Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

buzzing while braking

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've noticed a high pitch electrical buzzing sound while braking when next to a reflective surface (a wall for example) and the window is down/cracked. It's on the outside of the car, sounds like it's coming from the wheel well. It does it under light braking. Anyone else notice this or know what it might be?

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ahyeah View Post
    I've noticed a high pitch electrical buzzing sound while braking when next to a reflective surface (a wall for example) and the window is down/cracked. It's on the outside of the car, sounds like it's coming from the wheel well. It does it under light braking. Anyone else notice this or know what it might be?
    Itís the rotors. My car was doing it really loudly a few weeks ago even just driving around but now it has sort of shifted to only really doing it when braking. Kind of weird, but normal.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Potatohead_RS3 View Post
    Itís the rotors. My car was doing it really loudly a few weeks ago even just driving around but now it has sort of shifted to only really doing it when braking. Kind of weird, but normal.
    This, drilled rotors make noise.

Established Member Two Rings RezaWrex's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hilltop804 View Post
    This, drilled rotors make noise.
    This, This.

I get the same buzzing when driving next to walls except mine is constant and not just under braking.
    2018 RS3 - Nardo Grey
    2013 RS5 - Misano Red - Sold

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RezaWrex View Post
    This, This.

I get the same buzzing when driving next to walls except mine is constant and not just under braking.
    Same
    2018 RS3 - Daytona Gray Pearl w/ Alu-optics (Tech,Driver-Assist,Dynamic)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreCaesar View Post
    Same
    Hm, I would not have guessed it was do to drilled rotors. Rereading my original post, I should have made clear that it's fairly inaudible unless reflecting off a hard surface. Then it's more noticeable.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RezaWrex View Post
    This, This.

Same for me...and it gets louder when I'm turning. Could it be related to the wheel bearing?

Veteran Member Three Rings andru1313's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi 2018 RS3 2006 Evo IX MR

When driving next to that hard surface drag the brake and see if the noise changes. If so its most likely due to the drilled rotors.

Established Member Two Rings DQBRS3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

brake guards known to pick up and hold stones, I'd start there
    2018 Audi RS3 Daytona Gray / Alu / Dynamic+ / Tech / CF Inlay / Leatherette / Gray Stich
    2018 Audi Q5 Monsoon Gray / Premium / Convenience

AZ Member #

I've also noticed over the last few months that the sound happens while turning and no braking is being applied.

And, since getting the car back from the dealer for its first service, I hear what sounds like a dried leaf clicking around underneath the car somewhere (possibly towards the back). I hear it when driving fairly slow through parking garages, small sharp ridges or bumps seem to cause repeated jiggling sound. Assuming it's indeed not a leaf lol, anyone else come across this by chance??

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I wonder if the Neuspeed rotors do this? It seems pretty obvious to my ears and sort of strange. Do all drilled rotors buzz?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Have the exact same issue. It's mostly dirt and debris caught in rotors and the noise disappeared after a long track day for me. It came back after some more daily driving and I've tried power washing between the rotors and pads, but doesn't seem to do much.

Veteran Member Four Rings John P.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iím at 12k miles, and the (standard iron) brakes are causing a little bit of grinding. Not shaking the steering wheel like warped rotors would do; just grinding. The front rotors are also quite grooved. Car has never been tracked or driven that hard.

Anyone else?
    John P.
    five_cyl on Instagram
    -2018 Audi RS3 (Delivered August 3, 2017)
    -2011 Audi S5 (Gone)
    -2001 Audi TT (Gone)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Audi Q7, 2007 Acura TL-S

Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Iím at 12k miles, and the (standard iron) brakes are causing a little bit of grinding. Not shaking the steering wheel like warped rotors would do; just grinding. The front rotors are also quite grooved. Car has never been tracked or driven that hard.

Anyone else?
    I am at 10K and see a bit of grinding noise too.
    2018 Audi RS3 (Daytona Gray)- Technology/Dynamic/BO/RS Design/Carbon Inlays/All Weather Floor Mats/Macally Adjustable Automobile Cup Holder Phone Mount/Black audi rings

Established Member Two Rings Diversion's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I created a post about this a while back when my car was new.. definitely the rotors.. I have 5000 miles on my car now and it still does it.
    2017 Audi RS3 Ara Blue - Unitronic Stage 1+