Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings PSUGOLD's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Cold start rattle, timing chain or something else?? Video inside....

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Took this tonight, car has been sitting a few days since i was away. Been hearing a noise like this a month or so now, only happens on the first start of the day when car is cold. Thoughts??

2014 Estoril Blue crystal effect , Sports Diff, Adaptive Suspension, Carbon Atlas inlays, Side Assist, GIAC Stage 2 w/DSG, Borla Exhaust, Roc-Euro Intake, Left foot Pedal Adapter!

Veteran Member Four Rings RWD2quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus IS250, Volvo 850R, Ford tractor

Yup, mine does the same. Timing chain tensioner, thereís a TSB for it. According to my friend at dealer, it poses no risk/failure just noise.
    http://https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/780615-How-many-high-mileage-cars-have-timing-chain-rattle
    2014 S4, Audi Exclusive DRM, 6MT, 034 Stage 2+ E40, DP (3.362), AMS Cooler, Autotech HPFP, ADV.1, CR-15, Deval CF, ECS LWFW, Eurocode, SPEC 3+, KW V3, ST6 BBK, USP SS clutch line, XPEL full wrap.
    Gone: 2012 S4 Brilliant Black, Prestige, S-tragic.

Senior Member Four Rings Thurston's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RWD2quattro View Post
    Yup, mine does the same. Timing chain tensioner, thereís a TSB for it. According to my friend at dealer, it poses no risk/failure just noise.
    http://https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/780615-How-many-high-mileage-cars-have-timing-chain-rattle
    I'm sure it's unrelated but fwiw there was someone with a high mileage s4 on facebook who had a camshaft tensioner failure with pieces of plastic chain guide scattered about his engine and cylinder pressure issues. The tsb does state it's not an issue that will lead to damage.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Definitely timing chain rattle as others have stated. Iíd feel happier getting it taken care of, but Iíve also read some stories of people who had it done and had other issues once finished.
    '14 S4 P+ DSG
    '14 A4 S-Line Sport Package 6MT - Totaled
    '12 Tiguan SEL 4MO.
    '03 Mustang Cobra "Stock"

AZ Member #

Thanks. I may take my car in for the final Audicare in a month so maybe I will get it done then. Not sure if I will do the 45k audicare though since I am only at 36,500 miles now and just did my 35,000 mile one back in March. I was told my Audicare expires in July though so I would have to do the 45k mile service after around 3000 miles, at 38k or so.
    2014 Estoril Blue crystal effect , Sports Diff, Adaptive Suspension, Carbon Atlas inlays, Side Assist, GIAC Stage 2 w/DSG, Borla Exhaust, Roc-Euro Intake, Left foot Pedal Adapter!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston View Post
    I'm sure it's unrelated but fwiw there was someone with a high mileage s4 on facebook who had a camshaft tensioner failure with pieces of plastic chain guide scattered about his engine and cylinder pressure issues. The tsb does state it's not an issue that will lead to damage.
    Some owners oil analyses (higher Aluminum readings than normal) suggests otherwise and this issue doesn't only affect higher mileage cars. I just had my TSB completed and car only had 35K. For piece of mind I'm glad I did it.
    2014 S4 Premium Plus, Glacier White Metallic, Black Optics, DSG, sport diff, Nappa, B&O, AWE Touring/Res DP, GIAC ECU/TCU Stage 1, ECS CF rear diffuser, CR15

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PSUGOLD View Post
    Thanks. I may take my car in for the final Audicare in a month so maybe I will get it done then. Not sure if I will do the 45k audicare though since I am only at 36,500 miles now and just did my 35,000 mile one back in March. I was told my Audicare expires in July though so I would have to do the 45k mile service after around 3000 miles, at 38k or so.
    Are you sure? The literature says the 45K must be completed within 60 months of inservice date. My car was registered 3/14 so I would need to complete the 45K by 3/19
    2014 S4 Premium Plus, Glacier White Metallic, Black Optics, DSG, sport diff, Nappa, B&O, AWE Touring/Res DP, GIAC ECU/TCU Stage 1, ECS CF rear diffuser, CR15

Senior Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

I am not so sure what you all heard was timing chain rattle.The only time I can definitely say I heard it was first start in morning after car was not driven for 10 days. That was about 7 months ago. Recently after another 12 days of not starting car, I heard nothing. I always thought cars are always a bit noisy on first start as oil has not reached all parts of valve train.
    There are other videos on you tube that clearly sound like timing chain rattle. I just do not trust my dealer to do the job ,as they claim the have never done the TSB, as no one has complained!
    Last edited by jygesq; 05-16-2018 at 04:11 AM.
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Is that noise louder in the car or outside? In my case it was noticeably louder when sitting in drivers seat with windows closed. Sorta makes sense as the timing chain is close to the firewall.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That sounds exactly like what my car does. I've noticed if I park pointing uphill at all, there's never that noise. Point downhill and in just a few hours that noise will pop up.

I'll have dealer check it one of these days...

Veteran Member Four Rings RWD2quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus IS250, Volvo 850R, Ford tractor

What's interesting is that my rattle started shortly after hitting 60K (consistently cold/warm). I have extended warranty thru 85K but hesitant to conduct repair since the two dealers in my area haven't done it yet, should I go for it?
    2014 S4, Audi Exclusive DRM, 6MT, 034 Stage 2+ E40, DP (3.362), AMS Cooler, Autotech HPFP, ADV.1, CR-15, Deval CF, ECS LWFW, Eurocode, SPEC 3+, KW V3, ST6 BBK, USP SS clutch line, XPEL full wrap.
    Gone: 2012 S4 Brilliant Black, Prestige, S-tragic.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Corradobrit View Post
    Are you sure? The literature says the 45K must be completed within 60 months of inservice date. My car was registered 3/14 so I would need to complete the 45K by 3/19
    That is what the dealer told me after I had the 35k mile service done. The car was initially purchased later in 2013 as a 2014 model, I was the 2nd owner, bought in March of 2014 after it was repo'd. I guess the date Audi has was July 2013 as the initial date, but I will call to make sure soon. I'd hate to waste the service, but I also would still have to get the tune removed again which costs $$ and time to get the service done and avoid TD1 for maybe the last time.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Starman17 View Post
    That sounds exactly like what my car does. I've noticed if I park pointing uphill at all, there's never that noise. Point downhill and in just a few hours that noise will pop up.

I'll have dealer check it one of these days...
    Interesting you say that - I've also noticed that I hear the noise occasionally after the car has been parked over night, or even for just a few hours, with the front end sloped slightly down hill.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Rotors, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, H&R Street Performance Coilovers, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars+Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Corradobrit View Post
    Is that noise louder in the car or outside? In my case it was noticeably louder when sitting in drivers seat with windows closed. Sorta makes sense as the timing chain is close to the firewall.
    Seems louder outside the car, i took that with the window down and the phone outside the car. I can hear it inside, but not as much.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PSUGOLD View Post
    Seems louder outside the car, i took that with the window down and the phone outside the car. I can hear it inside, but not as much.
    May not be cam chain tensioner. Maybe others can confirm if they thought the sound was louder inside than out. You really don't want to risk the potential complications following the TSB if its something else.