Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Where did all of my oil go?? Valve cover raplacement aftermath

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey all,

After having a crazy 3 days with a valve cover replacement, spark plug replacement, and draining my intercoolers full of oil, I am still completely stumped as to why I'm losing so much oil!

I changed my oil out last night after draining the intercoolers and for some god damn reason after 20 miles my minimum oil warning popped up on my dash. What I need to understand is, does the warning pop up once the car is at 1 qt of oil or if it loses 1 qt of oil? It scares me knowing that after just 20 miles my car is STILL burning oil... any sugesstions or thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings Denio24's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hey the light will usually come on when you're a quart below to two quarts below. That's quite a significant consumption issue for a 20 mile interval. I'd say you have blow by. Is your exhaust blowing out carbon and black stuff?
    Garage: 2008 Quartz Gray Audi A4Q 6MT
    Tuning: JHM Tuned Stage 2 93 Octane w/ IE HPFP

Senior Member Three Rings a4lownslow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Where did all of my oil go?? Valve cover raplacement aftermath

If you were losing/burning a quart of oil in 20 miles it would be obvious (either smoking or significant leak).. and to clarify the light comes on when youíre down 1 quart from maximum. Capacity ~ 4.7 quarts light comes on at 3.7 quarts.

Have you actually check the dipstick to verify where the level is at? Itís not uncommon for those oil level sensor to go bad and give false warnings. Donít just start dumping oil in, over filling isnít good either.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings Denio24's Avatar
    AZ Member #

FYI when my piston cracked it wasn't smoking that much during load, at idle it was smoking a bit. The most smoke was on the first start. Also, if the spark plug is misfiring because it's wet from the oil, that will also minimize the smoke..... but, I'll note i had poor oil consumption.
    Garage: 2008 Quartz Gray Audi A4Q 6MT
    Tuning: JHM Tuned Stage 2 93 Octane w/ IE HPFP

Veteran Member Three Rings VR6Bomber's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So you changed the oil, filled it verified it to be full on the dipstick, and when your oil light came on what did your dipstick read?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings dalmation53's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Quote Originally Posted by a4lownslow View Post
    If you were losing/burning a quart of oil in 20 miles it would be obvious (either smoking or significant leak).. and to clarify the light comes on when youíre down 1 quart from maximum. Capacity ~ 4.7 quarts light comes on at 3.7 quarts.

Have you actually check the dipstick to verify where the level is at? Itís not uncommon for those oil level sensor to go bad and give false warnings. Donít just start dumping oil in, over filling isnít good either.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    That happen to one my my girls friends in her B8. Her oil pressure sensor went bad and she added oil quart after quart. She hydrolocked her engine and she was financing the car. She just let it go. I was like damn.
    Ivan