Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings mrdouble99's Avatar
    AZ Member #

LED Headlight adjustment

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The dealer replace the driver side LED Headlight on my 2015 S6 and the same day at night i found that it was aiming higher than the passenger side.

A lot of people is flashing me thinking i'm on the high, and it's anoying AF.

I'm trying to find the procedure to adjust them, but everytime i found a thread, the pictures are gone... thanks to Photobuckets

I read somewhere we need to go in VCDS to put the headlight in adjusting mode before, because if we don't, the light will go back to the original positon.

thanks !
    Last edited by mrdouble99; 05-16-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Established Member Two Rings jinetics's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    GTR, GT4, RS7

There should be a manual adjustment screw / torx behind the headlight. We always perform adjustments after headlight replacements this way.

AZ Member #

There's 2 adjustement, one that has a L&R inscription and another one w/o inscription

I tried the one behind w/o inscription and it does nothing for the up/down

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A6 BiTDi, A3 E-Tron, A5 Cab

The dealer should have done hos job properly and adjusted the aim before handing the car back to you.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist,
    To be done: Alcantara interior retirm

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by morski View Post
    The dealer should have done hos job properly and adjusted the aim before handing the car back to you.
    lol, i went there 2 times and it didn't change

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

It must have a vertical adjustment somewhere. From that point, it self levels, but it needs to know where the 'baseline' is, which is done physically. But don't mess with the horizontal adjustment; that one requires special equipment, since it's canted differently for each headlight, with the driver's side more to the right, to avoid blinding oncoming traffic (right-hand drive vehicles are the opposite, for obvious reasons). Porsche blocks the horizontal adjustment with a (blue) cap that breaks the tabs when removed, so you don't inadvertently change it. Good luck.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by elptxjc View Post
    It must have a vertical adjustment somewhere. From that point, it self levels, but it needs to know where the 'baseline' is, which is done physically. But don't mess with the horizontal adjustment; that one requires special equipment, since it's canted differently for each headlight, with the driver's side more to the right, to avoid blinding oncoming traffic (right-hand drive vehicles are the opposite, for obvious reasons). Porsche blocks the horizontal adjustment with a (blue) cap that breaks the tabs when removed, so you don't inadvertently change it. Good luck.
    The problem is that i'm not sure if the adjustement behind the light is the vertical since there's no indication on it

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I haven't done this yet, so take it for what it is worth...could L-R stand for lower and raise? It looks like the adjustment screw will cause the piece underneath to slide forward or backward.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

LED Headlgith adjustment

Hey, I think I figured it out: You might have the wrong headlight. Look at the picture you posted of the top of the headlight...it states, ECE ONLY with a Dip rating of 1.0%. I'm not sure for Canada, but in the US we use a different headlight with a Dip rating of 0.7% Something for you to investigate.

Edit: just went outside to check my headlights. They have the same markings on top. So disregard the marking comment. Still look into the Dip rating though.

Established Member Two Rings Nully's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The procedure is documented in the "Electrical_Equipment" service guide: Here are the relevant pages I could find for the LED headlights, starting section 1.3.9:

It appears the front screw (1) is for height.

Adjusting Headlights-1.jpgAdjusting Headlights-2.jpgAdjusting Headlights-3.jpgAdjusting Headlights-4.jpg
    Last edited by Nully; 05-16-2018 at 07:39 PM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Nully View Post
    The procedure is documented in "Electrical_Equipment" service guide: Here are the relevant pages I could find for the LED headlights, starting section 1.3.9:

It appears the front screw (1) is for height.

Adjusting Headlights-1.jpgAdjusting Headlights-2.jpgAdjusting Headlights-3.jpgAdjusting Headlights-4.jpg
    Wow, thanks you so much !

Wierd that it says R&L on the front screw

Established Member Two Rings Nully's Avatar
    AZ Member #

No problem! I love how detailed these things are. I feel for the guys writing them cause I doubt anyone ever follows them to the letter...

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Unfortunately, L&R can mean left and right, or lower and raise. On this car, it's the latter, according to that document. Surprised the side adjustment is not protected at all. Oh well. Now we know. Good luck OP.

AZ Member #

TY Nully !

It was the R&L adjustement as explain in the document you post, now my headlight on the driver side is perfect !