Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Sammiboy98's Avatar
    AZ Member #

APR ECMS Problems

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2000 S4 with an APR ECMS and I canít figure some things out. The booklet states the following:
    Tune 1: 93 Octane
    Tune 2: Stock Tune
    Tune 3: 91 Octane
    Tune 4: 100 Octane

I switched to Tune 3 and I received misfire once I got to 13-15psi or so. When I switched to tune 2, I saw no difference, possibly even worse? When I switched to Tune 1, I got stock boost pressures so I know that my chart is off. Is there a standard order that anyone knows of or do I need to take my car to a certified APR dealer and have them check it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings Corradovolksb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Sounds like your coils are worn out or your spark plug gap is to large causing spark blow out when boost builds. As the question in the tune I canít help you on that one sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

It would be helpful to know more about the rest of your setup, i.e. is it on K04s aka stage 3? Stock coil packs and ICMs? What cylinders are giving misfire codes?
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

AZ Member #

APR ECMS Problems

One of my coil packs was cracked and another was loose and the boot was practically ruined. Does anyone have any experience with coil packs other than OEM? I know itís not the Audizine way to recommend a part that isnít Bosch or Genuine Audi, but has anyone used coils packs from ‹RO, Delphi, or Standard Motor Products coil packs? All are around the same price but they are significantly cheaper. Iíve seen good review of them but might as well ask the pros.

Last edited by Sammiboy98; 05-19-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Delphi- Junk, Standard Motor Products- worse than junk, ‹RO-even further worse than junk

But you already knew this was the response you'd get. Lol

If I had to pick one it'd be delphi, but really the cheapest best option would be these https://www.europaparts.com/ignition...5105-beru.html

You can check around and see where you can find the beru units the cheapest. FCP Euro, ECS Tuning, EEuroparts, ect.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

APR ECMS Problems

Thatís good you found the issue. Your best bet would be to swap to R8 coils and get rid of the icmís and stock coils
    You should message Tim AudiTechs4 on here you you can find him on Facebook Tim Nelson he sells the coil conversion kits with genuine Audi R8 coils.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Corradovolksb View Post
    Thatís good you found the issue. Your best bet would be to swap to R8 coils and get rid of the icmís and stock coils
    You should message Tim AudiTechs4 on here you you can find him on Facebook Tim Nelson he sells the coil conversion kits with genuine Audi R8 coils.

If I were to go this route, whatís the process? Is this a plug and play, bolt-in, kit or are there plug replacements and other modifications? Iím trying to look around and Iím hearing of different spark gaps, different claims of results, wiring diagrams, ICM deletes and much more.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiboy98 View Post
    If I were to go this route, whatís the process? Is this a plug and play, bolt-in, kit or are there plug replacements and other modifications? Iím trying to look around and Iím hearing of different spark gaps, different claims of results, wiring diagrams, ICM deletes and much more.

The kit comes with 2 icm deletes that are plug and play. 6 coil conversion harnesses from stock to the fsi coil connectors that are plug and play and the R8 coils. You can also get the v8 Touareg adapter plates with the kit that hold the coils in place or you can go with the plates from Ecs. There is a huge debate on plug gap and plug type but I have been recommending ngk bkr7eix plugs at .028 gap to all of my customers and so far they are working great.

Established Member Two Rings mp3driver's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a 2000 S4 with an APR ECMS and I canít figure some things out. The booklet states the following:
    Tune 1: 93 Octane
    Tune 2: Stock Tune
    Tune 3: 91 Octane
    Tune 4: 100 Octane

I switched to Tune 3 and I received misfire once I got to 13-15psi or so. When I switched to tune 2, I saw no difference, possibly even worse? When I switched to Tune 1, I got stock boost pressures so I know that my chart is off. Is there a standard order that anyone knows of or do I need to take my car to a certified APR dealer and have them check it out?

Your turns are numbered differently than mine for sure.

IMG_0596.jpg

2001.5 S4
    6MT Swapped
    Still my Favorite Car!

Veteran Member Four Rings FlyboyS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5

I'd go with Beru as the cheaper alternative.
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 & TiAL 605 & FT F21v3 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyS4 View Post
    I'd go with Beru as the cheaper alternative.
    It could easily be worth the extra >$80 to get a part that will definitely fix all issues and potentially give me better performance and/or reliability. +Red is cool.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5

It could easily be worth the extra >$80 to get a part that will definitely fix all issues and potentially give me better performance and/or reliability. +Red is cool.
    What brand are you thinking is going to potentially give you better performance and reliability than the Beru coilpacks?
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 & TiAL 605 & FT F21v3 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

AZ Member #

What brand are you thinking is going to potentially give you better performance and reliability than the Beru coilpacks?
    I messaged the contact listed above and he states he send genuine R8 coil packs.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5

I messaged the contact listed above and he states he send genuine R8 coil packs.
    Since you like the color change it seems like a good choice for you. Any thoughts of improved performance or better longevity is likely only wishful thinking, it seems like more of a lateral move than an improvement, but nothing wrong with change to try something else.
    MyAudiS4.com

AZ Member #

Since you like the color change it seems like a good choice for you. Any thoughts of improved performance or better longevity is likely only wishful thinking, it seems like more of a lateral move than an improvement, but nothing wrong with change to try something else.
    Would it offer any more reliability considering the ICM delete? Also, in the future, I wanted to delete the stock air box and put filters on both turbos, by deleting the ICMs with the kit, that would help that process I think.