Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Angry 3.0 Engine Clunking and High Idle - Not fun

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi!

My engine is making an absolutely terrible noise, I'm not too sure what is causing it. It started a yesterday and now along with the clunking, my car is consistently idling at ~1100 RPM even after it's warmed up. Seems to be coming from the front passenger side of the engine. Here's a video - https://youtu.be/5ON1_WYce2k

No CEL.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Alternator?

Thanks!
    2007 RS4
    Died May 2018 -> 2005 A4 3.0 USP, Symphony II -> RNS-E, 034 Control Arms/Snub Mount

Veteran Member Three Rings john_gonzo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Could be alternator. Two ways to narrow it down:

1. Use a piece of hose as a stethoscope to locate source of noise while engine is running.

2. Remove serpentine belt. Spin individual components by hand: Alternator, tensioner pulley, water pump, AC compressor.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the advice! So I ended up removing the serp belt and starting the engine(for about 10 seconds) and the knock was still there. So it's something internal. The knock isn't on the drivers side of the car either, only the passenger. Hmm...
    Last edited by kyletfoley; 05-17-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    2007 RS4
    Died May 2018 -> 2005 A4 3.0 USP, Symphony II -> RNS-E, 034 Control Arms/Snub Mount

AZ Member #

I suggest removing the passenger side upper cover for the timing belt. Removing air intake snorkel will make this easier.

The clunk repeats at such a low frequency, the only thing that comes to mind is a bad spot on the timing belt. Odd that it only shows up on passenger's side though.

Does it clunk when the engine is off but the key is in RUN?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Nope, just when the engine is running. I'll give that a shot and see what I can find, thanks again
    2007 RS4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Update: Timing belt is fine, noise seems to be coming from above the valve covers. Taking a closer listen, it seems like it is coming from D/S but not as loud. I can hear the valves ticking and they seem 'normal'. Almost seems like the noise is coming from the front of the engine primarily.
    2007 RS4

Senior Member Three Rings pablolizarraga's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    "Hers": SQ5 His: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

Is there any wobble to any of the pulleys while engine running? Judging by the deep sound despite serpentine belt removal, wonder if itís oil pump chain related. Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Pulled the oil pan, no shavings or sludge at all, which is a surprise for 135k miles. Oil pump chain is good, teeth look good, and it is taught... the mystery continues...
    2007 RS4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Did you check for codes with VAG-COM? A high idle like that can come from an engine speed sensor fault.

I would also check that the camshaft bolts are tight. I recently changed my timing belt system, and when I got to the part of loosening the four cam bolts, one was already loose. You will need to pry the circlips from the front of the sprockets, and then remove the plastic caps. Do one at a time, with a rag underneath because oil will seep out. The torque is supposed to be 75 ft-lbs, but only applied when the special cam locking tools are installed. But you can still put an 18mm socket on the bolt and give it a tug, to see if loose.

AZ Member #

Another idea - maybe that clunk is coming from the intake manifold changeover valve. The drive mechanism for that is under the "V6-3.0" cover. Might be able to feel the clunk through the center shaft.

Here's a vid of the changeover valve: Audi B6 A4 3.0 changeover valve

Established Member Two Rings DJHoro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Maybe a broken intake actuator valve had some pieces launched on to the intake valves and they're jumping around?

Veteran Member Four Rings SJorge3442's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Due to the way the cams rotate, I'm thinking this could be a cam related issue. I'd pull the valve covers and look at the cams. Could also be an issue with the hydraulic system too.
    2003 3.0 6 Speed - Quattro. 151k.

Senior Member Three Rings pablolizarraga's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    "Hers": SQ5 His: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by SJorge3442 View Post
    Due to the way the cams rotate, I'm thinking this could be a cam related issue. I'd pull the valve covers and look at the cams. Could also be an issue with the hydraulic system too.
    Good point. The noise seems to be slower rate than engine RPM. 2 crankshaft rotations is one camshaft rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Found the issue - turns out it was the timing belt all along. It had sections of teeth that were missing, and that ended up killing the engine. Thanks for your help everyone! RIP 2005 3.0 USP
    2007 RS4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sorry to hear that. Another reminder why the timing system needs to be serviced on schedule.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It was, belt failed with ~55,000 miles on it. Previous owner replaced the timing with an aftermarket one. No idea why he wouldn't have just got the OEM one
    2007 RS4