Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2014
    AZ Member #
    287790
    Location
    Stow,Ohio

    Large Core Intercooler or Small Core for K04?

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have been running JHM's k04 kit for over a year on stock smic's. This is my daily driver and to be honest they haven't really been an issue. I understand in the middle of summer if I'm doing multiple pulls I may get some heat soak but for me they've held up fine.

    I currently am looking to upgrade mainly to JHM's small core or large core intercooler. Which do you think would be better for K04? My gut tells me the small core and the large core could possibly cause slightly more lag? Although I watched some JHM videos on YT where they put a large core on a tuned k03 tip car so I could be wrong.

    The plus side of the small core is you don't have to cut your crash bar all up. Although I would mainly want to get the large core incase for some reason I ever got a bigger turbo (Not for awhile really like the k04 ). Can anyone give me some advice? Looking to hear from anyone with either of the two or similar sized cores with k03/k04.






    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    The small core should be all you need. Thatís what I went with.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 17 2013
    AZ Member #
    117368
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Location
    jersey city nj
    Items for Sale

    Go big or go home is what I say
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2014
    AZ Member #
    139742
    Location
    Fairfield%2C%20Ca
    Items for Sale

    I come from a 1.8T background, but for a K04, the small core should be fine if youíre mainly DDing. From what Iíve searched so far K04 is the best fit for these cars. Granted once fueling is figured out, then you can push more air, but when will that be? The hardest part for me is how close the price difference is, for an extra $100, the larger core may be worth it; although like you said there will be a little bit of lag.....
    2005.5 A4 Avant

    99.5 1.8TQM; Maestro, A8 MAF, 630cc, GTX2867R, Scat Rods, IE 70mm IM, VR6 TB, P&P head w/ supertech v/s/r, IECVA3 intake cam, 034 ICM delete/FSI coil conversion, ECS RA4 Stage 2 clutch/19 lb lwfw, Treadstone TR18T FMIC, Bosch 040, JHM short shifter w/ 2"extension and solid linkage, KW V2s, 034 RSB & adjustable links. RIP
    Build Thread

  5. #5
    Established Member Three Rings B7S3wannabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 27 2017
    AZ Member #
    396459
    My Garage
    2005 ZCP Competition M3
    Location
    Burke, VA

    I have the JHM K04 with the AWE intercooler. No modifications to the crash bar needed and plenty of room for a BT upgrade.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2006 Sline A4 Quattro 2.0T | JHM K04R | JHM Tuning | JHM HPFP Upgrade, S3 Injectors, RS4 Fuel Controller | R8 Ignition Coils | APR Carbonio CAI | AWE FMIC | Golf R Intake Camshaft | JHM Lightweight Crank Pulley | USP Test Pipe, Europaparts Catback w/ Quad Tips | RS4 Front & Rear Brakes w/ JHM lightweight Rotors | Stern Adjustable UCAs | STX Coilovers w/Hypercoil Rear Springs | 034 Solid Rear Stabilizer Bar w/ Adjust End Links | B6 Recaros | Titanium RS5 Rotors |

  6. #6
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2014
    AZ Member #
    287790
    Location
    Stow,Ohio

    Valid points from everyone. Still deciding on which one to get. The small core seems properly sized but I kind of want to be the guinea pig and go with the large core. Ill decide in a week or 2. I plan on getting a few other things at the same time as well. Thanks for the replies.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by ESadowski72 View Post
    Valid points from everyone. Still deciding on which one to get. The small core seems properly sized but I kind of want to be the guinea pig and go with the large core. Ill decide in a week or 2. I plan on getting a few other things at the same time as well. Thanks for the replies.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Thereís no real big downside to running the big core besides lag. A core thatís too big for the air volume your turbo can generate will give you lag and worse throttle response because the entire volume of the cooler will need to be filled before that air hits the intake manifold. The larger cooler will obviously have more surface mass to cool the air which is a plus but at the expense of the 2 things I mentioned before.

    Itís not really a tough decision. If all you plan on doing is the K04, the small core will be fine. If you plan on going big turbo, the bigger one might be better for you.

  8. #8
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by B7S3wannabi View Post
    I have the JHM K04 with the AWE intercooler. No modifications to the crash bar needed and plenty of room for a BT upgrade.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    I think the AWE cooler is the best cooler going right now. Itís tall but itís also thin. The height gives it more surface area but its thinness allows it to stay cooler and dissipate heat faster.

    If they didnít jack up the price by a third of the old cost, Iíd have it on my car right now. 1500 for an intercooler is crazy talk. Even if itís great 😀

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2007
    AZ Member #
    16891
    My Garage
    2017 Mustang GT Performance Package, 1983 Chevy Silverado
    Location
    houston texas

    Lag is more so introduced when the FMIC piping is too large. I doubt the lag difference between the two cores with the same piping is even noticeable.
    2005.5 6 speed with the Premium, Lighting, Sport, and Cold Weather packages

    Pag Parts EFR 6758 kit, Pag Parts intake/FMIC/manifold/downpipe, Eurodyne Boost Manager Plus, Eurodyne Maestro, StopTech 332mm BBK, Stasis Touring suspension

  10. #10
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Maybe how noticeable it is could be up for debate, sure, but a physically bigger core with the same depth will always need more volume before its full, thus causing lag. No matter how noticeable it is, itís still there.

