Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

S3 B&O surround sound - can't hear a difference

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi, just test drove an S3 and hooked up my iPhone to the B&O system via Bluetooth. I was listening to some mp3 songs and could not tell a difference with the surround sound setting on max or off. Is the surround sound noticeable for you all and does it only work with certain music file types? The songs I tested are high quality MP4A format.

Thanks
    2005.5 A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro with Tip
    APR K04, 034 HFC, APR HPFP, AWE Exhaust, Vogtland Coils, RS4 Sway Bar
    CF side skirts and front splitter, S4 Blades, Rear Spoiler, S4 Mirror Caps, CC, OEM Bi-xenons,Fly300kts leds, S-Line Bumper, RS4 Grill, RS4 Fog Lights Grills, AG580 staggered, Rear Camera, Front/Rear Parking sensors
    Black Suede Headliner, RS6 Alcantara Steering Wheel, B8 Tip Knob with Alcantara boot, RS6 pedals, CF Trim, VW blue needles, Boost Gauge, RS4 Parking Brake Cover, 35% tint

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mudd1011 View Post
    Hi, just test drove an S3 and hooked up my iPhone to the B&O system via Bluetooth. I was listening to some mp3 songs and could not tell a difference with the surround sound setting on max or off. Is the surround sound noticeable for you all and does it only work with certain music file types? The songs I tested are high quality MP4A format.

Thanks
    Bluetooth Audio has inferior quality . Try either an authentic CD or put those same high quality audio files on a USB stick and see if you notice any difference.

The best is to rip CDs into lossless audio like FLAC

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

thanks!
    2005.5 A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro with Tip
    APR K04, 034 HFC, APR HPFP, AWE Exhaust, Vogtland Coils, RS4 Sway Bar
    CF side skirts and front splitter, S4 Blades, Rear Spoiler, S4 Mirror Caps, CC, OEM Bi-xenons,Fly300kts leds, S-Line Bumper, RS4 Grill, RS4 Fog Lights Grills, AG580 staggered, Rear Camera, Front/Rear Parking sensors
    Black Suede Headliner, RS6 Alcantara Steering Wheel, B8 Tip Knob with Alcantara boot, RS6 pedals, CF Trim, VW blue needles, Boost Gauge, RS4 Parking Brake Cover, 35% tint

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If you're thinking of picking up one equipped with the B&O: pass. The $ add-on is the biggest waste of money IMO. The JBL in my gen 3 prius DD is even better than the B&O in my s3. The worst system ever. I would've rather got a stock stereo, which would've been cheaper and easier to upgrade.
    17' Nano / RSe102 / MPSS / Pss10s / UM st.2

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hmmm I rather like the B&O system in the S3, and certainly better than my R8 or Highlander or A6 Bose audio (though Bose wasn't bad either). Surround sound is VERY noticeable but depends on the source of course...
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Established Member Two Rings ReUhssurance's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Hmmm I rather like the B&O system in the S3, and certainly better than my R8 or Highlander or A6 Bose audio (though Bose wasn't bad either). Surround sound is VERY noticeable but depends on the source of course...
    I had heard from a friend that's in music live performance and stuff that he trusted Bluetooth these days. He's a pretty big audiophile guy and I don't have a reason to not trust him but I'm pretty skeptical as well. If someone plays high quality files via bluetooth you should only be at the whim of the connection from the bluetooth device to the receiver and in a car it can't be as much as a live performance stage. Is there something that I'm missing? I'll be playing with it myself but I don't get my S3 until the end of the week (just barely got to the port)
    2008 RS4

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Bluetooth has audio improved. That improvement in audio quality is because of a codec, aptX. It was created by Qualcomm and there have a few updates to it since it was first released. The two Bluetooth devices connecting to each other have to support it in order to take advantage. I don't know if the Audi MMI supports it or not. Nearly every Bluetooth product released within the last 5 years supports it. But I can't speak for car manufacturers.

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm no audiophile but I wouldn't get an Audi without B&O anymore and I like it better than any other factory car audio I've heard. With decent source files on my iPhone over bluetooth I think the audio is pretty dang good, though the sound stage in the S3 is way better than the R8. I roll with the windows down too which seems to enhance the surround effect. YMMV....
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Established Member Two Rings ReUhssurance's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by liljonny16 View Post
    Bluetooth has audio improved. That improvement in audio quality is because of a codec, aptX. It was created by Qualcomm and there have a few updates to it since it was first released. The two Bluetooth devices connecting to each other have to support it in order to take advantage. I don't know if the Audi MMI supports it or not. Nearly every Bluetooth product released within the last 5 years supports it. But I can't speak for car manufacturers.
    Interesting, ty for the reading material that I'm sure I will come out of in a few days =P
    2008 RS4