Location
    So. Cal.

    If you can swing a GTS then I'd try for one of those. Since you don't want to track and looks to be a daily or semi daily driver, don't get the GT3.

    Your RS4 is amazing and uber clean.
    Keyboard is on its way out. Please ignore any grammatical errors.

  22. #22
    Veteran Member Three Rings musanoadsaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2009
    AZ Member #
    37852
    My Garage
    2007 Ibis RS4
    Location
    Rockies

    DarrenJ, have you checked out Kulu Motorcar in Calgary?

  23. #23
    Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2010
    AZ Member #
    52877
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by musanoadsaba View Post
    DarrenJ, have you checked out Kulu Motorcar in Calgary?
    Yes, I actually looked at a 996 Porsche they had for sale a month ago... a lot of nice vehicles in that showroom.

  24. #24
    Veteran Member Three Rings musanoadsaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2009
    AZ Member #
    37852
    My Garage
    2007 Ibis RS4
    Location
    Rockies

    There sure are. Like a kid in a candy store in there.

  25. #25
    Established Member Two Rings MTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01 2006
    AZ Member #
    13047
    My Garage
    08 RS4 / 03 911TT / 12 C63 / 12 TTRS
    Location
    Campbell, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenj View Post
    I am thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a 997. I don't need the 4 doors anymore and the RS4 is not a daily driver. I have always liked the looks of the 997 and might even go for a cabriolet. I have test driven a few in the last few weeks but was wondering if anyone owns or has owned a 997 and what their longer term impression has been.

    thanks for any input..
    If you are considering a convertible, I would recommend a purpose-built convertible rather than one that's built as a coupe with a convertible variance. I drove both the 981 Boxster GTS and the 981 Boxster Spyder. Both provided an awesome driving experience. The exhaust note sounds amazing with the top down and at a little less than 3000lbs for the Spyder, they are great handling cars. Aside from my RS4, I also own a 996TT. Although, the 996TT is faster than the two Boxsters I drove, it drives more like a GT car and the whole driving experience felt more exhilarating with the Boxsters.
    Current:
    03 996TT Seal Grey (MT)
    08 RS4 Ibis White
    12 TT RS Suzaka Grey
    12 C63 AMG Saphire Grey
    Past:
    05 A8L W12 / 06 Cayman S Atlas Gray(MT) / 06 E46 M3 Conv (MT) / 06 B7 S4 Avant(MT) / 01 S4 (MT) / 97 M3 Sedan (MT) / 95 M3 (MT)

  26. #26
    Veteran Member Four Rings NastyNogaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 31 2006
    AZ Member #
    13013
    My Garage
    2008 RS4 Exclusive/Premium
    Location
    NJ

    Went from a B7 RS4 to a short stint with a B8.5 S4, then finally purchased a 997.1TT. These cars are an absolute blast. Mine isn't stock, but even in stock form (my dad has a stock 08' turbo cab 6MT) they are fantastic machines. The only thing I miss about the RS4 was the sound my exhaust note made through tunnels. I am sure when I get the Kline 3" catless for the 997 instead of the Fabspeed that's on it now, I'll be even happier.

    That being said, I would love to sell my Jeep and pick up another Audi DD, but maintaining an RS4 and a 997TT doesn't sound fun to me. Consumables are expensive (brakes, tires, etc).

    Here's a quick pic of my meteor gray 997TT with some GT2 bits:

    "Fazz" | Interactive Web & Application Developer | ig: @turbofazz

    2007 911 Turbo - Meteor Gray 6MT
    2015 Nogaro S4 - Sold
    2008 RS4 Exclusive/Premium - Sold
    2000 Nogaro S4 - Sold

  27. #27
    Established Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Dec 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    388112
    Location
    Southeast

    I ended up selling the RS America pretty quickly....probably too quickly as I realize I should have just held on to it - but too many cars.

  28. #28
    Veteran Member Four Rings Pilfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 13 2012
    AZ Member #
    105758
    Location
    To the Bay Area

    Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    I ended up selling the RS America pretty quickly....probably too quickly as I realize I should have just held on to it - but too many cars.
    Are you trying to get a 997 now? I bought an RS4 last week, Iíve had a 997 C4 GTS for about three years.

    997.2
    Mk 7 R

  29. #29
    Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2010
    AZ Member #
    52877
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by MTN View Post
    If you are considering a convertible, I would recommend a purpose-built convertible rather than one that's built as a coupe with a convertible variance. I drove both the 981 Boxster GTS and the 981 Boxster Spyder. Both provided an awesome driving experience. The exhaust note sounds amazing with the top down and at a little less than 3000lbs for the Spyder, they are great handling cars. Aside from my RS4, I also own a 996TT. Although, the 996TT is faster than the two Boxsters I drove, it drives more like a GT car and the whole driving experience felt more exhilarating with the Boxsters.
    I have thought about a Boxster, but have yet to drive one. Might have to.