    Thereís a few more things that make an intercooler more efficient than the core size, absolutely. The piping, end tank design, fin design and how its mass is distributed are just as important if not more important than its size.

    Like a larger core thatís a half inch thinner might take the same air volume to fill as a smaller core thatís a half inch thicker. But the taller and thinner core will have more cooling surface but hold similar air volume and be more efficient with less pressure drop.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2014
    AZ Member #
    139742
    Location
    Fairfield%2C%20Ca
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by texasboy21 View Post
    I doubt the lag difference between the two cores with the same piping is even noticeable.
    IIRC, someone tested this in the B5A4 section a while back (not on these specific Intercoolers). I think it was about a 200 rpm difference (for full boost). Is that a big deal for a daily? Well depends on how you drive.

    The more area needed to fill with air, the longer itíll take to get to the I/M, like Evo stated.
    Last edited by B5A4coastie; 05-17-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    2005.5 A4 Avant

    99.5 1.8TQM; Maestro, A8 MAF, 630cc, GTX2867R, Scat Rods, IE 70mm IM, VR6 TB, P&P head w/ supertech v/s/r, IECVA3 intake cam, 034 ICM delete/FSI coil conversion, ECS RA4 Stage 2 clutch/19 lb lwfw, Treadstone TR18T FMIC, Bosch 040, JHM short shifter w/ 2"extension and solid linkage, KW V2s, 034 RSB & adjustable links. RIP
    Build Thread

  12. #12
    Established Member Three Rings StatusQuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    374714
    Location
    Northern California

    I'd go with the biggest you can afford and reasonably fit. That way, you will have lower IAT at high rpm. Running a staged tune maxes out the little turbo and it starts pushing hot air.

    To optimize the setup, get a thinner intercooler and don't bother with large diameter piping. You just want alot of forward facing surface area

    Also the FMIC can allow you to grow your mods without worrying about upgrading the FMIC.

    K03/K04 spool quick already. So any high rpm power you can keep/gain is a win in my book

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Audizine mobile app
    B7 Audi A4 Quattro - Built. Not Bought.
    Upgraded HPFP | RS4 Injectors | RS4 LPFP Controller | 175 Bar PRV | 50/50 E85 | Straightpipe Exhaust | Cold Air Intake | Big Turbo | Front Mount Intercooler | -- The Maestro Community Project --

  13. #13
    Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 17 2013
    AZ Member #
    117368
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Location
    jersey city nj
    Items for Sale

    AWE rocks
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

  14. #14
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 31 2011
    AZ Member #
    80618
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250
    Location
    Lathrop

    Quote Originally Posted by ESadowski72 View Post
    I have been running JHM's k04 kit for over a year on stock smic's. This is my daily driver and to be honest they haven't really been an issue. I understand in the middle of summer if I'm doing multiple pulls I may get some heat soak but for me they've held up fine.

    I currently am looking to upgrade mainly to JHM's small core or large core intercooler. Which do you think would be better for K04? My gut tells me the small core and the large core could possibly cause slightly more lag? Although I watched some JHM videos on YT where they put a large core on a tuned k03 tip car so I could be wrong.

    The plus side of the small core is you don't have to cut your crash bar all up. Although I would mainly want to get the large core incase for some reason I ever got a bigger turbo (Not for awhile really like the k04 ). Can anyone give me some advice? Looking to hear from anyone with either of the two or similar sized cores with k03/k04.






    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    You won't notice any lag between the two.

    The small core would be just fine on a K04. However, the large core performs a bit better than the small core so if you can go that route I would recommend it.

    https://jhmotorsports.com/catalogsea...?q=JHM+B7+FMIC

  15. #15
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2014
    AZ Member #
    287790
    Location
    Stow,Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    You won't notice any lag between the two.

    The small core would be just fine on a K04. However, the large core performs a bit better than the small core so if you can go that route I would recommend it.

    https://jhmotorsports.com/catalogsea...?q=JHM+B7+FMIC
    This is the answer I was looking for.. I am really glad I asked this question. Thanks again everyone for the help you guys are awesome. Jake you can count me in on a large core I will be placing an order from you guys soon. JHM ftw!

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 31 2011
    AZ Member #
    80618
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250
    Location
    Lathrop

    Quote Originally Posted by ESadowski72 View Post
    This is the answer I was looking for.. I am really glad I asked this question. Thanks again everyone for the help you guys are awesome. Jake you can count me in on a large core I will be placing an order from you guys soon. JHM ftw!

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    right on!



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.