Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Misfire Issue

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Misfire Issue

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I recently broke down on the side of the road. Car just died. i got it towed back to my house to take a look, my battery was having issues and wouldnt power the headlights so i checked my alternator and it turned out my alternator pulley bearing had seized up and i ran the battery dry. i bought new alternator and battery, installed them. then when i went to start it it would crank but no fire. I checked fuel, spark, then cleaned my MAF and it started up, but with a rough idle and a "cylinder 1 misfire code". I switched coil packs, spark plugs, fuel injectors and inspected all wiring, but cant seem to find the issue. if anyone has had this issue and can lend some help, it would be appreciated. thanks.

Veteran Member Three Rings audinutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A8l 2001 A4TQM Avant

You should probably check your timing if your alternator pulley was completely seized as possible that the timing belt jumped a tooth or a few

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    98.5 A4 1.8T

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I just pulled the front clip off to check. Doesn't seem to have skipped. Iv looked at everyrhing I can think of. Its just weird because it was running fine until the alternator seized up... The car runs and idles ok, but when you hit the pedal it sounds like a lawn mower.

Last edited by AzAudiA41.8t; 05-18-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added images

Senior Member Three Rings a4lownslow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

I donít see how a seized alternator that runs off the serpentine belt would ever cause the timing belt to jump. Completely different. Letís just say hypothetically it did jump timing, youíd have misfire on all cylinders not just 1

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings Rodgman15's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What year car? ICM is a possibility, depending on year.

Senior Member Two Rings Germanguy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Would a bad CPS cause it to behave like that?
    Harold M
    2018 VW Golf R
    2004 VW Passat 4Motion, 1.8T, manual: a.k.a the A4L :) FOR SALE http://https://www.audizine.com/foru...5#post13104365
    96 Audi S6, sold, F.U. NH emissions