Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4

Error Codes and Misfires....

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So could use some help from guys who have more experience than I.

Car is stage 3 RS6 turbos, lots of upgrades for performance/maint/reliability
    Tune on the car is a base tune for those turbos and fueling setup. I plan on having it tuned by someone else sometime this summer

Car was in need of coilpacks and plugs. Car would stutter and misfire when I really stood on the gas in boost. Horrible gas mileage.

Had these error codes:

egt sensor 1 (17862)
    O2 sensor B2 S1 (16534)
    Random/Multiple misfires (16684)
    Misfires in 1, 2, 3 cyl. (16685, 16686, 16687)

So it looks like I have a bad egt, don't care because I am going to get a tune and have them coded out
    Possibly a bad O2 sensor. I have piggie pipes and my main cats do not function. I have Wayne angle blocks in the main cats that allowed me to pass inspection
    when I needed to.
    Possibly a bad icm.

Bought new plugs and while I was at it decided to do coil conversion to delete the icm's I went with the 4 wire coilpacks that bolt down like stock instead of the plate with 2.0 coilpacks.

Put BKR7E plugs gapped at 28, installed coil conversion/icm delete

Now I get the same error codes as above but am now running rich.

egt sensor 1 (17862)
    O2 sensor B2 S1 (16534)
    Random/Multiple misfires (16684)
    Misfires in 1, 2, 3 cyl. (16685, 16686, 16687)
    Fuel trim bank 1 (add) (17547) too rich
    Fuel trim bank 2 (add) (17545 too rich

Did measuring block 32 before and after the switch also:

Before: I was below 5% on in all 4 windows
    After: I am between 8-10% in all 4 windows

I went over everything when I was done more than once. This afternoon should have some time and will look everything in the engine over.
    Any suggestions on what I need to look at or measure on vcds would be great.

The misfires in cyl. 1, 2, 3 what could be causing that now that I replaced the plugs, coils, and icm delete?
    The bad O2 sensor is on the other bank. That can't be causing the issue can it?

Could use some help from more experienced members...

thank you
    Last edited by Guss; 05-16-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4

No thoughts from anyone on this?

Senior Member Three Rings slowSfaux's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You have all sorts of issues... Start with the O2 sensor. That's kinda important. Then look at your icm delete. Make sure connections are correct and clean/tight. When you say you went with bolt down 4 pin coils, what brand? Either oe rs6 or beru are the only ones I'd personally use.

Also the purpose of the egt is to add fuel when the combustion temperature is too hot. So until you tune them out, or replace them, we can't really help you a whole lot.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Bad Egt and bad o2 is definitely causing an issue. Donít wait. Or if you do, get an egt delete in the mean time.

Veteran Member Three Rings Corradovolksb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Check mvb 93 and make sure your cam timing is close to 0 at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings slowSfaux's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Corradovolksb View Post
    Check mvb 93 and make sure your cam timing is close to 0 at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or even better yet, pm this guy about remote tuning your car. He can delete those egts and help you figure out the rest of your ailments.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Agreed, replce o2 sensor and get the egt's coded out and or replaced then go from there.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4

Quote Originally Posted by slowSfaux View Post
    Or even better yet, pm this guy about remote tuning your car. He can delete those egts and help you figure out the rest of your ailments.
    Yes, I have talked with Brad in the past. Have already reached out to him.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4

Yes, I know and am in process of replacing O2, installing wideband to get remote tune.

Was seeing if anyone had ideas on why the misfires from before are still there after changing out plugs, coil packs, and icm delete.

Also ideas on why I am running rich after installing all of that when I was not before

I installed Bremi coil packs

Thanks for responding all

AZ Member #

Did you reset your codes after plugs and icm delete? That will reset your ltft as well. An egt will cause you to run rich and cause misfires in boost. Fix that.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Trb1 View Post
    Did you reset your codes after plugs and icm delete? That will reset your ltft as well. An egt will cause you to run rich and cause misfires in boost. Fix that.
    Yes, cleared codes out. I have been staying out of boost. I also thought that your exhaust had to get up to a certain temp before the egt's kicked in?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Guss View Post
    Yes, cleared codes out. I have been staying out of boost. I also thought that your exhaust had to get up to a certain temp before the egt's kicked in?
    Once the computer goes into open loop possibly. Just put a new oxygen sensor in and get a tune. I bet it fixes alot, if not all your problems

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Guss View Post
    If the egt fails a certain way, the ecu will think that the bank needs to be enriched at all times. They fail in really strange ways and definitely cause misfires and rich codes.

Clearing your codes will cause your fuel trims to reset too. So the ecu will have to dial the ltft back in. If itís a base tune youíre definitely running rich, and the ecu will take a bit to try and correct that.

Youíre dealing with multiple factors here.

Log bank 15 and see how often youíre misfiring on cyl 1-3. Generally a conversion done wrong throws ground codes as well as misfires.