Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Currently only S4

NV emission test

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    i have a 01 S4 with 151000 miles. Trying to pass nevada emission test. had problems with test last year on evap system and had to replace gas tank due to cracks. This year, about a month before test, i got a CEL for cam adjustment. Ended up changing hall's sensor. Now, i can't get the evap or oxygen sensor tests to complete. I've driven about 400 miles since reset and they show "failed or incomplete test" on VAGCOM.

I appreciate any help. Tks.

Rob

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Currently only S4

Sorry, should have mentioned k04 turbos, bigger injectors, downpipes, apr exhaust. I am the original owner, avant.

Established Member Two Rings TheMysticWizard's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '15 A3 TDI, '14 Q7 TDI Prestige, '06 VW Jetta, '01 Allroad, '87 TransAM

With k04's and bigger injectors, i'm assuming you have a tune... are you sure they weren't coded out?

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Set readiness through VCDS and see where it is failing. It should give some information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysticWizard View Post
    With k04's and bigger injectors, i'm assuming you have a tune... are you sure they weren't coded out?
    "coded out" items would show as passed in normal Audi Engine readiness diagnostics because Audis system is binary. Example your EGR one will always showed passed immediately after a code clear because it was never "coded in" from the factory. If you go over to generic OBD2 (what you need to look at for an emissions test) you will see that the EGR just shows as not installed, while if some tests ran it would not show passed on the ones that are installed or failed/not run on the ones that did and failed (or didn't run).

As vavJETTAw36 suggested run through the readiness setting procedure manually to see if they run and pass, so much easier than driving around hoping conditions are met.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Established Member Two Rings TheMysticWizard's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '15 A3 TDI, '14 Q7 TDI Prestige, '06 VW Jetta, '01 Allroad, '87 TransAM

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
    "coded out" items would show as passed in normal Audi Engine readiness diagnostics because Audis system is binary. Example your EGR one will always showed passed immediately after a code clear because it was never "coded in" from the factory. If you go over to generic OBD2 (what you need to look at for an emissions test) you will see that the EGR just shows as not installed, while if some tests ran it would not show passed on the ones that are installed or failed/not run on the ones that did and failed (or didn't run).
    Hm, OK. Wasn't totally sure how that worked. Maybe it's different on different years and such.

Once upon a time I had a APR Stage 2 '09 CC that I put in "stock" tune and took for a smog test. It failed because the rear O2 sensor wouldn't show readiness. I contacted APR and they told me it would never show readiness, even in the "stock" tune they programed on my ECU, because in stage 2 form you need a downpipe which is either non-catted or has a high flow cat which would trip a CEL if it were not coded out.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Sorry, should have mentioned k04 turbos, bigger injectors, downpipes, apr exhaust. I am the original owner, avant.
    Damn, original owner... not many people can say that about a b5.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysticWizard View Post
    Hm, OK. Wasn't totally sure how that worked. Maybe it's different on different years and such.

Once upon a time I had a APR Stage 2 '09 CC that I put in "stock" tune and took for a smog test. It failed because the rear O2 sensor wouldn't show readiness. I contacted APR and they told me it would never show readiness, even in the "stock" tune they programed on my ECU, because in stage 2 form you need a downpipe which is either non-catted or has a high flow cat which would trip a CEL if it were not coded out.
    Pretty much works the same. The state saying they could not see the test just meant that it was showing as not installed on the generic OBD II they use, has you looked at it on your CC through VW/Audi system it would have just showed passed.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )