Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2014
    AZ Member #
    294983
    Location
    pnw

    buzzing while braking

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've noticed a high pitch electrical buzzing sound while braking when next to a reflective surface (a wall for example) and the window is down/cracked. It's on the outside of the car, sounds like it's coming from the wheel well. It does it under light braking. Anyone else notice this or know what it might be?

  2. #2
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 06 2017
    AZ Member #
    409460
    Location
    Vancouver

    Quote Originally Posted by ahyeah View Post
    I've noticed a high pitch electrical buzzing sound while braking when next to a reflective surface (a wall for example) and the window is down/cracked. It's on the outside of the car, sounds like it's coming from the wheel well. It does it under light braking. Anyone else notice this or know what it might be?
    Itís the rotors. My car was doing it really loudly a few weeks ago even just driving around but now it has sort of shifted to only really doing it when braking. Kind of weird, but normal.

  3. #3
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 16 2017
    AZ Member #
    399582
    Location
    MD

    Quote Originally Posted by Potatohead_RS3 View Post
    Itís the rotors. My car was doing it really loudly a few weeks ago even just driving around but now it has sort of shifted to only really doing it when braking. Kind of weird, but normal.
    This, drilled rotors make noise.

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings RezaWrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 21 2017
    AZ Member #
    398174
    Location
    Edmonton

    Quote Originally Posted by hilltop804 View Post
    This, drilled rotors make noise.
    This, This.

    I get the same buzzing when driving next to walls except mine is constant and not just under braking.
    2018 RS3 - Nardo Grey
    2013 RS5 - Misano Red - Sold

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 07 2017
    AZ Member #
    397267
    Location
    Baltimore, MD

    Quote Originally Posted by RezaWrex View Post
    This, This.

    I get the same buzzing when driving next to walls except mine is constant and not just under braking.
    Same
    2018 RS3 - Daytona Gray Pearl w/ Alu-optics (Tech,Driver-Assist,Dynamic)

  6. #6
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2014
    AZ Member #
    294983
    Location
    pnw

    Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreCaesar View Post
    Same
    Hm, I would not have guessed it was do to drilled rotors. Rereading my original post, I should have made clear that it's fairly inaudible unless reflecting off a hard surface. Then it's more noticeable.

  7. #7
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 27 2017
    AZ Member #
    407569
    Location
    montreal

    Quote Originally Posted by RezaWrex View Post
    This, This.

    I get the same buzzing when driving next to walls except mine is constant and not just under braking.
    Same for me...and it gets louder when I'm turning. Could it be related to the wheel bearing?

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Three Rings andru1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13 2007
    AZ Member #
    17244
    My Garage
    Audi 2018 RS3 2006 Evo IX MR
    Location
    West Chester PA

    When driving next to that hard surface drag the brake and see if the noise changes. If so its most likely due to the drilled rotors.

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings DQBRS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    406748
    Location
    USA

    brake guards known to pick up and hold stones, I'd start there
    2018 Audi RS3 Daytona Gray / Alu / Dynamic+ / Tech / CF Inlay / Leatherette / Gray Stich
    2018 Audi Q5 Monsoon Gray / Premium / Convenience



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.