Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Two Rings Dru@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Dru@JHM's 17' Nano Grey A3 Thread

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey Guys!

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying every minute of it. Car is a 2017 A3 S-Line in Nano Grey! Picked the car up with 4,000 miles on it from Audi Palo Alto. Looking forward to being part of the community and contributing where I can! Here are some shots of the car. These were before the proper detail with all the goods so the paint looked a little eh but I quickly fixed that with a bit of time! Can't wait to start adding some parts to the car!

Here is a Dragy Result from the car Stock:
    Last edited by Dru@JHM; 09-18-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Welcome. I have that exact car. Iím interested to see what route you go with aftermarket parts.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Proper Detail and Badge removal off the trunk lid. I must say that the badges cluttered up the back a lot and with them gone it ads a little bit of aggressiveness to the rear. It's the little things that help make the car look different in a big way! The dealer had left a TON of hard water spots all over the car that needed to be taken care of before they etched the clear coat so we needed to whip out the DA and a few different pads.

Last edited by Dru@JHM; 09-18-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings seal66's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A4, 2015 Audi A3

Welcome to the club buddy...mines a 15 though lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2008 Audi A4 2.0T
    320awhp/420awtq...E85---UnitedMotorsports Tuned

2015 A3 8v P-Stock
    2003 A4 Avant 3L-sold

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

A few goodies from the people over at APR showed up! I can't wait to get these into the car and see the awesome fit and finish along with a bit more intake noise and performance!

Items that will be getting installed:
    Clickable Links Below
    APR Boost Tap
    APR Turbo Inlet Pipe
    APR Turbo Muffler Delete
    APR Carbon Fiber Intake System
    APR Carbon Fiber Turbo Inlet Pipe
    APR Silicone Coolant Hose
    APRSecondary Air Injection Filter

Last edited by Dru@JHM; 09-18-2018 at 03:17 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Everything is in and fits like factory! Love the sound and the added performance!

After a nice cleaning in the bay!

Before:

After:
    Last edited by Dru@JHM; 09-18-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Active Member Two Rings Chevyguy2021's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice! I have an 18 S-line! My plan is to get an S3 rear diffuser and exhaust first! Love your car!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy2021 View Post
    Nice! I have an 18 S-line! My plan is to get an S3 rear diffuser and exhaust first! Love your car!
    Thanks man! It's been a fun car so far even though it is mostly stock for now. The next step is the APR ECU/TCU Tune for the car!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

APR ECU Tuning and TCU Tuning going on the A3!

Also over the past weekend I decided to help keep the heat out of the interior and went with a full 3M Ceramic Tint all the way around and then the 3M Crystaline 70% on the windshield. Such a nice touch to add to the car.

Some Dragy Results:

Next on the list is Suspension.
    Last edited by Dru@JHM; 09-18-2018 at 03:47 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Suspension is IN! I decided to go with Solo Werks S1 Coilovers on the car. We took some time last night after work with one of JHM's awesome Technicians and performed the installation. Looking at this from a consumer side of the product here is my initial review on the entire process.

Packaging: Everything came in one big box packed in individual boxes within. Packed securely and well protected! One box even included a few stickers, lanyard and what I would call one of the most important items, a 1oz. Bottle Boeshield T-9 Lubricant/ Protection for the threads and collars.

Parts: Parts look just like the ones pictured on the website. They look well made and high quality especially for the price they charge. Shock and Strut bodies are well made and galvanized to prevent corrosion, springs have a nice powder coating on them and also a very heavy duty sheathing on them to help prevent unneeded noise from suspension articulation along with two metal locking collars for the springs with matching spanner wrenches. Parts also include a 3 year limited warranty. Also included in the box was an 11 page printed copy of the instructions they have on the website with assembly diagrams and step by step procedures to install the parts HERE.

Adjustment: Easy! With other coilovers I have had in the past the adjustment seems to be a pain. Spanner wrenches to small, not enough notches in the collars etc. The Solo Werks Coils were great. They had ample notches to grab the perches and the wrenches fit perfectly. I started with the units about halfway up and made final adjustments in the car. Piece of cake!

First Ride: With any modification you do to your car you seem to be hypersensitive to any new sounds the car might make. Clunks, creaking, a rattle all stand out with a new modification even if what you did isn't the cause. With these coilovers I didn't notice any of the above. They were as quiet as could be! The comfort level on the car is on par with the OEM. Body roll was reduced a fair amount and I'm sure once I add a bigger rear sway bar that will help a ton. Overall the car seems very planted and sure footed. I'm sure once I get a few months on these I will come back and make edits to this post.