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNogaro View Post
    Went from a B7 RS4 to a short stint with a B8.5 S4, then finally purchased a 997.1TT. These cars are an absolute blast. Mine isn't stock, but even in stock form (my dad has a stock 08' turbo cab 6MT) they are fantastic machines. The only thing I miss about the RS4 was the sound my exhaust note made through tunnels. I am sure when I get the Kline 3" catless for the 997 instead of the Fabspeed that's on it now, I'll be even happier.

    That being said, I would love to sell my Jeep and pick up another Audi DD, but maintaining an RS4 and a 997TT doesn't sound fun to me. Consumables are expensive (brakes, tires, etc).

    Here's a quick pic of my meteor gray 997TT with some GT2 bits:

    Beautiful car. I am looking forward to being a P car owner. I think I found the one I want to buy (link to picture), just have to sell the RS4. Wife says it has to go before a Porsche comes home :(

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hhv2mzqns...%20PM.png?dl=0

  30. #30
    Established Member Two Rings ssc_rs4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2018
    AZ Member #
    412822
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenj View Post
    I have thought about a Boxster, but have yet to drive one. Might have to.



    Beautiful car. I am looking forward to being a P car owner. I think I found the one I want to buy (link to picture), just have to sell the RS4. Wife says it has to go before a Porsche comes home :(

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hhv2mzqns...%20PM.png?dl=0
    No chance of letting the wife go and keeping both the RS4 and 997?!?!? Lol totally jk

    And youíre looking at a cab? Iíve always thought a 911 cab would be cool. But Iím sooo glad I got a 991 coupe. You definitely wonít miss anything but I felt like if I had the cab I wouldnít have the same experience. Itís great but just feels like itís missing something. Pure driving experience it just doesnít.... Actually kind of felt annoyed with the wind or lack of a hard roof when you canít deal with the wind. Although a little roadster like the BMW M Roadster I had or old old school roadsters Iíve driven were pretty damn cool. Never ever had the top up in that car. They just felt like two different application. Just my two cents.

  31. #31
    Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2010
    AZ Member #
    52877
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by ssc_rs4 View Post
    No chance of letting the wife go and keeping both the RS4 and 997?!?!? Lol totally jk

    And youíre looking at a cab? Iíve always thought a 911 cab would be cool. But Iím sooo glad I got a 991 coupe. You definitely wonít miss anything but I felt like if I had the cab I wouldnít have the same experience. Itís great but just feels like itís missing something. Pure driving experience it just doesnít.... Actually kind of felt annoyed with the wind or lack of a hard roof when you canít deal with the wind. Although a little roadster like the BMW M Roadster I had or old old school roadsters Iíve driven were pretty damn cool. Never ever had the top up in that car. They just felt like two different application. Just my two cents.
    It would cost me a lot more then a Porsche to let the wife go...lol

    Yes I am looking for a cab.. its one of the reasons I am looking to change my fun car. I know it is a performance compromise, but I am O.K with that.

  32. #32
    Veteran Member Four Rings Chuuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06 2010
    AZ Member #
    55634
    My Garage
    2010 911
    Location
    Boston

    I recently made the move and bought a 2010 C2 base model and love it. Similar situation to you where I do not commute any more and really am putting less miles on a car/ did not need the four doors with just me and my SO. My RS had 123K miles and I was looking to get more joy out of driving. For me it was a no brainer.

    I miss the sound, sure, but in every other aspect the 911 is a purpose built car. Comparing the two is difficult. The RS4 is a fantastic piece of kit all around.

    My 911 search was pretty specific, I ended up compromising on color to get the options/ spec/ maintenance I wanted- it took me a little over a year to find what I wanted. The 911 was attractive compared to the other cars in the segment because of the rear seats (going to keep it long term so, good to know I can throw a carseat/ young kids back there in a few years), ability to throw a roof rack/box on to carry bikes, overall ease and reliability of use, and getting in now made sense. I think 997.2s are a lot of bang for buck. Fourplay's description of the different model years is spot on, but it should be noted that carbon buildup seems to be much less than that of an RS4. There are some that don't even address it as an issue. At the end of the day it is a DI engine and it will suffer from carbon buildup. I make sure to give an Italian tuneup before I put the car back in the garage, just to be safe.
    Matt
    2010 997 C2
    1991 Titanium Grey 200 20v Avant

    Previous:
    B5 S4 Avant
    B8 S4 6MT
    B7 RS4
    Avantoberfest Sign up today!!
    IG@photoproto

  33. #33
    Veteran Member Four Rings vdubjetta02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2007
    AZ Member #
    16755
    Location
    Colorado

    I owned a 911 for the past 2 years up until my daughter was born. The driving experience was something amazing. I felt so connected to the car and how planted the rear end is even though the motor is hanging out over the ass.

    Regardless, the maintenance costs (while I could afford them) just got to me inside. I would have rather spent that money elsewhere. So I sold it.
    CURRENT:
    APR - B8 A4 Avant
    2008 - 4Runner



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.