Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings altobeast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nappa Leather Passenger Seat Side Bolster Wear and Tear?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Rs5 2013 with 40k Miles.

Side Bolster is EXTREMELY cracked/worn, lots of horizontal line creases, to the point at where I am considering reupholstery. Does anyone know how much this costs for 1 seat? Would it be more cost effective to get it looked at it and fixed? Is this normal for the leather to be this worn at 40k?

Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic

nappa leather is very sensitive. if you don't take care of it since day 1, it can get really ugly. 40k is a lot imo.
    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | BT JB1 | Miltek Race HFC
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

IG: bknewtype

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bknewtype View Post
    nappa leather is very sensitive. if you don't take care of it since day 1, it can get really ugly. 40k is a lot imo.
    True, but the rest of the leather, including the more used drivers seat is pristine. So I thought it was odd that just the passenger bolster is the one affected. I'm going to recondition fully with leatherique to see what happens, but I'm not sure its salvageable at this point. I'm more looking into the cost if 1 seat is doable in reupholstery and if it will match perfectly/is oem leather that Audi uses color-wise.

Bought used at 35 and was conditioned then, so these cracks have just started to appear more and more.

Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic

Quote Originally Posted by altobeast View Post
    True, but the rest of the leather, including the more used drivers seat is pristine. So I thought it was odd that just the passenger bolster is the one affected. I'm going to recondition fully with leatherique to see what happens, but I'm not sure its salvageable at this point. I'm more looking into the cost if 1 seat is doable in reupholstery and if it will match perfectly/is oem leather that Audi uses color-wise.

Bought used at 35 and was conditioned then, so these cracks have just started to appear more and more.
    Its due to them rubbing against it exiting and entering the car. Well known issue. U need to pretty much not touch that part if u want it to not crack lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | BT JB1 | Miltek Race HFC
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

IG: bknewtype

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Palm down on door sill and lift yourself out...you younger in shape folk can probably rely on your core, but i use the sill.

AZ Member #

how fat was/is the previous owner? this leather is not meant to stretch
    2013 Audi [R]S5 Panther Black - Mods: who cares, it's slow. Edit: and now VERY loud.

Instagram: RS5_onthe_Run
    Instagram: Audisportboston

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by justcallmeblade View Post
    Palm down on door sill and lift yourself out...you younger in shape folk can probably rely on your core, but i use the sill.
    Yup I learned that from another AZ'er, the driver side looks really nice still :p

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is it possible the passenger seat has been repaired at some stage and what youíre seeing is the paint cracking? I guess that would become obvious when you apply the leatherique, if you see black color appearing on the cloth then itís been repaired. Allow the Leatherique oil to sit on there for a good 24hrs if you can, and keep applying it if it looks like itís soaked in.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRS5 View Post
    Is it possible the passenger seat has been repaired at some stage and what youíre seeing is the paint cracking? I guess that would become obvious when you apply the leatherique, if you see black color appearing on the cloth then itís been repaired. Allow the Leatherique oil to sit on there for a good 24hrs if you can, and keep applying it if it looks like itís soaked in.
    It might be, but the cracking is more than just surface, it seems to be cracking down into the material of the leather. I will definitely just let it sit for 48 in the hot sun and see what happens.