Conclusion: For an mid-level, budget friendly coilover I give these a 10/10. The overall quality, customer service, warranty and ease of installation is great. Coming from a car with PSS9's it gives me the ability to compare them to these. The Solo Werks Coilovers stack up high on my list of favorable for many reasons for this particular car. We recently had an S3 into our shop with KW V3 Coilovers and it was a bit harsh to ride in, especially for someone driving the car as a daily. I'm sure on the track the V3's are awesome but not what I would look for on the daily. The Solo Werks gave you that firm ride without the abrupt rebound of the V3's. Comparing these coilovers to the spring kits out there is a no-brainer. You get a better ride than springs only with the ability to fine tune the ride height. You aren't relying on someone else to determine what your desired ride height should be. All in all a great kit for the price that you can be happy with!

You can purchase the Solo Werks Coilovers by clicking here: Coilover Kit - SOLO WERKS S1 COILOVER - VW MK VII 15+ 55MM (W/ REAR MULTI-LINK SUSP)

Here is what everyone really wants is to see pictures of parts and cars!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

What percentage tint do you have all around?

Active Member Two Rings Chevyguy2021's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dru@JHM View Post
    APR ECU Tuning and TCU Tuning going on the A3!

Also over the past weekend I decided to help keep the heat out of the interior and went with a full 3M Ceramic Tint all the way around and then the 3M Crystaline 70% on the windshield. Such a nice touch to add to the car.

Next on the list is Suspension.
    OMG in love. IDK how I missed this post. What are your thoughts on the tune!?!? I love that color!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy2021 View Post
    OMG in love. IDK how I missed this post. What are your thoughts on the tune!?!? I love that color!
    The APR Tune is AWESOME. The car for sure puts a big smile on my face every time i drive it. Its super smooth and consistent. The TCU Tune to match is a must! I will be installing a Downpipe shortly so i'm excited to switch to Stage 2 on the car. I have yet to take the car to the track but i will eventually get back to it. I used to race my B7 A4 a lot so im itching to get out there again.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Added a few more bits of power to the car this week with a JHMotorsports 3" Catless Downpipe (PM for details). Car retained the stock interior sound while adding a good amount of power!

Some Dragy Results..

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Nice car! Looking for one similar on the east coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Quote Originally Posted by rkrolak10 View Post
    Nice car! Looking for one similar on the east coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man! Yeah it was a long search to find this car with these options!

Forum Moderator Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Almost picked up a 18 Nano gray A3 but went for the S3 instead. love that color.
    B5 S4/Hawaii Region Moderator - PM Comments/Concerns

00 Laser Red S4
    VAST Performance | BLOUCH | AWE | EvolutionRacewerks | Volk Racing | Vogtland | STaSIS/Alcon | JHM Motorsports | RS4 OEM

18 Daytona Gray Pearl S3
    Stock Daily

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Which versions of A3 have the two single tip exhausts? I thought all A3s had the dual tip on the left.
    12' Audi A3 Premium+ | Deep Sea Blue Pearl | Open Sky | ST Coilovers | Full LED Interior | RS3 Front Grill | VMR V710 18" Gunmetal | Milltek Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Quote Originally Posted by abiley84 View Post
    Which versions of A3 have the two single tip exhausts? I thought all A3s had the dual tip on the left.
    I believe all of the 8P cars were dual tip on one side. All of the 8V options that i have seen are single on each side of the car. Maybe something from Europe with a diesel in it has them on one side of the car?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

Friday Bump. NEW PARTS COMING OUT FROM JHM for the MQB Cars! Thread to follow!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dru@JHM View Post
    I believe all of the 8P cars were dual tip on one side. All of the 8V options that i have seen are single on each side of the car. Maybe something from Europe with a diesel in it has them on one side of the car?
    No, I know the 8Ps are all dual on the left. But every single 8V I've seen are also dual on the left. Yours is the first I've seen with single tips on both sides. I even went onto my local Audi dealers site, and all their 8Vs are dual left side.

https://www.circleaudi.com/new/Audi/...0574c7a18a.htm
    12' Audi A3 Premium+ | Deep Sea Blue Pearl | Open Sky | ST Coilovers | Full LED Interior | RS3 Front Grill | VMR V710 18" Gunmetal | Milltek Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Also, beautiful car! Love nano, and I think I like the symmetry of your single tips on each side which is why I am surprised by it

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The 8V Quatros?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tdietro View Post
    The 8V Quatros?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    You're right! I just checked a Quattro online and it is single each side

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' 8V A3 S-Line

You're right! I just checked a Quattro online and it is single each side
    Yep this ties back to a Drivetrain thing. The 7 speed FWD versions have the dual single side exit tips!