Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A6 3.2

Brake Vacuum Pump Replacement

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Does anyone have good instructions/video's for replacing the Brake Vacuum Pump on a 2008 A6 3.2?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

-Remove front engine cover thing
    -Break off the OE clamp on the vac hose coming out the top of the pump
    -Pull off the hose (it's just a barb fitting so it will pull off with some TLC)
    - Put some rags under the pump/ over the alternator to soak up the engine oil that will come out when the pump is pulled off
    -Skip the 3 front cover plate bolts. These are irrelevant for mounting the pump (as I learned my first time removing it), and feel around for 3 Torx bolts (do not recall the size, T30/35/40, one of those IIRC). I think you can SEE the top one, but the lower two you must feel for. If you have your new pump handy you can use that as a reference to finding the bolts on the old one
    - Remove these 3 mounting bolts and you will likely need to pry the old pump off. Make sure you pry it out evenly, a little on one side, then match it on the other side, etc... until you remove it. This pump connects to the end of the camshaft so you do not want to put any unnecessary stress on this end by doing all your prying from one side only
    - now that your old pump is off, NOW before anything, lay it next to your new one face down, and MATCH THE END THAT GOES ON TO THE CAMSHAFT (just spin the pump's mechanism until it matches the alignment of the old one). This is so that when you go to place the new pump, the end is lined up with the camshaft's end so it will make installing much easier.
    - Remove old gasket and clean the mating surface
    - Place the new mounting gasket on the new pump. You can hold it in place with 2 torx bolts until you get these threaded
    - Install is the reverse of removal

Note- When installing the new pump, it is normal for it to give you resistance when bringing it down on to the camshaft end. As long as you know it's lined up properly, bring it down SLOWLY AND EVENLY with the 3 mounting bolts. It's going to give you resistance, but it should move in as you do it. Remember that camshafts spin at 2x crank speed, so with our redline, the cams spin at 13000rpm, so this pump being attached to it has absolutely no slack. It's a tight fit. However, if you feel you are tightining and it's not moving down/ giving too much resistance, stop and confirm alignment!

MOST IMPORTANT NOTE- NEVER EVER EVER remove the pump's cover plate. It's a new pump, there's no reason to pull this off. If you break this seal, you may be kissing the pump good bye, so don't. Do it on your old pump if you want to explore its guts, but not on the new pump.

Good luck! This is quick, shouldn't take you more than 1/2hr is you're focused.

EDIT- have a new worm-gear clamp ready for when you re-install the vacuum hose back on to the new one
    Last edited by 95blkmax; 05-17-2018 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Forgot about the clamp
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

the other 2 screws are located under the vacuum hose.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A6 3.2

So my pump is leaking. Does that necessarily mean I need a new pump or just a gasket replacement? Or is it one of those things where if you are taking old pump off, for the price of a new pump you might as well replace it? And the last question is, would you only buy an Audi OEM pump or are NON-OEM parts just as good?

I also found this video. Seems to be the same as the instructions above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DntHmDXUxU
    Last edited by backsidedriver; 05-17-2018 at 05:44 PM.