Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings darrenj's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 RS4 Mugello Blue, 2017 A4 Scuba Blue, 07 BMW K1200GT, 2012 F150 Ecoboost,

Sell RS4 for a 997 ?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a 997. I don't need the 4 doors anymore and the RS4 is not a daily driver. I have always liked the looks of the 997 and might even go for a cabriolet. I have test driven a few in the last few weeks but was wondering if anyone owns or has owned a 997 and what their longer term impression has been.

thanks for any input..

Established Member Three Rings funkypterodacty's Avatar
    AZ Member #

AZ Member #

I'll be curious to hear this too. I love my RS4, had a 993 before it. Have recently toyed with the same though of replacing with a 996tt or 997 c4s/targa 4s. Have never driven either and would love to hear opinions as well. The 4.2 sound and power is so intoxicating, my fear is the flat six can't fill those shoes..but I still can't get over 911 styling and lures.Theyre simply gorgeous!
    rs4 mugello blue,Ti-current favorite
    b6 s4 avant blk/blk-57k 6mt.....my favorite..but gone
    05 b6 s4 6mt.....36k-gone
    DD -03 7.3 pwrstrk 6spd 200k and counting
    85 fj 60 lt1 and nv4500..Gone
    96-993 C4SÖGone
    78-fj40-smb350Öalum tub,aussie 4spd,orion t case ,detroit locked
    97-40th fj80 on 33's and arb front

Senior Member Three Rings MugelloB7RS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would say drive one and decide for yourself. I remember working at a shop and we regularly worked on Porsche and saw lots of 997's. I was lucky enough to drive many and they are fantastic cars no doubt. I always found myself after driving one for a few days missing the RS4. That was just me, maybe it was because it was mine so I felt a bigger connection to it, but I remember we fully built the motor on a 997turbo to ~1000hp and it was my job to drive it for a few days to break it in. Each day we would change the oil, up the boost a bit to make sure everything was working right. It was a machine and insane fast but for me, I kept missing the RS4. Maybe I was disillusion, maybe I have an extremely irrational love for the RS4, I don't know. There's no doubt that the Porsche's are amazing cars and I would never fault anyone who chose to buy one, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if you will enjoy it more than the RS4.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AW E30 M3 & PB B7 RS4 (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by MugelloB7RS4 View Post
    I would say drive one and decide for yourself. I remember working at a shop and we regularly worked on Porsche and saw lots of 997's. I was lucky enough to drive many and they are fantastic cars no doubt. I always found myself after driving one for a few days missing the RS4. That was just me, maybe it was because it was mine so I felt a bigger connection to it, but I remember we fully built the motor on a 997turbo to ~1000hp and it was my job to drive it for a few days to break it in. Each day we would change the oil, up the boost a bit to make sure everything was working right. It was a machine and insane fast but for me, I kept missing the RS4. Maybe I was disillusion, maybe I have an extremely irrational love for the RS4, I don't know. There's no doubt that the Porsche's are amazing cars and I would never fault anyone who chose to buy one, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if you will enjoy it more than the RS4.
    OMG, lately I also have an itch for the P car, but now with your post I better keeping my RS (or add one more in the stable, there are a few high miles but good shape around me that so tempted)

Senior Member Three Rings MugelloB7RS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by d2a4 View Post
    OMG, lately I also have an itch for the P car, but now with your post I better keeping my RS (or add one more in the stable, there are a few high miles but good shape around me that so tempted)
    What I like is not what everyone likes though. I do remember other customers that we had that had like GT3's, R8's, etc. some pretty wild cars and a few of them said they wished they had never gotten rid of the RS4. Again that's not everyone's opinion and everyone has different wants/needs but something to consider.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by darrenj View Post
    I am thinking about selling my RS4 and getting a 997...
    Tell me more about your RS4 :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MugelloB7RS4 View Post
    I have liked the test drives I have taken, but they are only short 10-15 minute drives, so I am still undecided . I know I would miss the RS4 the engine is a gem... but maybe it is time to move on. Tough choice!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Tell me more about your RS4 :)
    Quick overview:
    Mugello Blue with silver interior
    2nd owner for the last 7ish years
    never winter driven
    53XXX miles
    ADV wheels
    H&R springs
    Gutted precats
    LED taillights
    JHM short shifter and linkage
    Trans and diff mounts
    ECS H pipe
    Flat bottom RS6 steering wheel
    Clutch replaced last year
    Carbon clean 10K miles ago
    Tires 5k miles ago Conti DW 275/30/19
    I have all the original parts.. taillights, original downpipes, OEM wheels and steering wheel etc.

Here is a link to a picture (if it works)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp16mb4a63...-copy.JPG?dl=0

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Had 991.1 C4S before. Really liked it. It was a lease return. Was going to wait for the right 991.1 GTS or 991R to show up so I decide to get a RS4 as a ďtemporaryĒ car. Ended up buying two. I love how analog this car feels and donít really care how electronically assisted the 991s are. The 997 will be a different story tho. Also, I loooove driving a V8. Miss my Panamera tho. Just too bad itís not a stick.

Thatís my perspective from a previous 991 driver. Yes the power and quickness is incredible. But the overall balance of the RS4 I donít thing too many cars can match.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I would say skip any sort of cabriolet and go for a 997.1S. Definitely a quicker car than an RS4, and a purer driving experience. Cabin is contemporary with the RS4, and the newer builds (07 and 08 especially) don't have any IMS issues at all. Ideally, a 997.2 C2S or GTS would be cool, but those are significantly pricier.
    Garage:
    B7 RS4
    C7 A6 TDI

Past:
    B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
    I would say skip any sort of cabriolet and go for a 997.1S. Definitely a quicker car than an RS4, and a purer driving experience. Cabin is contemporary with the RS4, and the newer builds (07 and 08 especially) don't have any IMS issues at all. Ideally, a 997.2 C2S or GTS would be cool, but those are significantly pricier.
    Did they fix it in the 997.1s? Iíve heard itís the 997.2 that have the IMS issues resolved. But supposedly there are aftermarket parts that make it a non-issue on the 997.1 and 996.

But Iíve also talked to a bunch of Porsche mechanics saying itís really a non-issue at all,,,,,I guess until it happens to you (figuratively). Man, who knows?!?!

Veteran Member Four Rings Fourplay's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ssc_rs4 View Post
    Did they fix it in the 997.1s? Iíve heard itís the 997.2 that have the IMS issues resolved. But supposedly there are aftermarket parts that make it a non-issue on the 997.1 and 996.

But Iíve also talked to a bunch of Porsche mechanics saying itís really a non-issue at all,,,,,I guess until it happens to you (figuratively). Man, who knows?!?!
    The 997.2 uses a totally different motor, the 9A1, in which the IMS problems were eliminated, because the 9A1 has no IMS bearing or shaft. However, the 9A1 has early direct injection technology (no port injectors), so will suffer from carbon buildup over time.

996s and 997.1s used the M96/7, which had IMS bearing issues. The 1999 cars had a dual row IMS bearing and very rarely fail (1%). Almost all 2000-2005 cars had a single row bearing that failed much more often (~8%), and the 2006-2008 cars have an uprated single row bearing that fails less often than the 1999 cars (<1%).

The nice thing about the 1999-2005 cars is that the IMS bearing is serviceable, so you can replace the standard unit with an improved one when you have the car apart for major service (like a clutch job). The 2006-2008 IMS bearings are not serviceable, but very rarely fail.

The ideal solution is to get a 997TT or 997 GT3, as they have the legendary Mezger engine, which has neither the IMS issues or carbon buildup issues that the M96/7 and 9A1 have.
    Garage:
    B7 RS4
    C7 A6 TDI

Past:
    B7 RS4 Mugello w/Ti Package
    B6 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    B5 S4 Avant 6MT Laser Red Stage 3+
    B5 S4 Sedan 6MT Silver Stage 1

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thats what I am looking at 997.1S cars.. I do however want an open top car, one of the reasons I am thinking of changing. I know it has some disadvantages but I don't plan on tracking it. I agree a 997.2S would be ideal just depends on how much I decide to spend.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The 997.2 uses a totally different motor, the 9A1, in which the IMS problems were eliminated, because the 9A1 has no IMS bearing or shaft. However, the 9A1 has early direct injection technology (no port injectors), so will suffer from carbon buildup over time.

996s and 997.1s used the M96/7, which had IMS bearing issues. The 1999 cars had a dual row IMS bearing and very rarely fail (1%). Almost all 2000-2005 cars had a single row bearing that failed much more often (~8%), and the 2006-2008 cars have an uprated single row bearing that fails less often than the 1999 cars (<1%).

The nice thing about the 1999-2005 cars is that the IMS bearing is serviceable, so you can replace the standard unit with an improved one when you have the car apart for major service (like a clutch job). The 2006-2008 IMS bearings are not serviceable, but very rarely fail.

The ideal solution is to get a 997TT or 997 GT3, as they have the legendary Mezger engine, which has neither the IMS issues or carbon buildup issues that the M96/7 and 9A1 have.
    What an education :) You spelled it out very nicely here. Thanks much!!

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Well.... I did it. I purchased a 94 RS America last weekend....fully anticipated selling the RS4. I don't think I can do it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-sell the RS America.62746480-770-0@2X.jpg

Established Member Two Rings PigDiesel54's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by stanglife View Post
    Well.... I did it. I purchased a 94 RS America last weekend....fully anticipated selling the RS4. I don't think I can do it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-sell the RS America.62746480-770-0@2X.jpg
    Great car right there, by far my favorite interior that Porsche offered.
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 S4 Avant 6MT
    2001 Cactus Green B5 S4 Avant 6MT
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Wow!

Veteran Member Four Rings RAudi Driver's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

pm me details on the RS america if you don't want it.
    Keyboard is on its way out. Please ignore any grammatical errors.